• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Get your game on... the grill

GrillinFool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Well, OK. Two reasons, I guess. First of all, I don't prefer to eat in a way that the meat is the "centerpiece." I really love excellent, well prepared vegetables of all sorts, like sauces, especially natural roasting juices, etc. I think I enjoy meat as a compliment to these things, or at least as a part of a whole more than I do a piece of meat plus some thoughtless vegetable or mashed food plus a canned, or badly concocted sauce. Also, and this is kind of dorky, but I feel like the deer died so that we could eat, and we should be as respectful as possible of that, so if it takes me a few seconds or an hour to do something right by it, I think the deer deserves that. I'm not going to convince myself this is normal, or the only way, or that everybody will want to do the same, but I am also not interested in complimenting the idea that if you have a nice hunk of meat, it is somehow respectful of you or the food to lace it with bitter bottled garlic, tasteless dried herbs and a sauce with all sorts of unfortunate things in it.

One would think that deer in photos was inedible and maybe even poisonous. Did you spit it back out when you took a bite? Did you risk swallowing it? Oh, wait...

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, OK. Two reasons, I guess. First of all, I don't prefer to eat in a way that the meat is the "centerpiece." I really love excellent, well prepared vegetables of all sorts, like sauces, especially natural roasting juices, etc. I think I enjoy meat as a compliment to these things, or at least as a part of a whole more than I do a piece of meat plus some thoughtless vegetable or mashed food plus a canned, or badly concocted sauce. Also, and this is kind of dorky, but I feel like the deer died so that we could eat, and we should be as respectful as possible of that, so if it takes me a few seconds or an hour to do something right by it, I think the deer deserves that. I'm not going to convince myself this is normal, or the only way, or that everybody will want to do the same, but I am also not interested in complimenting the idea that if you have a nice hunk of meat, it is somehow respectful of you or the food to lace it with bitter bottled garlic, tasteless dried herbs and a sauce with all sorts of unfortunate things in it.

I am very glad I insisted upon your reasoning. That is a philosophy I proudly share, and wish more would embrace.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That's a fair and thoughtful way of looking at it. I don't really disagree with anything you said, but for the purposes of this thread I saw it from the 'meat-first' viewpoint, which isn't a hard trap to fall into since GF shows us one item grilled when he posts. Had GF posted a full meal, that might change matters. I do think that sides tend to get short-shrift when meat is on the grill, which is unfortunate but typical. But sometimes expediency is what it is and we take shortcuts that aren't optimal but will suffice.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I've never thought this before, but honest question: should I start a little blog on my endeavors?

If it meant you'd spend more time there and less time here, then absolutely.

(we keed because we love)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
If it meant you'd spend more time there and less time here, then absolutely.

(we keed because we love)

inlove.gif

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
damn. looks incredible!

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GrillinFool
One would think that deer in photos was inedible and maybe even poisonous. Did you spit it back out when you took a bite? Did you risk swallowing it? Oh, wait...
OK, dude. Whatever.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
this threak is great. it's like a microcosm of SF.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Matt's response was pretty cogent and polite.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Matt's response was pretty cogent and polite.

dunno if this was posted in response to me, but if it was, your point only underlines my hypothesis.

smile.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I was talking this post. It was a really good post.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
I was talking this post. It was a really good post.
+1, totally share the sentiment, even though i get a little embarrassed when colicchio goes on and on about it. what's odd about GF is that posters here make suggestions as to how he might improve his flavors, and he doesn't argue the validity of the suggestions at all, but takes them as some sort of class warfare. further to this he obviously thinks there is something heroic about using jarred ingredients, or about not making something as good as possible which is more irritating (to me at least) than whatever seasoning he chooses to use. considering what he seems to assume about his target audience, i'm surprised that he doesn't conduct all of his grilling from the comfort of a La-Z-Boy, and flip his burgers using an infomercial extendable back scratcher.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
Yes, but is your success dependent on the use of overly convenient store bought ingredients, or rather because you offer interesting recipes and extremely unique methods of grilling?

I think you are in a particularly unique position. Your site showcases a method of cooking that is exclusive to most American males, i.e. grilling. Once you have received the attention and curiosity of the general public, which it seems you have based on your interviews and such, you are equipped with a great venue of teaching and educating your viewers on the tenets and principles of eating healthy. This is something the average joe may have otherwise not been poised to learn. It would be great to show those who would use store bought sauces and spice blends, how simple and easy it is to make your own brines, stocks, rubs, sauces, etc.

It is not your duty to be a role model, I just think it's a nice idea.

Except that there's already like 500 grilling shows that do exactly that.

I also find it funny that jarred garlic is considered high brow, and fresh is not.. when some of the world's best peasant food, from very poor regions, calls for things like fresh herbs and garlic clove. I guess bedouins, Sardinians, Sicilians etc... are rolling in it. Most of them could never afford to buy the huge hunks of choice meat on Fool's website.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never thought this before, but honest question: should I start a little blog on my endeavors? Sorry for the minor threadjack but given how this thread is going seemed like a perfect spot to ask. Btw, GF, the venison looked good.
I think you should. You and Manton should colab on home cooking. I'd say Matt too but he was a pro so it's not the same. I particularly like that you lost 50+ lbs eating like a king. I think there could be some interest in that. I also think there's some interest in the fact that Manton eats like a king as well, and is thin as a rake. Now that is something America could benefit from.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads