• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gothic lifestyle...tell me about it

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
How old is that girl doing the "eating out" gesture? Seriously, she looks like 12.

I believe she's merely flashing the "peace" sign...

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
We should expand that rule's jurisdiction.

This makes perfect sense: "The abuses many of these pretty Goth girls suffered during their formative years resulted not only in severe feelings of anger, betrayal, disgust, fear, sadness, loneliness, shame, guilt and remorse which drove them to the Goth lifestyle in the first place, but also resulted in a general lack of self-esteem or hope for the future that can stay with them indefinitely and usually manifests itself in various self-destructive behaviors throughout their teenage years and well into their twenties."

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
This makes perfect sense: "The abuses many of these pretty Goth girls suffered during their formative years resulted not only in severe feelings of anger, betrayal, disgust, fear, sadness, loneliness, shame, guilt and remorse which drove them to the Goth lifestyle in the first place, but also resulted in a general lack of self-esteem or hope for the future that can stay with them indefinitely and usually manifests itself in various self-destructive behaviors throughout their teenage years and well into their twenties."

Yeah, I'll agree, as weird as it is that you've thought about it that much, the statement does make perfect sense.
laugh.gif

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
According to Dr. Drew on "Lifeline" (which I listen to religiously) a lot of those girls suffered some sort of childhood trauma.

I hope you mean Loveline. If they changed the name after already loosing their funny, I'll have to make it a point to listen to even less radio, just to show my disgust.

Really went downhill the day adam left.

TheRealAshland

Reaction score
i think the goth or emo like avril lavigne or ashlee simpson is sorta cute. i guess cause its mildly disturbing

Minkous

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
first thing, as with all subcultures like this, is to get into the MUSIC and not just be a poser that looks "goth"

check out:
-Christian Death (with either Rozz or Valor on vox, I prefer Rozz)
-Dead Can Dance
-Bauhaus (duh)
-Death in June
-Einstuerzende Neubauten
-London after Midnite
-45 Grave
-Sisters of Mercy-Fields of the Nephilim
-even mainsteam stuff like Siouxie, The Cure

If you don't like the music, don't bother turning goth

If you were in LA, the place to go is Bar Sinister on sat nite...they have a dress code of all black, and it's def "goth nite" even tho it's not billed as such. LOTS of hot goth-y chicks there.

Did you see Klynt and Vixen on The Amazing Race? The goth couple from Kentucky....they kicked ass, got to the final 4 I think before eliminated. They seemed like a fun couple, and cool people.

I've known a lot of goth kids over the years....most of em are smart as hell. And a hot goth chick is SERIOUSLY hot.

Exactly my thoughts! Check out the box set A LIFE LESS LIVED, its phenominal. Esp the band SOUTHERN DEATH CULT one of my favorite bands

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Was Blixa part of Einstürzende Neubauten?

Founding member and only vocalist of the group. I haven't followed them much recently, but they are trying an interesting direct sales approach to their fans. The recording sessions are streamed to fans who can provide feedback.

Nick Cave's original band The Birthday Party had some very gothic songs.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Or maybe they just like to wear black, listen to Skinny Puppy, and are completely normal?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by underwearer
Or maybe they just like to wear black, listen to Skinny Puppy, and are completely normal?

seriously, where's everyone coming up with this "goth girls were abused" nonsense?

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Minkous
could just be me but i think alot of people have a jaded view on gothic subculture and what it is. but could be wrong i guess
confused.gif

Ya to me its just another sub-culture...Punks, Mods, Goths, Hippies, Dweebies, Preppies, AmJacks...

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
seriously, where's everyone coming up with this "goth girls were abused" nonsense?

I thought if they weren't abused, they were posers. I'll be in LA soon, should have an SF meetup in a goth club. We'll name the meet "Sartorial Betrayal!"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads