• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grad School Attire

malat

Reaction score
I don't think it matters at all. In my (pretty good) law school, folks dressed in whatever. Winter - jeans and sweaters, spring - shorts and t shirts.

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
Wear a shirt with buttons on it, shoes made of leather, and pants that aren't jeans and you will be better dressed than 98% of grad school including me when I was doing my masters.

bslo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Texastyle
Thank you! I just bid on a great looking sport coat so that advice sounds great.

I'd be surprised if any of the other students wore sport coats. You'll have to decide whether that matters to you. It probably should.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
It makes little difference and changing status grad versus undergrad does not imply any reason why your outlook on clothes should change. Enjoy being young while you can.

That^^

hookem12387

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt tamu is any dressier than Texas, if I'm right just wear what you wore in undergrad. I tend to look 'dressed up' at UT law in chinos and an OCBD. Though obviously there's always an odd suit here or there for interviews. Good luck in sheep land
wink.gif

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that's true for undergrad but I'm hoping its a little dressier for grad school. It's for public administration if that helps.

Like my old drill sergeant used to say: I want you to hope in your left hand and **** in your right hand, and tell me which one fills up first.

Originally Posted by JayJay
It's not. If anything, it's worse.

Because people are poorer. Daddy's not so quick to pay for post-grad education.

barzen

Reaction score
I know that's true for undergrad but I'm hoping its a little dressier for grad school. It's for public administration if that helps.
How about an OCBD, chinos, and some more casual leather dress shoes? You'll look put together, but you won't stick out as much.

feastmaster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
That^^

I agree. Wear what's comfortable to you every day.

I'm in grad school now, and 99% of the men wear whatever. In my experience, the women are usually dressed better than the men. Don't be afraid to mix it up, wear a smart outfit one day and then shorts and a t the next day. Something to look out for, which may be foolish, is to feel out the mood of the class. Always look professional for an in-class presentation.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by facet
That sounds hot.

Think more like "lots of little stupid bunny logos" and less "hot girl not wearing much."

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based in the lives of most grad students, a prison uniform would be most appropriate.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by barzen
How about an OCBD, chinos, and some more casual leather dress shoes? You'll look put together, but you won't stick out as much.
And if you teach, wear a jacket on those days. This helps your students take you a bit more seriously, particularly the non-major seniors in your class who are older than you.
Originally Posted by yachtie
Based in the lives of most grad students, a prison uniform would be most appropriate.
No, that's for your postdoc.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gibonius
Think more like "lots of little stupid bunny logos" and less "hot girl not wearing much."

Bet she's Chinese.

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. One other quick question.... I know most of you said that a sportcoat wasn't needed, but I was hoping to pick one up anyway. I really like this herringbone jacket from J Crew but I'm not sure if the fabric is a bit old manish. I can pick it up for 150 so I was wondering if that sounds like a good deal. http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Navigation/...bone/33995.jsp Thanks again for all your help!

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. One other quick question.... I know most of you said that a sportcoat wasn't needed, but I was hoping to pick one up anyway. I really like this herringbone jacket from J Crew but I'm not sure if the fabric is a bit old manish. I can pick it up for 150 so I was wondering if that sounds like a good deal.
http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Navigation/...bone/33995.jsp

Thanks again for all your help!

Isn't this jacket way too short for the guy in the pic? Anyway, just piling on with everyone else...I just got out of grad school. No one would ever bat an eye if you never wore anything but jeans and tshirt your whole time there. People often dress up a little bit for presentations - like slacks and a buttondown, not a suit or anything. I started wearing a blazer to class when I started teaching just to give me some air of authority and separation from the students, but I don't think anyone else did. At most campuses professors dress very casual as well. Unless you're defending your dissertation, doing a job interview, or graduating, you shouldn't really ever wear a tie.

(caveat that this was a phd program...might be different for law, business, or other professional schools)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads