• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentleman's pocket knife

gsugsu

Reaction score

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually alternate between a Benchmade 530 or a Kershaw Ken Onion Chive. Neither are particularly elegant (at least in the way I think OP meant) but both are small and flat and (most importantly) light enough that they don't feel weird when wearing dress pants. I keep both razor sharp and they are very useful for boring day-to-day cutting tasks.

juncopardner

Reaction score

Kabar MOP half-congress, c. 1950. This was my grandfather's and now it's my edc along with one other. This is an ideal gent's knife IMO: simple, lightweight, non-threatening, and easy on the eyes.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool knife, but definitely not a gentleman's knife. A gent's knife in this day and age is basically any knife you can carry that wont cause you to get tackled, tased, and shackled if you take it out in public.
With some of the other ones pictured in this thread you chose this one to make those comments. What, really? LOL

Last edited:

juncopardner

Reaction score
With some of the other ones pictured in this thread you chose this one to make those comments. What, really? LOL
Haha, it was just most convenient one to tag. It's definitely less intimidating than some, but still way too "tactical" for social occasions IMO.

You couldn't take that sucker out in a restaurant to cut an errant piece of string from your coat without causing a panic. That's the domain of the gent's knife.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what are the deets on that knife, brand, cost...
Its a Rockstead Chi with duralumin handles and stingray inlays in the ZDP189 mirror blade version. Its also available in a YXR7 DLC blade version. If you google Rockstead knives you should be able to find a few vendors in the states that sell them although they have a pretty limited amount that they sell in the states every year. If your really interested you should also check out their website to give you a better idea as to what they are all about. They are a bit on the pricey side, although for knives it's all relative and there are more expensive ones out there. The blades on these things are simply amazing.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ordered this one. I hope to have it as early as July or as late as the end of August.

Last edited:

alford78

Reaction score

I really want one of their knives. The steel has me just as interested as their designs. I'm big into both Every Day Carry and Kitchen knives so this thread is right up my ally.

Some of my rotating knives depending on attire of course. Mainly carry my modded Chris Reeve small Sebenza Sheepsfoot and the small or large Hinderers. But all the hand mades are great but some stay put up since not worth using with today's pricing on them.

Then the kitchen magic. Just started with these and yes I've been cutting citrus lol. Only looks as they stay sharp with my Edge Pro

Last edited:

alford78

Reaction score

Cool knife, but definitely not a gentleman's knife. A gent's knife in this day and age is basically any knife you can carry that wont cause you to get tackled, tased, and shackled if you take it out in public.

It's quite refined in person and not all that large either. Very beautiful stingray inlay and the blade if crazy sharp and meant to stay sharp. Comes in many sizes and designs as well. Will be one of my next non custom hand mades. I just have my name on too many books right now for customs.

I really want a Richard Rogers "Sarpy, Shorty, or Chunky" looks just like a pen when in shirt pocket lol
http://richardrogersknives.com/models/

His other offerings are nice too but the Sharpy series is just so unique!

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really want one of their knives. The steel has me just as interested as their designs. I'm big into both Every Day Carry and Kitchen knives so this thread is right up my ally.
Nice collection.

I haven't been purchasing knives for very long, actually only a couple of months now but for some reason they just spoke to me. Hence the reason I have the Shu on order now. I've been considering the Higo with Ironwood handles as well, but the knife is a bit larger than what I prefer.

joshmick

Reaction score
I feel like with all of my estate sale shopping I do, I should be more educated on knives. Any brands you guys recommend keeping an eye out for, and what are signs of quality and value?

Thanks in advance!

PS, I don't dress CM very often, I just have a basic tactical black kershaw that works great for my needs. Looks fine with jeans and I like the wear marks it's putting in my gustins haha.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads