• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting rid of a belly

JASSAJ

Reaction score
Don't eat bread, skip desserts, pass on the pasta and rice.

Life is too short.... I love carbs and I eat them all day and I am about 10% BF. It's all about calories in, calories out.

If you can cut these carbs and live life, more power to ya. Not a chance that I could sustain this lifestyle...

ultravisitor

Reaction score
Life is too short.... I love carbs and I eat them all day and I am about 10% BF. It's all about calories in, calories out.
Hell yes. It really is all about calories in and calories out. I started Noom at the beginning of 2020 and ended up losing 100 pounds and went from 42% body fat to 17% body fat. It really helped me understand the calories in-calories out business. It also trained me to focus on what kinds of calories I was consuming, which I think was really important.

JASSAJ

Reaction score
Hell yes. It really is all about calories in and calories out. I started Noom at the beginning of 2020 and ended up losing 100 pounds and went from 42% body fat to 17% body fat. It really helped me understand the calories in-calories out business. It also trained me to focus on what kinds of calories I was consuming, which I think was really important.
Holy Sh. CONGRATULATIONS. That is seriously impressive on a variety of levels. Nice work!

ultravisitor

Reaction score
Holy Sh. CONGRATULATIONS. That is seriously impressive on a variety of levels. Nice work!
Thanks. When we first went into lockdown in March of 2020, I had lost about 30-35 pounds, and at that point, my skin started getting a little loose. I figured that since I do not have as much money as Adele, surgery to fix that was not really an option, so I just started bodyweight exercises. I literally started with just doing 10 push ups three times a week as my goal. I figured it'd be a project for lockdown and easy to do since I had the time. I very slowly added other exercises to my routine, and it's crazy how quickly it added up. There are really no words for how proud I am of what I did.

Noom was crazy as hell. The first two weeks were free, so I decided to take it seriously and lost 15 pounds. After that, I decided I had so much momentum that I had to keep on taking it seriously to see how far I could go. I had NO idea.

Here's a comparison:

Attachments

• 0910B947-F4E9-4EEC-905F-551C9833E218.jpg
    0910B947-F4E9-4EEC-905F-551C9833E218.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 545

Robboto

Reaction score
Thanks. When we first went into lockdown in March of 2020, I had lost about 30-35 pounds, and at that point, my skin started getting a little loose. I figured that since I do not have as much money as Adele, surgery to fix that was not really an option, so I just started bodyweight exercises. I literally started with just doing 10 push ups three times a week as my goal. I figured it'd be a project for lockdown and easy to do since I had the time. I very slowly added other exercises to my routine, and it's crazy how quickly it added up. There are really no words for how proud I am of what I did.

Noom was crazy as hell. The first two weeks were free, so I decided to take it seriously and lost 15 pounds. After that, I decided I had so much momentum that I had to keep on taking it seriously to see how far I could go. I had NO idea.

Here's a comparison:
Impressive progress! Keep it up man!

KOz

Reaction score
As the folks have already said - calories in, calories out.

There are no magic solutions. No exercise can spot reduce fat either.

Surgery is usually a bad choice in all but the most extreme cases. Improve your relationship with food and do not hop from one fad diet to another.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This has been the "official" advice since 1977. I wonder what else has happened since then?

View attachment 1093344

The wholesale swapping out cane/beet sugar for high fructose corn syrup in processed American foods matches the trend perfectly. Also, the rise in type 2 diabetes matches up with the above two trends.

WestLinn

Reaction score
I dropped 35 pounds about 4 years ago and have kept it off. I don't weigh what I weighed in HS, but that was many many years ago and probably an unattainable and unrealistic goal. However I do weigh what I did in my mid 30s. The most significant change I made was to stop drinking. The health benefits are significant but minor compared to the other benefits. I've had a lot of people comment to how much healthier I look. All my suits and nice clothes fit again and I tossed a bunch of clothes that were too big. I also adopted a four legged friend from the SPCA who now insists on 3-5 miles a day of walking. 82 lbs of purebred mutt that is nothing but muscle and could easily do 15 miles of walking without flinching and who thinks that when I get out of bed, it's an invitation for him to lay in my spot, head on the pillow.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From Summer 2019 to Fall 2020, I went through a triple-whammy of a bone marrow contusion in my knee to the gyms being shut down during the pandemic to my gout getting chronic. I essentially didn't exercise for slightly over a year and ballooned up from my normal 190 (I'm 6'1" and graduated high school at 175) that I've carried since my late 20s up to 220 with close to 30% body fat.

One of the greatest things I stumbled upon to amp up the calories out side of the equation at home are weighted jump ropes. I started using both a half pound rope and a two pound rope doing intervals of jumping and body weight exercises. These things are for real and really manage to combine a great cardio workout with building muscle tone at the same time. Highly recommend.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Decreasing meals per day from 3 down to 2 will help. Also, up the amount of meat and vegetables you use. A nice chicken cooked with some leafy vegetables will be very filling. I also recommend living in an area that is walkable. Reduced number of highly nutritious meals and walking alot will result in weight loss for the average person. For well trained people, it gets a little more complicated due to recovery and energy needs for high performance.

ultravisitor

Reaction score
Decreasing meals per day from 3 down to 2 will help. Also, up the amount of meat and vegetables you use. A nice chicken cooked with some leafy vegetables will be very filling. I also recommend living in an area that is walkable. Reduced number of highly nutritious meals and walking alot will result in weight loss for the average person. For well trained people, it gets a little more complicated due to recovery and energy needs for high performance.
I'm not sure if decreasing the number of meals someone eats will help unless the number of calories consumed over the course of the day is also decreased.

Personally, after losing 100 pounds and keeping it off for three years, I find it much easier to both lose and maintain by eating a bunch of smaller meals rather than reducing the overall number of meals I'm eating.

unclemilty

Reaction score
The summer that I lost 40 pounds it was the same story -- eating less (a lot less) and exercising more (a lot more). It's been 15 years, and hasn't returned at all.

I don't know about the number of meals, but definitely reducing meal size was crucial. Eating healthy foods prepared at home was crucial for me. I almost completely eliminated drinking and eating out for about 3 months. Of course, this isn't sustainable. If you pretend it is then you won't be able to stick with the plan.

Most importantly, for me at least, was that I had to change everything in my life, at least temporarily. I found I couldn't just, say, cut out sugary drinks, or eat fewer sweets, or try to exercise an extra day per week. It had to be everything, total commitment. As they say in Breaking Bad, no half measures! Otherwise, as you change one area, other areas of life compensate in imperceptible ways.

I won't say that after the weight was gone I could go back to life as normal -- I still eat in most meals and healthier type foods. And exercise is pretty high up the priority list (Finding a sport that I loved helped). But the thing is, I don't really miss the heavy meals out, and I enjoy them more when I go.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads