• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Get your game on... the grill

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
GrillinFool, you clearly know what you're doing. Don't let the haters get you down.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GrillinFool
Part of our shtick is that we are regular guys doing amazing things on the grill and explaining the process as simply as possible so others can replicate our successes while not repeating our failures. That seems to be resonating. Hell, Rachel Ray has built an empire based on replicating simplicity. Takes 30 seconds to dice a clove of garlic? Takes 2 second to put a spoonful of the premade stuff into a dish. Oh, but that's too low brow. Maybe for you. But I'm appealing to a much broader audience than the thread ******* extraordinaire. 90% of the population can't taste the difference between the fresh and non fresh garlic. How many billion has McDonald's served? It may be low brow, but it's good marketing. Someone's buying all those jars of pre minced garlic, right?
hey projection, Sfield's completely polite, helpful comments are much better than you deserve.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
hey projection, Sfield's completely polite, helpful comments are much better than you deserve.
meh, sfield was def. polite here but he has been much less than charitable in many cases in the past, to the same poster, so I can understand why he would get defensive. Frankly, GF has had an incredibly thick skin given how much **** is thrown his way in... every... single... thread.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
meh, sfield was def. polite here but he has been much less than charitable in many cases in the past, to the same poster, so I can understand why he would get defensive. Frankly, GF has had an incredibly thick skin given how much **** is thrown his way in... every... single... thread.
GF takes all criticism, polite or not, as a personal insult or some sort of class warfare. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go bask in the luxury of my hoity-toity highfallutin heads of garlic. love your new avatar by the way.

GrillinFool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas

I'll admit that SField, has been more polite in this thread than just about any. Still taking subtle jabs, but not nearly as rudely as he has done in the past. Maybe I should cut the guy a break, but one instance doesn't make up for a all the crap he's flung my way.

Not exactly sure what I've done to draw the ire of this guy. Maybe he's a troll to everyone and not just me. I don't know. This is the most cordial he's been in any thread in which he "politely" told me all that I'm doing wrong and how he has far superior knowledge of this stuff than I do because he worked in a restaurant or something.

Maybe he's jealous that I could go so far with premade sauces and jarred garlic? That I have people knocking on my door to publish or air me for my food knowledge despite having no food industry experience like he has. I have no idea. All I know is that about the only down side to this whole gig I've got is the critics that tell me less than subtly how badly I'm doing things. That and I'm not making a living at this. The former will never go away, but the latter may happen one day...

SField asked what I wanted to do with this whole deal and I said I wasn't sure. Honestly, if it could pay for my kids to go to private school (the wife is a hardcore Catholic otherwise they would be going to public schools since we live in a good school district), maybe a vacation and Christmas gifts, I'd be more than giddy. That's all I'm hoping for. And I'll do it with premade sauces, dried herbs, and jarred garlic. All of those things are billion dollar industries. Someone is buying it. If I can show them how to cook with it and advertisers want to reach those people through me, then I'll be a happy camper...

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just want it to be known that every time GF makes a thread, my mouth immediately begins to salivate. It's like Pavlov's dog at this point.

Looks really good GF! I've never actually had venison myself, but I want to start hunting soon, and will definitely check this thread (and your site) out when I do.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Keep doing what you do, 'fool. But get used to internet experts giving you **** when your methods don't get with their ideals.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't watch many cooking shows anymore, but I can guarantee you that Bobby Flay and all the other buff dudes with grilling shows that scream into the camera make their own sauce, and you all see them mincing garlic. I've been present at more TV demos than I can count, and have done many myself while in Paris and NYC. Spooning a key component out of a jar just wouldn't work.

I get what your target audience is, but you and Bobby Flay share a target audience, as does Rachel Ray. People who are fairly pressed for time and need simple food. Pretty sure even Rachel Ray chops her own garlic, as does Martha Stewart, and quite honestly there are a number of cooks on this forum who are quite a bit more skilled than they are. I'd probably eat your food before I'd eat whatever slop Rachel Roy put together.

I won't belabor the point. Whatever success you've had is great. If this is how you will make an honest living, I salute you and wish you all the best. I'm just letting you know now that people want to feel as if the guy on TV is a capable person (more capable than them, the viewer), and taking too many short cuts doesn't look good. I've heard many a producer and focus group talk about this when one of my bosses was considering doing a PBS show (not that he had to be told with regards to this topic specifically.) A sort of cooking culture has emerged in the USA and there's this whole deal about using whole, fresh ingredients. Even the "low brow" stuff like Rachel Ray and Bobby Flay's cooking show and Guy Fieri stresses this.

GrillinFool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Keep doing what you do, 'fool. But get used to internet experts giving you **** when your methods don't get with their ideals.

I'm having too much fun not to. I'm doing pretty well with pre-minced garlic, using a specialty pre-made sauce, and even dried herbs and powdered/granulated garlic - EEK!! People spend billions on this stuff every year, but I should ignore this fact and only use fresh? There may be a movement to use only fresh stuff, one that when I was single and childless I was big proponent of (I never went into the interior aisles of a grocery store except for booze), but that "movement" isn't as big as people think. If this nation was all about fresh ingredients and eating well, we wouldn't have the overweight epidemic we are having. I've got no problem showing the fatties how to make great stuff on the grill using the ingredients of the common man. If that makes me low brow, then low brow I will be, and do so proudly. Do you think Hormel apologizes to anyone for the millions they make from selling spam?

GrillinFool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I don't watch many cooking shows anymore, but I can guarantee you that Bobby Flay and all the other buff dudes with grilling shows that scream into the camera make their own sauce, and you all see them mincing garlic. I've been present at more TV demos than I can count, and have done many myself while in Paris and NYC. Spooning a key component out of a jar just wouldn't work.

I get what your target audience is, but you and Bobby Flay share a target audience, as does Rachel Ray. People who are fairly pressed for time and need simple food. Pretty sure even Rachel Ray chops her own garlic, as does Martha Stewart, and quite honestly there are a number of cooks on this forum who are quite a bit more skilled than they are. I'd probably eat your food before I'd eat whatever slop Rachel Roy put together.

I won't belabor the point. Whatever success you've had is great. If this is how you will make an honest living, I salute you and wish you all the best. I'm just letting you know now that people want to feel as if the guy on TV is a capable person (more capable than them, the viewer), and taking too many short cuts doesn't look good. I've heard many a producer and focus group talk about this when one of my bosses was considering doing a PBS show (not that he had to be told with regards to this topic specifically.) A sort of cooking culture has emerged in the USA and there's this whole deal about using whole, fresh ingredients. Even the "low brow" stuff like Rachel Ray and Bobby Flay's cooking show and Guy Fieri stresses this.

Holy ****, that may have actually been a compliment. Well, a compliment wrapped up in another diatribe about how I'm still doing it wrong... Look, SField has a softer side behind that troll exterior. See, I can kinda compliment too!?!?

If I ever get to whatever city you live in (or bridge you live under), I'm buying, SField. I'll put it on the GrillinFools credit card and expense it as market research and write it off...

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy ****, that may have actually been a compliment. Well, a compliment wrapped up in another diatribe about how I'm still doing it wrong... Look, SField has a softer side behind that troll exterior. See, I can kinda compliment too!?!? If I ever get to whatever city you live in (or bridge you live under), I'm buying, SField. I'll put it on the GrillinFools credit card and expense it as market research and write it off...
Grillin Fool, the difference between people themselves consume and what they watch on TV are two entirely different things. Look at home improvement shows. You think the common man is really doing that? You think most people even cook a single thing they see Rachel Ray doing? It's all theater. Look at the popularity of Iron Chef. "Common" people love that ****. You have to look the part, and looking too much like them could hurt you. Now maybe you do in fact have a big background in "marketing," but you shouldn't discount what I'm saying to you because you don't want to mince some garlic. I'm sure what you're doing is working well, but I'm just telling you from my experience in the industry that there are certain expectations to meet. All those food shows and home improvement shows that Americans LOVE to watch are basically entertainment, and have absolutely nothing to do with what they themselves would ever endeavor to do. We may have different concepts of what marketing means. I went to Kellogg, so I suppose that explains my mode of reasoning whereas I'm sure you have your own as well.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I rather enjoy mincing fresh garlic.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never used pre-minced garlic and would find it odd if a cooking show used it, but I can't say I really give a ****.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
I'm having too much fun not to. I'm doing pretty well with pre-minced garlic, using a specialty pre-made sauce, and even dried herbs and powdered/granulated garlic - EEK!! People spend billions on this stuff every year, but I should ignore this fact and only use fresh? There may be a movement to use only fresh stuff, one that when I was single and childless I was big proponent of (I never went into the interior aisles of a grocery store except for booze), but that "movement" isn't as big as people think. If this nation was all about fresh ingredients and eating well, we wouldn't have the overweight epidemic we are having. I've got no problem showing the fatties how to make great stuff on the grill using the ingredients of the common man. If that makes me low brow, then low brow I will be, and do so proudly. Do you think Hormel apologizes to anyone for the millions they make from selling spam?

essentially you are taking a stand against health and better flavor because McDonalds is popular. i've never heard someone so proudly describe their effort to lower the bar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads