• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

George Will: Denim is the Devil

YoungM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Black Cherry
Sweat pants will be the new jeans in another couple decades. After that if the world isn't a lifeless ball of dirt yet, I'm sure the masses will be robed in some sort of literal robe-like one-piece garment. The Snuggy is ahead of its time. The progression towards don't-give-a-damn casual clothing will probably result in something like a toga, but with none of the grace or identity.

I don't understand this. To me, this is the same kind of old person insanity that leads to cries of "zomg, the children and their sex and their immorality! What is the world coming to!"

I think anyone who believes that the men of yesteryears cared anymore about their appearance than today's men are crazy. Social standards have changed, but men still only hope to achieve the social standards. Things change. It's cyclical- older is not always better.

Anyway, its late, so I probably don't make much sense, but in conclusion- jeans are fine. Anyone who gets riled up about the issue needs to relax.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Lulz, I think he's being sarcastic. BC wears jawnz, and he wears them well.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungM
I don't understand this. To me, this is the same kind of old person insanity that leads to cries of "zomg, the children and their sex and their immorality! What is the world coming to!"

I think anyone who believes that the men of yesteryears cared anymore about their appearance than today's men are crazy. Social standards have changed, but men still only hope to achieve the social standards. Things change. It's cyclical- older is not always better.

Anyway, its late, so I probably don't make much sense, but in conclusion- jeans are fine. Anyone who gets riled up about the issue needs to relax.

I think citing the Snuggy makes it obvious enough.

YoungM

Reaction score
I know Black Cherry was being sarcastic, I'm sorry the post seemed directed at him- it was directed more at the idea he was parodying.

Black Cherry's jeans are always exciting, and he does wear them well.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungM
Black Cherry's jeans are always exciting, and he does wear them well.

You can say that again!
inlove.gif

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BC may have been sarcastic, but there was an underlying truth, convenience and efficiency are very highly regarded these days and many people will opt for something easier over something more difficult/elaborate like putting together a decent outfit, this goes especially for men.

Yes, social standards have changed and people no longer need to wear nice clothes, so by men hoping to achieve these standards, they needn't even try. Men took far more care in what they wore back in the day, bespoke clothing was the norm and the aristrocrats set a standard for great attention to your attire. People's priorities have definitely changed over the years.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most estimates show that the average household today continues to spend around 6% of their household income on clothing. (About the same as what they pay for medical expenses). And this percentage is nearly the same regardless of income level. Outside of housing and transportation, clothing is one of the major expenses in most households.

Obviously the average household continues to spend a lot of money in an attempt to look fashionable, even if members of this forum feel they look terrible. So I really don't think we can conclude people no longer place a priority on clothing in general. I think it is clear there is no longer a priority for "dressy" or formal clothing though. And that all the extra money being saved by not having to purchase dress clothing has been diverted to streetwear or similar.

With all the extra money being spend on streetwear, one might expect the average person would look great in casual clothing. I would guess part of the problem has to do with lack of streetwear standards which the average person can rely upon. With more formal attire there are more set rules about what you can and cannot do, whereas streetwear affords people a lot more freedom.

The average joe can follow the rules for more formal attire ok, but with streetwear what do they have to rely on? There is simply so much looseness in what's allowable that many people end up totally directionless in their style. They simply don't care to put in the effort and the end result is a sloppy, terrible look. But for the motivated and creative types, streetwear appears to offer a lot more opportunities than what was previously possible!

I certainly agree with another poster here that well done streetwear looks far better than ill fitting, poorly done more formal attire.

Getting back to George Will.... I would guess it's this relative lack of rules and standards that really bothers him. But to blame denim itself is just plain wrong.

TxdoHawk

Reaction score
Seventy-five percent of American "gamers" -- people who play video games -- are older than 18 and nevertheless are allowed to vote.
Ouch.
laugh.gif
I'm surprised this guy has time to write articles, I can practically hear him screaming at kids to get off his lawn from here.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Most estimates show that the average household today continues to spend around 6% of their household income on clothing..

small time, come talk to me when you spend 118% of your income on bein steezy

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member