• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gennaro paone: former head tailor of rubinacci

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I was having a conversation with someone trying to determine where industrial organizational psychology ends and organizational behavior begins. We ultimately decided that it was a stupid conversation as the distinction didn't matter. I feel the same about "true" Neapolitan tailoring.

a) any line drawn will be fairly arbitrary within reason
b) any line drawn won't possess any significance

I can see someone disputing (b) by arguing that the label "Neapolitan" has some worth from a marketing standpoint. Maybe that's true.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I can see someone disputing (b) by arguing that the label "Neapolitan" has some worth from a marketing standpoint. Maybe that's true.

Yes, and frankly, it's usually a marketing point between Neapolitan tailors, not between Neapolitan tailors as a community and those in England or France. It's just sniping between tailors who live and work near each other, and often their clients, who like to bicker on the internet about how their Neapolitan commission differs from someone else's Neapolitan commission.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Do you think it'll actually affect anyone's bottom line?

For example, how many clients did NSM get due to their claim (accurate or otherwise) of providing Neapolitan tailoring vs getting clients that simply happened to like their work at those prices?

Victor Elfo

Reaction score
I happen to know the unlucky wearer of that db
this is the best shape one can achieve
imagine humpty-dumpty in a shorter and broader way
standing on two toothpicks
the tailor did a very very very good job, believe me

In that case, he really did a good job, because I really do not see those "issues". Based on what I can see, I would dial back on the lapel width (it dominates the chest, undermining it as a result) and ask for a cupped skirt, so as to undermine the hips. Dunno... What do you think of those suggestions?

My basic concern so far is that Paone seems to cut a narrow shoulder. Not sure if that's accurate or what, but one of the things I like about Rubinacci is the way they do a little extension so that the shoulders almost always look just a hair wider than the hips.

The sleeves seems to fall almost straight down on the DB coat, so I think that there's a shoulder extension there, at least.

Gennaro jacket sure looks good in these pics.

Of all the coats posted here and on his blog, the stuff he wears seems to be the best of the bunch in terms of cut, IMO.

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you think it'll actually affect anyone's bottom line?

For example, how many clients did NSM get due to their claim (accurate or otherwise) of providing Neapolitan tailoring vs getting clients that simply happened to like their work at those prices?

Wow, this fact is very interesting. I never thought about.

Do you mean that if instead of Neapolitan where from a random other part but at same price, would have have the same amount of bookings?

(note i am a fan of NSM jackets myself, not bashing)

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've worked with Gennaro on commissions of my own and seen him work with others. The shoulder width on my jackets are extended, chest is draped and there is no shoulder padding. The chest drape may not be apparent on the first couple of outings, but it's there. I've asked for these features along with jacket length, lapel width at the get-go as I thought it's better to have more allowance to dial down as necessary.

On the other hand, I've seen clients ask for little to no drape, narrower shoulders, shorter length, more or less fitted torso/sleeves etc. Gennaro is perfectly happy to accommodate their initial requests and discuss further with the clients during fittings. He's no tailor-Nazi. The only thing Gennaro is insistent on is to have Italian food when he's travelling :slayer::slayer:

I will post more pics of fitting and finished pieces from the Hong Kong trunk show next weekend so people can have a better idea of what's consistent in his work, and where there is variance depending on client preferences.

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can't wait to see.

Derek, if you can get him to come to SF, I'm 95% in....just PM me price range and a rough timeline.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Good to hear. Regardless of national style--London, Naples, New York--I always want a little extension.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
No.

[exaggerated for effect]

On the rare (as in, natural Pu 239) occasions when I go out in the city, here is the differing reaction I get.

My preferred style--meet random woman, she says "Aww, you're so sweet, you remind me of my great grandpa who died at age 95 when I was 11!"

Wearing NSM suit: "I'm in town on business for 18 hours, how about you come back to my hotel room and **** me until my skull cracks against the headboard?"

{/exaggerated for effect]

Yeah, I still prefer the old man cut.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I will post more pics of fitting and finished pieces from the Hong Kong trunk show next weekend so people can have a better idea of what's consistent in his work, and where there is variance depending on client preferences.
Could you include photos of the back, as well.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

No.

[exaggerated for effect]

On the rare (as in, natural Pu 239) occasions when I go out in the city, here is the differing reaction I get.

My preferred style--meet random woman, she says "Aww, you're so sweet, you remind me of my great grandpa who died at age 95 when I was 11!"

Wearing NSM suit: "I'm in town on business for 18 hours, how about you come back to my hotel room and **** me until my skull cracks against the headboard?"

Have you tried first telling these women about the history of the drape cut, the Duke of Windsor, Frederick Scholte, and Anderson & Sheppard? And maybe showed them some print outs of A Suitable Wardrobe?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

Have you tried first telling these women about the history of the drape cut, the Duke of Windsor, Frederick Scholte, and Anderson & Sheppard? And maybe showed them some print outs of A Suitable Wardrobe?

You know, it doesn't work.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No.

[exaggerated for effect]

Hmm. And how does the Steed play out?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads