• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Having some job issues

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butter
QFT.

Being on a campaign should be like being on a rock tour to you. If that's not what it feels like, political science is most likely not your field.

LOL, a campaign is not political science. Not by any metric.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Bradford's right about the danger in going over your boss's head. On the other hand, if I was el numero uno, and one of my #2's was keeping his guys from even having time to get basic **** done, I'd want to know so I could put they kybosh on it.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I think the problem is the way Conne is approaching this.

He stated that he wants one day or two half days off per week and I'm guessing he thinks those should be specific days that take place each week, i.e. Saturdays or Sundays or some such.

The problem is that political campaigns don't work that way. You can't schedule specific days off because stuff is happening everyday.

I'm sure there is some downtime where he can get stuff done like laundry or grocery shopping and using that time for an hour or two on a slow day would probably not be an issue, but if it is, there are plenty of other options.

When I worked my first campaign out of college I used the "Bachelor Bundle" service at a nearby laundromat where I would drop off my clothes and pick them up a few days later. There were also several times where I ran into the nearest store (nothing fancy, mostly Sears or JC Penney) and bought a new dress shirt that I wore right out of the package. I did the same with packs of underwear if I couldn't get my laundry done.

Heck, these days you could just use this...http://www.manpacks.com/

As for food, what type of campaign doesn't consistently have pizza or other food in the HQ?

The way I see it is that Conne wants time off to go have fun with friends and that just isn't something that happens on the campaign trail.

If you're going to drink with someone you drink with your fellow campaign workers and no matter how late you stay out, you show up the next morning and work your ass off.

jesmin

Reaction score
In today's era everyone wants to job but no one wants to do hard work and they just want it from their smart work...

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt complain so much as let it be known how hard everyone in your team is working and the toll its taking. subtle of course.

i bet most of the people saying suck it up have never missed a weekend in their lives.

i worked 3 weeks without a weekend for 12 hour days in pretty stressfull conditions and needed nearly 2 days sleep to recover. it takes its toll. you just need to assess if its worthwhile or not.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
This is why there are so many people who go from campaigns to law school. It's really the perfect training ground for law school and the grind of large law firms. You get used to working 7 days a week and sleeping on floors.

Princeton will love it!

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
Lawlz at Democrats abusing the rights of the working man.
This is true. I think the most party-approved solution for this (I just glanced over the DNC party platform) is for Conne to form a union with the other campaign workers, for better pay and lower hours, with government mandated breaks and time-off from work. Also, every day that he works is one free day of paid vacation, if he were to be fired before the election is over. Your bosses should love this idea
fing02[1].gif
It's perfectly in-line with their view of how corporations should treat workers. You'll really be showing your dedication to the party then! welcome to the real world, kid

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Still having trouble understanding how you aren't entitled to OT pay (other than the fact that it is pretty much standard fare to screw people out of OT).

To be classified exempt you must pass all the tests in one of the categories...
Are you paid a *salary* of more than 455 a week? If not, fail.
Executive - You can't hire/fire, and you don't manage. Fail.
Administrative - Campaign work may sound like administrative work...but I'm not so sure it really counts since a lot of it is probably operating work and not secretary style admin stuff. Also, I am not sure your "primary duty" includes discretion and judgement with regards to matters of significance--that is probably left to somebody higher up. Maybe Fail.
Professional - Campaign work certainly does not requires advanced or specialized knowledge in a field of science or learning...and you haven't gone to to a specialized school (and even if you were, you certainly spend 20% of your time on non-exempt activities). Fail.

Sure, corporate America abuses exemptions all the time, but it would look pretty bad for a dem campaign to be screwing with the FLSA. Shouldn't they just pay you a wage so low that you have to work an ass ton of overtime?

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What the hell did you expect being the bottom ***** on a campaign? Now your micromanaging supervisor seems like a dick, but that doesn't change the fact that you should stop your whining.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Form a labor union. Get some of those satin varsity jackets with ugly patches and change your name to Lou. You'll be working 30 hours with a pension package in no time.

ektaylor

Reaction score
GOTV GOTV GOTV. Organize yourself out of the job, Conne. Spending 14 hours a day on VAN is the best thing ever. I really don't understand anyone who complains about the long hours on a campaign or who still expects to have a life. I have 3 days off Saturday to Monday and I have absolutely no idea what the **** I'm going to do with myself.

Are you allowed to drink on the job? I could see how things would get difficult if my 3pm beer(s) weren't kosher.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonystark99