• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to New York - shopping/restaurant recommendations?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
To get a reservation on a weekend for Babbo, you have to call at 10:00 AM EST exactly 30 days in advance. I think it's well worth it. There are 2 tables for 2 in the bar areawhich they leave open for walk-ins. If you show up at 5:30 PM, you can usually nail one of them.
Katz's is great. In addition to the pastrami, they have amazing matzoh ball soup with the lightest matzoh balls in creation.

I've called Babbo a couple of times today and once it was busy, I called back, it rang for a while and then nothing. Then I called a little while later and it was just ringing forever.

mintyfresh

Reaction score
Babbo reservations are extremely hard to come by. As Moo said, Lupa is a good option.

Both Katz and Bleecker st pizza (remember, the NONA slice) are absolutely delicious. You can't go wrong with either regardless if they are a tourist trap.

With your schedule, you'll be closer to Bleecker st pizza than you will be to Katz. Pizza is a 10 minute walk. Katz is a 20 minute walk.

You should schedule in some time to walk through SoHo. You can grab lunch at Balthazzar's and then hit up rice-to-riches for some dessert.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carriage rides can be found on Central Park South (which is 59th St). If you want a more economical version, there are the bike taxi things, which are near the statues at Columbus Circle.

cwh812

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
I had a spectacular meal at Eleven Madison. It was $125 a person w/o wine, worth every penny. Very under the radar compared to the big boys, but I don't think it'll be this way for long. The setting is very romantic too, massive cathedral ceilings to the side of Madison Park. The usual suspects like Daniel, Le Bernardin, Chanterelle, Per Se, and Jean Georges are also safe bets, but they can be very hard to book.

Sorry if this has been already mentioned, but 11 Madison Park just got a write up in the NY Times and got their top food rating with the big boys. Best ambiance I've seen in a NYC restaurant. The space (especially the ceiling) is amazing.

mintyfresh

Reaction score
You'll also get a great dinner experience at MAS in the west village.

Most of my recs are in the W.Village b/c that's where I reside.

Another dessert place to check out - MoMoFuku Milk Bar.

cwh812

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mintyfresh
Babbo reservations are extremely hard to come by. As Moo said, Lupa is a good option.

Both Katz and Bleecker st pizza (remember, the NONA slice) are absolutely delicious. You can't go wrong with either regardless if they are a tourist trap.

With your schedule, you'll be closer to Bleecker st pizza than you will be to Katz. Pizza is a 10 minute walk. Katz is a 20 minute walk.

You should schedule in some time to walk through SoHo. You can grab lunch at Balthazzar's and then hit up rice-to-riches for some dessert.

Sorry, have to disagree re: Lupa. My experience there was not even close to what I've had at Babbo. Keep trying for Babbo - also I seem to recall that they only take reservations one month out.

Also, you might want to try switching the day you go to Jean Georges for lunch - it is right at the park, so you might consider that your lunch near central park. For steak, can't go wrong with Keen's. Also consider Del Frisco's, Wolgang's or Peter Luger's - reservations shouldn't be too tough at these places.

If you are in the mood for pizza and want to check out Brooklyn, maybe try Lucali's? GQ (i know, not the most reputable source) just named it the second best pizza in the country - cool Brooklyn neighborhood too.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
I've called Babbo a couple of times today and once it was busy, I called back, it rang for a while and then nothing. Then I called a little while later and it was just ringing forever.

They won't take a reservation until 30 days before the date. They start taking reservations at 10:00 AM and by 10:30 AM the tables are gone. They probably stop answering the phone then. Just start at 10:00 AM (7:00 AM PST) and keep calling till you get through. I've been 3 times and was always able to get a table doing what I listed.

Sanddog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by origenesprit
Is there a reason to go to Katz's vs 2nd Avenue Deli?

Because 2nd Avenue Deli doesn't exist anymore.
frown.gif
That remake up in midtown doesn't count.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stop over thinking this trip. Your general descriptions of what you want to do are fine. Now just go out there and explore. Taking 21 pages of people's restaurant suggestions will ultimately confuse you. Some people will like one italian place, some will like the others.

The fun is exploring without so much guidance. If you thought a few places sucked, you can try out the others on your next trip. And I'm certain there will be a next trip.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanddog
Because 2nd Avenue Deli doesn't exist anymore.
frown.gif
That remake up in midtown doesn't count.

Is the new one that different? I've been to the old one, never been to Katz's.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Stop over thinking this trip. Your general descriptions of what you want to do are fine. Now just go out there and explore. Taking 21 pages of people's restaurant suggestions will ultimately confuse you. Some people will like one italian place, some will like the others.

The fun is exploring without so much guidance. If you thought a few places sucked, you can try out the others on your next trip. And I'm certain there will be a next trip.

You're absolutely right... I just get nuts with trying to do the best thing of 10. We want to enjoy this trip to the fullest!

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
You're absolutely right... I just get nuts with trying to do the best thing of 10. We want to enjoy this trip to the fullest!

You'll probably quickly learn that restaurant recommendations from ANY social networking site are just a start. There is no "best thing" when it comes to matters of personal taste, be that restaurants, or museums, or Broadway shows, etc.

You have a very limited time in a HUGE city full of wonderful restaurants, museums and entertainment. There is no "right" or "wrong" to whatever you do, and you cannot possibly determine which Italian restaurant YOU will like best from what others here write.

If you enjoy the city, go back again!

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need more bagels in the morning. This is NY. Think of them as a breakfast aperitif.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saturday might be the fun day to escape the throngs of tourists and take the Metro North to Beacon to see the Dia Museum, enjoying peak foliage on the way.

Don't even bother leaving The Met for lunch...you already don't have enough time there. And they have excellent food choices.

Also, skip breakfast at your hotel on Friday-free or not-and enjoy a graze through the Union Square Greenmarket instead-and don't forget to stop at The Strand.

Cuff Link

Reaction score
My wife and I returned from four days in NYC yesterday--our first visit.

Here are some thoughts--

1)negotiate everything even the bicycle guys
2) don't buy from the tour guys or sales people outside the various locations--go to the ticket window inside otherwise you will find you overpaid. Example the Empire State building.
3) Visit the Empire State building at night. The view is great then. Don't pay $15 extra to go to the 102 floor. The view at 86 does everything.
4) To go inside the Statue of Liberty rather than just walk around the island you need to show up very early in the morning for admission anytime that day.
5) One if By Land in Greenwich Village is a nice romantic restaurant in a fun location.
6) Forget the tour buses. Take the subway everywhere. Buy the $20 unlimited ride Metro Pass.
7) Visit the high end stores on 5th Ave. Bergdorf Goodman's Men's store is great.
8) TKTS in Times Square sells discount tickets starting about 3:00 to all except the most in demand shows. For those use Stub Hub not the hotel concierge.
9) MOMA is basically in Times Square. You can do it in an hour or spend days there. Don't miss it.

If you want more detail or ideas PM me.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member