• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has your wardrobe directly affected your pay/title?

thenickelfit

Reaction score
Of course competence is important, but some firms tailor (no pun) their client facing team, usually higher paid, with the well groomed/suited.

Any experience with this?

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being tall, fit, and good looking garners a similar effect. Combine the two and you're on the fast track to CEO buddy!
wink.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Being tall, fit, and good looking garners a similar effect. Combine the two and you're on the fast track to CEO buddy!
wink.gif

Or POTUS. Think about that.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Or POTUS. Think about that.
White House 2032 here I come!
Originally Posted by thenickelfit
I would but: 400K cap. DC fashion. Do not want.
You forget, you are basically a rock star for the rest of your life. Look at Bill, he looks like he's been having a hell of a good time (making a TON of money too) since he left office.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thenickelfit
400K cap? Uhh, no thanks.

You need to think long term. First, Nobel. Second, Clinton and Gore are rolling in it. Sometimes you take a job that sets you up for the next job, which is the real pay day.

thenickelfit

Reaction score
This is true, how myopic of me. Hopefully by then, it'll be a work from home gig to avoid me having to actually be in DC.

Chrenetique

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
not really. but when i dress up nice, i do get alot of compliments, smiles, i react better to people, socialize better with people at work , and i guess indirectly it is a factor in me getting better/moving up in work.

"When" you dress up nice? That is to say, you're dressing intentionally bad the rest of the time? Interesting.

Nice thread. I don't know what to add, for I dress very poorly to "work", wearing moth sweatshirts from the 90's & stinky acrylic scarfs over my hideous beard... Please mock me ; my wardrobe is saturated with groovy bespoke suits from the greatest tailors, but what's not part of my duty is impressing fools. A stranger's laughter will be my only blessing.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chrenetique
"When" you dress up nice? That is to say, you're dressing intentionally bad the rest of the time? Interesting.

Nice thread. I don't know what to add, for I dress very poorly to "work", wearing moth sweatshirts from the 90's & stinky acrylic scarfs over my hideous beard... Please mock me ; my wardrobe is saturated with groovy bespoke suits from the greatest tailors, but what's not part of my duty is impressing fools. A stranger's laughter will be my only blessing.

amusing how you read into what people say and make your own absolutist remarks. no. just what i say. when i dress up nice. other times i just dress up. mediocre, bad, semi nice. whatevers. you remind me of this 12 year old nephew i have. we sit around talking about sports or how some athlete is so good, and then he just starts pouting and whining like a sissy saying" oh yeah i guess im suck at my baseball . i just suck at everything i do , huh?"
needs some manners.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
no, just my sexing abilities
I can usually distinguish between male and female also, but it hasn't helped me much. I hope. ~ H

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, yes...if you are capable, confident +dress above the crowd, you most likely would have a better chance for promotion/regular raises

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has your wardrobe directly affected your pay/title?
Yes. People think I dress too nice and therefore don't need a big bonus.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads