• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

H&M x Margiela Collaboration

Scooba

Reaction score
Is there already a discussion on this somewhere? I was expecting there to already be a 20 page thread going on about this but don't see anything.

"It’s official! Maison Martin Margiela is teaming up with H&M on a collection due out in the fall.

Maison Martin Margiela was founded by Martin Margiela, 55, the reclusive Belgian designer known for his avant garde work. Though Margiela retired in 2009, an in-house team at the fashion house continues to churn out crazy designs like cleft-toe shoes, plastic fur coats, and all sorts of deconstructed pieces.

While wild celebs like Lady Gaga adore the brand, Michelle Obama has also been seen sporting Margiela. Kanye West even referenced the house in a song on his "Watch the Throne" album with Jay-Z.

H&M confirmed to WWD that the collaboration will hit stores Nov. 15. The fast fashion retailer’s creative advisor, Margareta van den Bosch, gave this quote: “This collaboration will be a great and memorable fashion moment.”

Margiela issued a statement that was a bit more descriptive:

“The democracy of our fashion has always been at the center of our creativity, and the collaboration with H&M allows us to push this instinct further. We will bring together the contrasting universes of the two houses in ways that will surprise all.”

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was talked about in the Random Fashion Thoughts thread a little bit. Most people didn't like the idea.

trum01

Reaction score
Margiela is still more of an insider brand so its a weird collaboration from H&M's point of view ... they normally go for more popular names and and then come out with over the top collections.

For Margiela ... it may be a way of introducing the brand to a wider audience.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Margiela is still more of an insider brand so its a weird collaboration from H&M's point of view ... they normally go for more popular names and and then come out with over the top collections. 

MMM is owned by PPR / Gucci Group or what they are called, so I think they are go the sell out making a quick buck route.

Edit: It's Diesel, but same same.

Last edited:

MaBal

Reaction score

MMM is extremely well known and loved all over the world. I am sure this collab is not to "introduce" the brand. If you think about it, the H/M and Margiela clients are polar opposite. One is founded to dress the masses in a somewhat hip method for not a lot of money while the other is trendy yet still appeals to lots of people of various backgrounds due to their use of high-quality materials and tailoring. These types of collabs bring real style to mallish stores using mass materials. I suspect the reason Margiela is doing the collab is to give the H/M younger buyer a well designed and tailored garment for not a lot of money. Or, maybe they plan to introduce a MM6-ish line that will be priced lower then the Margiela line and this is a way to get the H/M younger customer on board.

Whatever the reason, I don't agree with these types of collabs simply because it has a sense of cheapening the brand. But at the same time the typical Margiela consumer understands the mainline stuff is going to be designed and will use much better materials etc.

Last edited:

MaBal

Reaction score
MMM is owned by PPR / Gucci Group or what they are called, so I think they are go the sell out making a quick buck route.
Edit: It's Diesel, but same same.

I think MMM is owned by Diesel but PPR (Gucci) does not own Diesel.

PPR, at least to my knowledge, is: Gucci, Bottega, YSL, McQueen, Balenciaga, SM, and a couple others.

Last edited:

forever28

Reaction score
Can't wait to see what's coming. I have bought some of my favorite clothes from h&m collaborations. Especially liked Lanvin merino cardigans and Marni trousers.

transient

Reaction score
I'm kinda looking forward to see the collection. But without a doubt this is a ploy by MMM to expose the brand to the young/fashionable demographic so they will spend the $$$ tomorrow for the real thing. I'm almost hoping that there won't be anything in the collab that I'll want to kop. However, an MMM designed blazer in $100-$200 might be nice. Too bad you'll probably need to wait in line for 12 hours for a chance to get a piece before the eBayers do.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm kinda looking forward to see the collection. But without a doubt this is a ploy by MMM to expose the brand to the young/fashionable demographic so they will spend the $$$ tomorrow for the real thing. I'm almost hoping that there won't be anything in the collab that I'll want to kop. However, an MMM designed blazer in $100-$200 might be nice. Too bad you'll probably need to wait in line for 12 hours for a chance to get a piece before the eBayers do.

2 years ago I was buying MMM jackets at century 21 for like $110 and shirts and trousers for $30-50ish. Couldn't even sell them on here or sufu at cost. Don't know when the brand got so popular on the internet.

forever28

Reaction score
2 years ago I was buying MMM jackets at century 21 for like $110 and shirts and trousers for $30-50ish. Couldn't even sell them on here or sufu at cost. Don't know when the brand got so popular on the internet.

Mostly because of celebrities and GATs. The brand itself is more popular than it should be. 10 trousers were awful super thin cotton and 22 oxford shoes felt cheap like glued together.

Last edited:

transient

Reaction score

You can buy all kind of labels at outlets. Usually the deadstock no one wants to touch with a ten-foot-pole. Not really sure whats your point.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Mostly because of RegisDB9. The brand itself is more popular than it should be. 10 trousers were awful super thin cotton and 22 oxford shoes felt cheap like glued together.  

ftfy

Sean9

Reaction score
I didn't go to Versace, Lanvin or Marni but I went to check out cdg. It was actually really hardcore like a mix of supermarket sweep and a prison riot.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads