• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to New York - shopping/restaurant recommendations?

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not eat breakfast somewhere other than the hotel? At least once.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I used to live in dreaded Murray Hill and I thought that Park Bistro across the street was better than Les Halles. This was many years ago, however.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by origenesprit

+1. Especially if it is not a free breakfast complimentary with your hotel stay. If it is, at least one breakfast at a local cafe would be a better experience.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by origenesprit

Originally Posted by teddieriley
+1. Especially if it is not a free breakfast complimentary with your hotel stay. If it is, at least one breakfast at a local cafe would be a better experience.

Noted. The breakfast is free, which is a nice draw. We will go for breakfast once outside.

Originally Posted by Manton
I used to live in dreaded Murray Hill and I thought that Park Bistro across the street was better than Les Halles. This was many years ago, however.

If you mean the Park Avenue Bistro, the hotel where we are staying (Hotel Giraffe) is partnered with Park Avenue Bistro. Perhaps we'll do lunch there on our last day in NYC.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
while I love NYC I'm too poor to afford NYC
plain.gif

PS: I always enjoy the Sabrett hot dog stands on the streets and the cheap but oh-so-sweet coffee from the street venders.

I once watched a mounted patrol cop ride his horse over to a HD cart and order dog. The vendor slathered on a little mustard and handed it up to the cop. As he took the hotdog his horse 'dropped' his not inconsiderable shvanz and let loose w/ a true racehorse stream which hit the pavement next to the cart w/ a gigantic splash, sending p!ss spattering everywhere, including a nice sprinkling for the top of the cart - the whole time the vendor & cop were chatting away. The cop finished his dog and rode away and the vendor went about his business as if nothing had happened. Gives a whole 'nother meaning to the term 'dirty water dog'....

falsestart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
To ressurrect the thread a bit, I've put together a tentative schedule for the first 3 days. Any comments/thoughts are welcomed.

Day 1 (Wednesday)
Arrive at hotel at 9am - breakfast at Hotel
Empire State Building/Top of the Rock
Grand Central Station
Lunch at Jean Georges
Times Square
Dinner at Hagi Sake Bar

Day 2 (Thursday)
Breakfast at hotel
The Metropolitan Museum
Lunch somewhere in/near Central Park
Central Park strolling/exploring
Dinner at Il Gattopardo
Lion King Show (Broadway)

Day 3 (Friday)
Breakfast at hotel
Union Square
Washington Square
Lunch at Katz's Deli or Bleecker St Pizza.
Ground Zero/PATH station
Battery Park/Staten Island Ferry/Statue of Liberty
Dinner at Babbo (if I can get a reservation) or Eleven Madison

Day 4
??????

Day 5
Flight at 6pm, not sure what to do before then

I would pass on bleeker street pizza and definately go to Katz's - it's real old school and you'll have a unique experience there

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by falsestart
I would pass on bleeker street pizza and definately go to Katz's - it's real old school and you'll have a unique experience there

Tourist trap
devil.gif

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by falsestart

Originally Posted by mafoofan
Tourist trap
devil.gif

decisions.gif

I'm leaning towards Katz's, but I'm having trouble fitting in pizza elsewhere. Maybe on Day 4 or 5. Any ideas for Day 4?

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a reason to go to Katz's vs 2nd Avenue Deli?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
decisions.gif

I'm leaning towards Katz's, but I'm having trouble fitting in pizza elsewhere. Maybe on Day 4 or 5. Any ideas for Day 4?

I'm just kidding. I've never been to Katz's. But it's as much a tourist trap as Zabar's, seeing as how it's an institution that draws outsiders.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
I'm just kidding. I've never been to Katz's. But it's as much a tourist trap as Zabar's, seeing as how it's an institution that draws outsiders.

I guess. Is there a better hot pastrami in NY?

What do you think of the days I've put together? Do they make sense time wise? Am I being overzealous with the amount of things we're doing?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I guess. Is there a better hot pastrami in NY?

No idea whatsoever.

What do you think of the days I've put together? Do they make sense time wise? Am I being overzealous with the amount of things we're doing?

They look fine to me, but I think you'd have a better time if you hone in on particular things to do at the general places you've listed. Central Park is gigantic, for example. It is easy to get lost in it, wander out, and somehow evade the more interesting and scenic parts. You will be coming from Midtown, so decide if you want to head up to the east or up to the west. I would do both and make a loop (Fifth Avenue/the Plaza to Columbus Circle, or vice versa).

Do you really want to eat at two Italian places for dinner? You're getting pizza, too. If you want to do Babbo, but can't get in, try Lupa. It is often booked very early, too, but it's at least another Battali option. Don't miss Il Gattopardo and Hagi, though!

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To get a reservation on a weekend for Babbo, you have to call at 10:00 AM EST exactly 30 days in advance. I think it's well worth it. There are 2 tables for 2 in the bar areawhich they leave open for walk-ins. If you show up at 5:30 PM, you can usually nail one of them.
Katz's is great. In addition to the pastrami, they have amazing matzoh ball soup with the lightest matzoh balls in creation.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
No idea whatsoever.

They look fine to me, but I think you'd have a better time if you hone in on particular things to do at the general places you've listed. Central Park is gigantic, for example. It is easy to get lost in it, wander out, and somehow evade the more interesting and scenic parts. You will be coming from Midtown, so decide if you want to head up to the east or up to the west. I would do both and make a loop (Fifth Avenue/the Plaza to Columbus Circle, or vice versa).

Do you really want to eat at two Italian places for dinner? You're getting pizza, too. If you want to do Babbo, but can't get in, try Lupa. It is often booked very early, too, but it's at least another Battali option. Don't miss Il Gattopardo and Hagi, though!

Well, we were thinking of going to the Met, and entering the park on that side (UES I believe) afterwards and kind of heading South. We do want to do a carriage ride... where is that? Should I aim for certain parts of the park? Can you draw me a simple map? New York is huge.
confused.gif

As for two Italian places... you may be right, but so many Italian places were recommended here that I'm sort of lost a bit. Perhaps I can substitute Keens Steakhouse for Babbo... or something French. Need more non-Italian recommendations...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads