• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have two shoes--where to go from here?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks, guys, for all the feedback  You rock.  I wanted to provide an update on the shoe sitch.  I've since picked up a few additional pairs. Long story short I kind of got obsessed and blew my budget limits per shoe.  I even got more fun socks (kudos to Piper).  Without further ado... (will follow-up with some pics when I get home from work) and in chronological progression:

[*] Santoni captoe with some broguing--blucher--in a merlot (reddish brown).  I kind of regret this purchase.
[*] C&J Chadwick 2 single monk--in Chestnut (like a merlot).  It's a cool shoe and I'm getting more into monks.  Might look into a double monk later on.
[*] EG Malvern 82 last in Dark Oak
[*] G&G St. James TG73 last in Vintage Cherry
[*] John Lobb Hutton in Parisian Museum Brown
[*] G&G Cambridge DG70 last in Vintage Rioja
[/LIST]

I think I've exhausted myself for the time being (and my bank account), but am on the lookout for a lighter brown shoe (like an EG 888 last in Edwardian Antique or G&G TG73 in Antique Chestnut/Pine), maybe a double monk (e.g., EG Westminster), and probably a black balmoral down the road (not a priority as I don't often need to wear black).

Other stuff I've considered but not sure I would pull the trigger on include cordovan as well as loafers.  Considering suede as well as chukkas, but not a priority...

why?

Last edited:

Breedlove

Reaction score
-Alden #8 LWB.
-AE Strands in Walnut

thewral

Reaction score

They were pretty expensive--and just the main line (not FAM)... for the same price I could have gotten C&J handgrade (or other, higher-quality shoes). Also, comparing it to some of the English shoes I bought, the last isn't quite as flattering. Plus, reflecting back I wish it was a balmoral.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

They were pretty expensive--and just the main line (not FAM)... for the same price I could have gotten C&J handgrade (or other, higher-quality shoes).  Also, comparing it to some of the English shoes I bought, the last isn't quite as flattering.
 Plus, reflecting back I wish it was a balmoral.

ah, ok. balmorals do not fit me very well hence i do not mind them much.

thewral

Reaction score
Posted the EG and GG in the respective photo threads... Didn't see a JL one.. so here goes:

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go with either a brown brogued or a #8 or burgundy cordovan to round those out.

Be careful or else you'll get sucked in. Don't be like me and end up with a walk-in closet full of unworn shoes.

lestyr3

Reaction score
Sportin' is right. In fact, I'd go further and say (NOT for budgetary reasons) don't buy any more shoes the rest of the year.

Here's what I mean: you have 6 (6!) pairs of new shoes. Take the next 6 months, and figure out how much you use each. Include how much you use each casually; you can use brogued dress shoes with jeans more often than you'd think. Anyway, tabulate how much each is used, then figure out needs come Christmas time. I'll lobby again for chukkas or chelseas, as those have lots of extra casual uses, but go get some data on what's most actually useful to you. I'd say don't even think about it again until you've figured out usage a bit better.

In the meantime: your bank account hates you, but I for one admire you. Good job.

lestyr3

Reaction score
Oh, and apologies if you're already there, but don't forget to have sober socks as well as fun socks to go with those great shoes. Don't want the socks to be undoing great shoes. Look up the online store "Mes Chausettes Rouges" for some truly exquisite things in both veins.

thewral

Reaction score
Oh, and apologies if you're already there, but don't forget to have sober socks as well as fun socks to go with those great shoes. Don't want the socks to be undoing great shoes. Look up the online store "Mes Chausettes Rouges" for some truly exquisite things in both veins.

Hey--thanks for the feedback. I'm in total agreeance of both of your points... pretty much done for now. Am going to focus on enjoying the shoes that I have (and better figuring out my own tastes, preferences, and needs). I was originally on the lookout for 1-2 additional shoes and got a little obsessed!

Plus, the fiance has gotten a bit jealous and is wondering when it's "her turn..."

Also, thanks for the tip on the socks--will check them out.

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

• Santoni captoe with some broguing--blucher--in a merlot (reddish brown).  I kind of regret this purchase.
  • C&J Chadwick 2 single monk--in Chestnut (like a merlot).  It's a cool shoe and I'm getting more into monks.  Might look into a double monk later on.
  • EG Malvern 82 last in Dark Oak
  • G&G St. James TG73 last in Vintage Cherry
  • John Lobb Hutton in Parisian Museum Brown
  • G&G Cambridge DG70 last in Vintage Rioja

I think I've exhausted myself for the time being (and my bank account), but am on the lookout for a lighter brown shoe (like an EG 888 last in Edwardian Antique or G&G TG73 in Antique Chestnut/Pine), maybe a double monk (e.g., EG Westminster), and probably a black balmoral down the road (not a priority as I don't often need to wear black).

That's quite a month.

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Plus, the fiance has gotten a bit jealous and is wondering when it's "her turn..."

Danger, Will Robinson. Danger.

That slip... perhaps the most valuable thing you acquired.

"Her turn"? Doesn't she have "her money"?

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys, for all the feedback You rock. I wanted to provide an update on the shoe sitch. I've since picked up a few additional pairs. Long story short I kind of got obsessed and blew my budget limits per shoe. I even got more fun socks (kudos to Piper). Without further ado... (will follow-up with some pics when I get home from work) and in chronological progression:

• Santoni captoe with some broguing--blucher--in a merlot (reddish brown). I kind of regret this purchase.
  • C&J Chadwick 2 single monk--in Chestnut (like a merlot). It's a cool shoe and I'm getting more into monks. Might look into a double monk later on.
  • EG Malvern 82 last in Dark Oak
  • G&G St. James TG73 last in Vintage Cherry
  • John Lobb Hutton in Parisian Museum Brown
  • G&G Cambridge DG70 last in Vintage Rioja

Other stuff I've considered but not sure I would pull the trigger on include cordovan as well as loafers. Considering suede as well as chukkas, but not a priority...

thats quite a lot of shoes purchased within a month...

you need more bluchers and more varieties in leather/texture/color.

repp_fink

Reaction score

Long story short I kind of got obsessed and blew my budget limits per shoe...

As my sainted grandmother used to say, "you're never rich enough to buy cheap shoes." That's a fine selection of shoes, any of which will probably outlive the both of us. :)

Of course, your next mission is to look for matching belts. Good luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads