• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hanibal TV show suits

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen this show? I am a big fan of silence of the lambs and to a degree man hunter,red dragon hanibal etc so I was looking forward to this. I have to say I think the cinematography is quite nice and reminiscent of SOTL but I'm very disappointed with Hanibals wardrobe which seems very, very out of place.

It looks expensive but it's very foppish and vulgar IMO. Mad clashing colors and patterns, there's super long trousers and shirt gap (even belts) between vest and trousers that looks slovenly, not at all like the Dr's proper, upright and unerving presence.

In the movie hanibal Sir Anthony wears a great black (or midnight) DB with slant pockets, it's "wrong" strictly but looks just enough flamboyant and sinister. I think it's one of my favorite suits seen onscreen but I can never find any good shots of it.

Opinions? Do you find Hanibal's dress surprisingly....tasteless?

Last edited:

manchambo

Reaction score
I agree that it's vulgar, but not sure I agree that it is out of character. To me his dress is a reflection of his behavior, and especially his eating: a perversion of civility.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree that it's vulgar, but not sure I agree that it is out of character. To me his dress is a reflection of his behavior, and especially his eating: a perversion of civility.

Yes but hasn't it been established that Hanibal Lecter is especially repulsed by vulgarity?

A scoot around the interwebs leads me to believe he's wearing phineas cole, that just seems really bizarre, he just has to wear European tailoring. I'm tending to think Italian actually looking purely at the character from the books but Hopkins just looks like he's screaming to wear a DB Gieves and Hawkes, certainly something slightly military.

manchambo

Reaction score

Yes but hasn't it been established that Hanibal Lecter is especially repulsed by vulgarity?

A scoot around the interwebs leads me to believe he's wearing phineas cole, that just seems really bizarre, he just has to wear European tailoring. I'm tending to think Italian actually looking purely at the character from the books but Hopkins just looks like he's screaming to wear a DB Gieves and Hawkes, certainly something slightly military.

I think he hates what he finds to be vulgar, but he's also a person who makes beautiful, gourmet meals from human flesh. He takes high culture and makes it monstrous. I think his clothes in the show, which are beautifully constructed yet grotesque, are very much like his cooking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads