• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help me fire a new hire

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A.L.Z.
GIve him 2 weeks before you do anything.

Originally Posted by Fraiche
Give him a couple of tasks you know he will fail in.

Document them. Then fire at will.

Two pieces of bad advice. Don't wait two weeks. Also, do more than document his failures. Document that you provided proper instruction, gave constructive feed back and/or further training, progressive discipline, then terminated.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
This. And learn to interview better.

Also, still expect to lose your unemployment hearing.

Originally Posted by Fraiche
Give him a couple of tasks you know he will fail in.

Document them. Then fire at will.

i didnt do the hire, he was hired at one of our other stores then sent to me. i suspect the original guy who hired him was to big of a ***** to do the firing himself. he acted like he was doing me a favor by sending me a new salesman.

thankfuly baltimore is a fire at will place so i dont need any specific reason. i just want some pointers on how to word it. i could just say get the **** out but i want to be nicer about it

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
i didnt do the hire, he was hired at one of our other stores then sent to me. i suspect the original guy who hired him was to big of a ***** to do the firing himself. he acted like he was doing me a favor by sending me a new salesman.

thankfuly baltimore is a fire at will place so i dont need any specific reason. i just want some pointers on how to word it. i could just say get the **** out but i want to be nicer about it

Just tell the guy he's not a good fit for the position.

Tell him you had the position for someone about 5'6, 110 lbs with DDs.

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Two pieces of bad advice. Don't wait two weeks. Also, do more than document his failures. Document that you provided proper instruction, gave constructive feed back and/or further training, progressive discipline, then terminated.

LOL.
I take you work by yourself, or run your own business, or something like that?

Do you think others around you are blind or stupid?

People around you always become remarkably righteous when it coming to firing....and you are doing the firing....

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ooo does mean there will be a job opening in Baltimore? I have extensive experience in luxury sales and a great schedule.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Be less of a marsupial when hiring.

i already addressed this

Originally Posted by Magician
Ooo does mean there will be a job opening in Baltimore? I have extensive experience in luxury sales and a great schedule.

the job is as far from luxury sales as possible i target the masses not the classes

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A.L.Z.
LOL.
I take you work by yourself, or run your own business, or something like that?

Do you think others around you are blind or stupid?

People around you always become remarkably righteous when it coming to firing....and you are doing the firing....

Wow, you nailed me! Not a chance I have 100s of employees, is there? I mean, out of ******* no where, I told this guy how to carefully and legally terminate someone in a fashion designed to mitigate litigation risk and making it a sure win in the unemployment hearing. If you let things go, for any length of time (which is what you suggested) and litigation occurs, you will be asked why you allowed substandard behaviour and/or practices to continue. Your answer will be...? Because? Judges and opposing council JUST LOVE to hear that.
laugh.gif

I can tell you are a titan of industry and probably employ more people than the federal government and Wal-Mart combined!

facepalm.gif
Employment (not fire) at will does not mean you are not open to employment litigation and having to pay this guy's unemployment.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
^
laugh.gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michigan Planner
I think you need to call in these folks to take care of business:
clooney-up-in-the-air.jpg

i always wondered if that was a real job?

changy

Reaction score
just got a new hire, seemed ok.

its clear he is a marsupial, he just asked a customer if they had an arranged marriage i found him sitting at my desk going through the rolodex to call vendors to say hi and place an order on his 2nd day it only gets worse but i suck at firing

any help?

People still use rolodex? Ask him to transfer the rolodex info to outlook to bore him out of his mind. Maybe he'll quit

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnHolgu