• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great shoes below 250 pounds? [Europe vendors]

Simone1

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a friend who's currently trying to develop a new wardrobe, now that he is finally done with his degree. Everything is set for him in terms of clothing, but we do need some new shoes.

Personally I have suggested to purchase a pair of oxfords, brogues, monk-straps, loafers and white sneakers (its a creative office).

To get the highest value for money, I've been trying to look for good options in Europe, but found it difficult due to only having experience with higher end brands - I was wondering if any of you had some advice?
The budget is 150-250 pounds price range.

My best,
Simone

Belfaborac

Reaction score
Sanders, Barker and Loake should all fit the bill perfectly.

Ex. VAT the Diplomat line by Sanders generally comes in at or below the £250 line and they really are "great shoes". I own three pairs myself and like them a lot. I've no experience with the other lines, but I've no doubt that the Ambassadors are also excellent quality.

Barker's Handcrafted line has a number of shoes currently priced at £250 (again ex. VAT). They're generally not to my taste, but my single pair of Barker Handcrafted (in an earlier, discontinued style) is very well made and again excellent quality. Again I've no experience with the other lines, though I'm told that the Creative line is roughly comparable to Loake 1880.

Loake's 1880 line shoes are also very well made and excellent value for money (<£190). The leather is slightly inferior and stiffer, but the only practical implication of this is that they take a bit longer to break in. As far as durability or long term comfort goes you won't notice a difference. I don't own any Loake shoes at this time, but through the years I've owned a fair number, all 1880s.

Either brand or line will serve your friend very well in my opinion. Prices are all sourced from Pediwear, which is my purveyor of choice.

NJE66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a friend who's currently trying to develop a new wardrobe, now that he is finally done with his degree. Everything is set for him in terms of clothing, but we do need some new shoes.

Personally I have suggested to purchase a pair of oxfords, brogues, monk-straps, loafers and white sneakers (its a creative office).

To get the highest value for money, I've been trying to look for good options in Europe, but found it difficult due to only having experience with higher end brands - I was wondering if any of you had some advice?
The budget is 150-250 pounds price range.

My best,
Simone

Carlos Santos is slightly above budget, maybe 270 £ via Skoaktiebolaget, but IMO best choice in given price range. Great value overall and well worth stretching the budget. Meermin Linea Maestro (no personal references) Markowskis line Prince Jorge. Orbans (http://shoegazing.se/english/2017/02/19/review-orbans-oxford-soho-dark-brown/, initiated review) . Shoepassion (don't get much attention, but still decent alternative and within budget). Maybe try Velasca for loafers. For Loake I have only experience Export Grade, but they are 320 sterling. I would not go for the L1 line etc.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads