• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

H&S Fabrics

alebrady

Reaction score
i will be selecting some new suiting fabrics soon and am torn between the H&S Target and Summer Target books.

I am looking for as close as possible to a year-round weight and i think either of these will probably work (Target being warmer in the summer and Summer Target being cooler in the winter).

im very interested in this answer - - would the Summer Target be cool enough in the summer (lets say temperature in the 90's) - or would i really need to go tropical wool and/or unlined to really be comfortable in that type of heat?

also, i am wondering is there really a noticeable difference in fabric weights between these two? Is there any difference in drape (i.e. does the Target drape better and crease less than the Summer Target)?

any thoughts between the two fabrics and the above questions would be greatly appreciated!

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It all depends, I think.
I will say ok for summer target at 80s, 90s may be too hot, especially under the sun. If you are in an A/C office most of the time, it is another story.
My friends told me the fresco will be cooler.
yes, it is easy to notice the weight difference between target and summer target, at lease for me.

Both are good, depends on what you really need for.

alebrady

Reaction score
fishball,

thanks for the comments - you echo some comments that i have heard from others, namely that the summer target fabrics probably isnt going to be that comfortable during the height of summers on the east coast.

based on the fact that id probably have to go with a tropical/fresco/etc for true summer suiting im thinking it might make most sense to go with the target 10/11oz fabric for 'year-round' suit fabrics (it doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me to go with the 9oz summer target book but then also have lighter weight, true summer fabrics) - any additional thoughts on this logic??

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you have some true summer weights in the wardrobe, you can comfortably get a bunch of 10/11oz for the rest of the year. For real winter, of course, 13-16oz can't be beat, but you won't look like a dork if you start out with 10-11.

alebrady

Reaction score
concordia (or others),

thanks - given east coast travel year round which would you think is the better option to pursue?

1) 10/11oz for year round along with true summer weight fabrics

2) 9oz year round along with true winter weight fabrics

i guess what im trying to rationalize is which is more uncomfortable (or less practical) - 10/11 oz in warmer temperatures or 9 oz in cooler temeratures. obviously its not ideal in either case just trying to figure out, on the margin, which is going to be more uncomortable than the other so i can figure out where to start and then work up to ideal coverage.

thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads