• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help me fire a new hire

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
These guys are looking for workers not projects

We have a guy at my job... IDK why he hasn't been fired yet. Dude takes naps in his boss' office when she's not here, he works standing up (and directly faces my desk + makes everyone in his proximity generally uncomfortable) and is just a bit off. Sucks cause I guess dude is a good worker, but he's awkward as hell, to the point that you don't wanna be around him

So did Donald Rumsfeld.

All I'm saying is that they saw enough in this guy to hire him, why out and out fire him (all of which takes a lot of time/money/paperwork).

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Do you live in France? If not, you should move there. You'd appreciate their labor laws, which I hear are working out ready well for them.
Actually, I am indeed of French heritage, although I grew up and live in Canada (no, not French-Canadian, but a kid of immigrants from a poor part of southern France). I have also lived some of my life in the US (MA). Yes, there are labor laws in France, and they protect the worker to a greater extent than in North America, or those paradises of happy productivity like China or Indonesia. However, a French worker is, on average, more productive than an American worker in terms of contribution to GDP....although s/he is entitled to long lunch breaks, 6 weeks paid vacation, early retirement, rights to unionize and strike, etc etc etc. So I really do think there is more to work than actually being on the grind... However, that said, France is increasingly becoming like the US, culturally, including in the business world. France is a bit lost on many issues, including where it is going socially and culturally, and French politics is fucked up (their version of Sarah Palin is a nutjob called Jean-Marie Le Pen, who actually may have some mental issues and who has taken over completely the political dialogue to excluding other serious issues, including the fact that Europe is in financial meltdown and this bailout **** cannot go on). Although France has many many nice things about it, the US is better is many ways, and most French will not disagree with that. However, ridiculous working conditions is not one of them.

ktrp

Reaction score
The problem with european labour laws is that it makes companies very hesitant to offer anyone permanent employment. The unemployment rate for workers in france under age 25 is 25%. The unemployment rate for immigrants is twice the national average. Companies cannot afford to give people a chance.

Canada falls somewhere in the middle, and the U.S. is more extreme in terms of weak worker rights. There is a noticeable difference between Canadian and u.s. firms willing to try a new employee with less experience but good potential. Canadians are much more restrictive about hiring 'safe' candidates. The U.S. has much more of a 'lets give them a shot' attitude, and that's a big plus.

If you want to take care of people, you're better off to have the government do that rather then trying to make companies do it, because employment is optional for both parties. I believe Denmark for example tries to move in that direction - a relatively free and flexible job market compared to most western european countries but with a better social safety net then the U.S.

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
- Do it first thing in the morning
- make it the first thing you say in your meeting, dont lead up to it
- NEVER say "im sorry"
- Always use "we" instead of "I"
- Shake his hand and walk him out like a man

That sounds so fimiliar. Is it from George Clooney's Up in the Air?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kiwi Man
That sounds so fimiliar. Is it from George Clooney's Up in the Air?

No... just from my brain.
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads