• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You would get a much bigger jump in comfort by simply going from a 23 mm tire to a 28/30 mm tire or by optimising frame geometry than any change in frame material. And if you are riding on surfaces where compliance or vibration damping are a problem then the larger tire would also almost certainly have lower rolling resistance as well. I've ridden a couple of centuries on my CAAD8 and several on my steel Pinarello, comfort difference is minimal.

Every week there's a new thread in bikeforums where a guy who complains about his custom titanium frame being too harsh. then they post a picture and details of the frame and you can see they used thick tubing with super wide diameters and you feel bad that they guy dropped a lot of money for it but also just by eyeballing the frame and materials used you can tell its going to be a harsh ride.

My old carbon Van Dessel Rivet was carbon and weighed in well below 15lbs. But the thing rode harsh.

^it really reminds me of the early 90's soda can wide down tube-ed Caanondale aluminumun ass hatchet frames. Its amazing how Cannondale figured out how to make such dynamic aluminum frames over the years. The new Caad frames are both comfortable and racy something thought only achievable with carbon and lots of technology.

naturally it rode harsh because its basically a carbon fiber frame suited for Criterium races. :lol: I'd do 60mile rides after and just be trashed.

eventually i went back to steel, but you still can definitely have harsh steel rides too. its all about research.

There's been rave reviews of the continental gp 4000s tires specifically the 25c versions. I have to theorize that it's because they may be classified as 25c width but actually measure 27mm even heavier riders can ride them at 90psi on top of that they'd weigh 220g - they have to be thin.

So naturally a thin 27mm tire is going to be very comfortable. When you compare even the conti 4000 23c to older 80's-90's 23c equivalents the older gen tires are rock hard and super thin. My old 23c conti 4000s were 24mm+ in width - which ere comfortable in their own right.

Last edited:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just getting back into road riding after many many MANY years (I've been either mt. biking or motorcycle riding).

When I was 16 I was confident that I would race and win the Tour De France. Back then I lived in NYC and used to train constantly (well riding and soccer), even used to ride at the velodrome in Kissena Park in Flushing. I'm talking back in the 80s long before it was redone. I even did a stint as a bicycle messenger in Manhattan for 1 semester after watching Kevin Bacon in a bicycle messenger movie called Quicksilver. Yes I know how corny it sounds.

Anyhow I was by my mother's house this past weekend and she dug up my old riding shoes, a pair of Diadora shoes (back when riding shoes were still made of leather) with the cleats still attached. I remember buying them from Paragon Sports in Union Square with my money from my paper route. I took a look at them and realized they were advanced for their time and were "Look Compatible" which, if I am correct, is spd compatible as well. I guess now hey would be considered "vintage". Going to stop by a bike shop on the way home and and get some clipless cleats installed. Now I wonder where my fingerless gloves are???
laugh2-smiley_zpsa7ead38c.gif

9602097000_2b6ca1b96a_c.jpg

9602195948_1acc4c023b_c.jpg

Last edited:

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just getting back into road riding after many many MANY years (I've been either mt. biking or motorcycle riding). When I was 16 I was confident that I would race and win the Tour De France. Back then I lived in NYC and used to train constantly (well riding and soccer), even used to ride at the velodrome in Kissena Park in Flushing. I'm talking back in the 80s long before it was redone. I even did a stint as a bicycle messenger in Manhattan for 1 semester after watching Kevin Bacon in a bicycle messenger movie called Quicksilver. Yes I know how corny it sounds. Anyhow I was by my mother's house this past weekend and she dug up my old riding shoes, a pair of Diadora shoes (back when riding shoes were still made of leather) with the cleats still attached. I remember buying them from Paragon Sports in Union Square with my money from my paper route. I took a look at them and realized they were advanced for their time and were "Look Compatible" which, if I am correct, is spd compatible as well. I guess now hey would be considered "vintage". Going to stop by a bike shop on the way home and and get some clipless cleats installed. Now I wonder where my fingerless gloves are???
laugh2-smiley_zpsa7ead38c.gif
9602097000_2b6ca1b96a_c.jpg
9602195948_1acc4c023b_c.jpg
Do ittttttt

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't been to the shop yet but threw some black polish on them. They haven't been polished in...hell they have never been polished! lol. Now I got some new looking old shoes. Whooohoo

Think I'm going with Look pedals

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Haven't been to the shop yet but threw some black polish on them.  They haven't been polished in...hell they have never been polished! lol.  Now I got some new looking old shoes.  Whooohoo

Think I'm going with Look pedals

Go with Time if you can.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

long_knives

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First post here.

Just wanted to show off my new ride.

105/Tiagra, Cinelli, and Mavic on a freshly painted steel Univega. Used mainly for daily commutes.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wife and I road Shimanami kaido last weekend, very nice days ride.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wife and I just got back from six days' biking (330+ miles) from Pittsburgh to DC. We're still married! Blew some spokes on my rear wheel; built 'em seven years ago and I'm running disc brakes on non-disc-approved super-butted spokes, so I'm amazed they lasted this long... I'll have somebody who knows what they're doing build up the hub on a new rim with normal DB spokes.

I've been out of the industry for a while. Any recommendations for a 29er disc-only non-tubeless rim?

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wife and I just got back from six days' biking (330+ miles) from Pittsburgh to DC. We're still married! Blew some spokes on my rear wheel; built 'em seven years ago and I'm running disc brakes on non-disc-approved super-butted spokes, so I'm amazed they lasted this long... I'll have somebody who knows what they're doing build up the hub on a new rim with normal DB spokes.

I've been out of the industry for a while. Any recommendations for a 29er disc-only non-tubeless rim?

Feel you.

vm1336

Reaction score

http://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/blunt-622

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone need new shoes?

Roll bikes (in Chicago and Columbus) has a killer deal on Sidi Genius 5 (road) and Dominator 5 (mtb) shoes. $120 a pair although I am not sure they will do returns at this price point. Shipping is ~$7

http://roll-online.com/product-list/sale-pg175/?rb_ct=1212&rb_br=128

Said on Facebook that the email announcing the sale will go out tomorrow (and its not listed on the front page of their site) so it looks like they still have a full size run.

Last edited:

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone need new shoes?

Roll bikes (in Chicago and Columbus) has a killer deal on Sidi Genius 5 (road) and Dominator 5 (mtb) shoes. $120 a pair although I am not sure they will do returns at this price point. Shipping is ~$7

http://roll-online.com/product-list/sale-pg175/?rb_ct=1212&rb_br=128

Said on Facebook that the email announcing the sale will go out tomorrow (and its not listed on the front page of their site) so it looks like they still have a full size run.

That's a good buy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads