• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd post a pic of my bike, since I finally found it in the Trek archive.

A kinda fuzzy pic, sorry. I'll try to take an actual pic tomorrow.

6700.jpg

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't think I ever posted my Lemond Tourmalet. My cousin (black Cannondale R700) and I were somewhere between NJ and PA. Very nice roads, but people fly through that single-lane road like it was a big highway. We planned on going a little further, but we found a little tavern on the side of the road and, after a couple of pints, it became our ultimate destination.

My bike is still basically the same, except for a new Selle Italia saddle.

dsc2147.jpg

dsc2159l.jpg

dsc2169.jpg

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biscotti
I've pretty much been too fearful to ride lately; just afraid of getting hit. I just know too many who have been hit, and one seriously injured. How do I get over the fears?
Cars hit bicycles in stereotypical fashion. The 'right cross' is most common. The car pulls out from a right side street into/in front of you. The 'right hook' also common. The car going in the same direction makes a right turn into/in front of you. There's only a few other common scenarios including doors opening, 'left cross', etc. and the likelihood can be minimized by your riding. Ironically, I think new cyclists try to ride in what they think is a safe way but in fact put themselves at greater danger. Riding on the sidewalk away from the cars for instance. This is asking for a right cross/hook. You have to assert yourself on the road and make the cars notice you. This often involves taking an entire lane which as a vehicle you are entitled to take. Read more on riding and don't be timid, you'll be alright.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DarkNWorn's post reminded of a guy I talked to yesterday when buying my bike.

He described my old bike as alright for riding to school or for bar hoppin. Do people actually use bikes to ride to bars? I've plenty about bikes being built for bar hoppin, but never a bicycle...

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
DarkNWorn's post reminded of a guy I talked to yesterday when buying my bike.

He described my old bike as alright for riding to school or for bar hoppin. Do people actually use bikes to ride to bars? I've plenty about bikes being built for bar hoppin, but never a bicycle...

Hmm...I probably wouldn't go bar hopping on a bike. A couple of beers, then go home, yes. But once you're **** face, you'll be wobbly. I wouldn't want to be wobbly on a bike riding on a busy street with cars going by at 30-50mph. All it takes is one hit.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
Cars hit bicycles in stereotypical fashion. The 'right cross' is most common. The car pulls out from a right side street into/in front of you. The 'right hook' also common. The car going in the same direction makes a right turn into/in front of you. There's only a few other common scenarios including doors opening, 'left cross', etc. and the likelihood can be minimized by your riding. Ironically, I think new cyclists try to ride in what they think is a safe way but in fact put themselves at greater danger. Riding on the sidewalk away from the cars for instance. This is asking for a right cross/hook. You have to assert yourself on the road and make the cars notice you. This often involves taking an entire lane which as a vehicle you are entitled to take. Read more on riding and don't be timid, you'll be alright.
Good tips. Almost got nailed the other night while in the shoulder of a 1-lane yet high-traffic road the other day by an Escalade w/ a few D-bags in it, passenger had the nerve to yell 'get the **** out of the road' after nearly side-swiping me. I have flashing lights front and back on my road bike so visibility wasnt an issue. They took off, adrenaline started flowing after that, cranked the pedals like a madman trying to catch up at red lights, every time I got to them they'd just blow the light. Finally caught them at a red w/ cars in front of their vehicle, they had nowhere to go. Flew up on the passenger side, grabbed the door handle and opened it, told the a-hole exactly what was on my mind
censored.gif

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

I think some of you guys might enjoy this.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I biked to work today for the first time. Easy as pie and I did it in a really haphazzard way that made it longer than it needed to be. So figuring out the route better will make it even easier.

b

slaani

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
Finally caught them at a red w/ cars in front of their vehicle, they had nowhere to go. Flew up on the passenger side, grabbed the door handle and opened it, told the a-hole exactly what was on my mind
censored.gif

If this is a true story you're a hero.

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got side-swiped a few weeks ago by an SUV who pulled in to parallel park without signaling. Turned out to be the most congenial accident ever. The driver was really nice -- gave me first aid, insurance info was solid, even drove me home afterward. My knee and wrist were pretty banged up, but no structural damage. All was pretty well healed within a month, though it was a real pain in the meantime. The driver's insurance company paid for everything -- medical bills, bike replacement, bus transport in the meantime, etc.

My attitude is that **** happens when cars and bikes share the road -- if you ride defensively, you'll minimize the chance of getting hit, but if you're not prepared for the possibility that something might happen, then maybe urban riding is not for you.

indy116

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
Do people actually use bikes to ride to bars? I've plenty about bikes being built for bar hoppin, but never a bicycle...

My cousin's husband rode is bike out to bars because he had lost his driver's license. Got himself hit riding home one night too. The settlement was much smaller because he was drunk..

I was talking to some guys last night that were telling me that in Indiana that bicycles have a right to use roadways, but that cars have the privilege. But, the local prosecutor interprets the law saying you have to try to avoid an accident to mean that you could have avoided an accident by not riding your bike on the street. I guess they've heard of car drivers not being prosecuted for hitting bicycle riders.

I'm still too new to cycling - I try not to venture too far off the multi-use trails
redface.gif

mcs5280

Reaction score
I figured this might be a good place to put this question:

Has anyone had any luck finding some cool cycling related T-shirts? I've been looking at bike shops around here and haven't had much luck. All they sell is jerseys and other riding gear.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by g transistor
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

I think some of you guys might enjoy this.

Thanks, I needed that!
lol8[1].gif

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mcs5280
I figured this might be a good place to put this question:

Has anyone had any luck finding some cool cycling related T-shirts? I've been looking at bike shops around here and haven't had much luck. All they sell is jerseys and other riding gear.

It depends upon your definition of cool, but try http://www.twinsix.com.
I've seen them at REI.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads