• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One thing that was helpful for me was to give up on the idea of intense trainer workouts most of the time, and just use it to keep moving and maintain a base. Zwift was killing my motivation because I felt like I couldn't ever quite meet its expectations of me. So, I just put on exciting WWII movies, did my own intervals or easy spins, and I've started the year in decent shape.

Yeah, I cancelled zwift and think that I will switch to TrainerRoad as a way to still have structured workouts/training plans...but then just watch TV/Movies like I used to do when I had a set of rollers.

Never really got into the Zwift stuff. I suppose it is a little more engaging to be riding around the roads and pass other people but it is not like I have a group of friends doing it with me. Maybe I could have tried harder to get into the racing element, but the random small low-level races I tried weren't exciting and I wasn't strong enough to hang with the high level groups where actual race strategy exists.

TrainerRoad also sounds like it can better integrate with your other activity. Can just go enjoy your outdoor activities and let your training plan account for them (something I struggle with when trying to follow any sort of training/exercise plan...I'm not going to sit inside and do my exercises if there's hero dirt outside).
Annoying that it costs MORE than Zwift though...Zwift has a full on 3D game engine and runs all kinds of events.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing that was helpful for me was to give up on the idea of intense trainer workouts most of the time, and just use it to keep moving and maintain a base. Zwift was killing my motivation because I felt like I couldn't ever quite meet its expectations of me. So, I just put on exciting WWII movies, did my own intervals or easy spins, and I've started the year in decent shape.

Same. I do better with trainer rides if I just use it to mindlessly keep my legs moving while watching TV. Speaking of which, I need to set up the TV in the basement for trainer rides in our new house.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In a similar vein to the trainer...I also didn't accomplish anything on the "winter bike maintenance list" I made for myself.

Although that means that yesterday's XC ride was on my old wheelset so I will have more recent memories to compare when I switch everything over to my sexy carbon wheelset.

I did take advantage of of Fox's "soft recall" on the 2021+ Float X2 shocks on my Ripmo. I think mine was starting to show the symptoms and figured even if they just tear it down and replace the bad internals, I'm getting a full shock service for free. But they just sent me a brand new 2024 X2 instead.

Need to reinstall it and tune it for myself (might need to add volume spacers). Need a new tire too. Then the fork on the Ripmo is probably also due for at least a lower service. Never done it before but it shouldn't be too complicated...just might need some new tools and appropriate oil.

Yeti SB115 needs the new wheels/tires, some better downtube paint protection film, and some special grease for the switch infinity link--suspension can probably last another season without service.

Townie bike with a vintage Bendix Automatic kickback hub needs a full rebuild but I might just donate the bike to a thrift store and build something else.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I cancelled zwift and think that I will switch to TrainerRoad as a way to still have structured workouts/training plans...but then just watch TV/Movies like I used to do when I had a set of rollers.

Never really got into the Zwift stuff. I suppose it is a little more engaging to be riding around the roads and pass other people but it is not like I have a group of friends doing it with me. Maybe I could have tried harder to get into the racing element, but the random small low-level races I tried weren't exciting and I wasn't strong enough to hang with the high level groups where actual race strategy exists.

TrainerRoad also sounds like it can better integrate with your other activity. Can just go enjoy your outdoor activities and let your training plan account for them (something I struggle with when trying to follow any sort of training/exercise plan...I'm not going to sit inside and do my exercises if there's hero dirt outside).
Annoying that it costs MORE than Zwift though...Zwift has a full on 3D game engine and runs all kinds of events.
TrainerRoad's podcast is really good, too. Zwift is all fancy but I feel like there is a lot that's awkward about it, like, it's hard to draft, the cadence of the rider doesn't match mine, which is distracting, and you just kind of run into the people in front of you.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In stark contrast to my winter training, my maintenance game is on point!

Cleaned drivetrains and chains this week. I keep saying I'll try hot waxing but I never do. I'm about half way there with my process but the idea of a crockpot always stops me.

I remove chains, shake in a ball jar with degreaser (or stripper if its a new chain), rinse in warm water and hang dry for a few hours (overnight if possible). Then I apply a drop of lube to each link top/bottom. This sounds like a PIA but only takes a few minutes.

I used Squirt for a while, then switched to CeramicSpeed (though my bottle looks like the old formulation). Both work well but tend to gum up the pulley wheels. However, they keep the drivetrain quiet for a couple hundred miles or so during the summer (99% dry road riding).

This year I bought a bottle of Silca's lube. I don't have the miles to really make a comparison but it dries cleaner and doesn't gum up the derailleur like the others. I've been using Silca's chain stripper which isn't really designed as a general degreaser but it works so well I just use it for both new chains and dirty chains.

I keep watching Silca's waxing videos but never get around to doing it myself. I have to say their one step clean and wax system with the Strip Chip is intriguing.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Decided it was past time replace the ~2011 road helmet, so I ordered a bunch of different ones (nothing I tried on locally fit well).

I think the winner for my head shape is the Giro Helios Spherical Helmet.

It uses a super cool Mips variant they call "ball and socket" where instead of having the plastic Mips plate against your head, the helmet is made of 2 pieces of styrofoam where the inner one is able to rotate.
Spherical-Marquee.gif

Seems to save you from the noise standard Mips helmets are prone to making and avoids the MIPS liner blocking airflow/feeling sweaty.

Only downside seems to be that despite being a fairly high end helmet, it is noticeably heavier than the outgoing one...but that seems par for the course with Mips.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m about to break down and order a 3D printed helmet because it’s almost impossible to find a stock helmet that fits my large, oblong head. I’ve been looking at Kav, but resisted due to color options. Looks like they offer a custom option now!
IMG_2279.jpeg

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In stark contrast to my winter training, my maintenance game is on point!

Cleaned drivetrains and chains this week. I keep saying I'll try hot waxing but I never do. I'm about half way there with my process but the idea of a crockpot always stops me.

I remove chains, shake in a ball jar with degreaser (or stripper if its a new chain), rinse in warm water and hang dry for a few hours (overnight if possible). Then I apply a drop of lube to each link top/bottom. This sounds like a PIA but only takes a few minutes.

I used Squirt for a while, then switched to CeramicSpeed (though my bottle looks like the old formulation). Both work well but tend to gum up the pulley wheels. However, they keep the drivetrain quiet for a couple hundred miles or so during the summer (99% dry road riding).

This year I bought a bottle of Silca's lube. I don't have the miles to really make a comparison but it dries cleaner and doesn't gum up the derailleur like the others. I've been using Silca's chain stripper which isn't really designed as a general degreaser but it works so well I just use it for both new chains and dirty chains.

I keep watching Silca's waxing videos but never get around to doing it myself. I have to say their one step clean and wax system with the Strip Chip is intriguing.

I just ordered a bunch of Muc Off stuff for bike cleaning and maintenance. The Silca stuff is supposed to be really good.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Decided it was past time replace the ~2011 road helmet, so I ordered a bunch of different ones (nothing I tried on locally fit well).

I think the winner for my head shape is the Giro Helios Spherical Helmet.

It uses a super cool Mips variant they call "ball and socket" where instead of having the plastic Mips plate against your head, the helmet is made of 2 pieces of styrofoam where the inner one is able to rotate.
Spherical-Marquee.gif

Seems to save you from the noise standard Mips helmets are prone to making and avoids the MIPS liner blocking airflow/feeling sweaty.

Only downside seems to be that despite being a fairly high end helmet, it is noticeably heavier than the outgoing one...but that seems par for the course with Mips.
I’ve now had Giro sphericals since the Aether came out (Aether and now i have the Aries). Comfort is definitely there and just like you, it somehow fits my head so much better than anything else - maybe we have the same head shape.

I haven’t tested the tech in a crash, thankfully, but the big reason for me to stick with this helmet, besides fit, is air flow. It’s crucial

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just made a foray into 3D printed saddles by ordering this:

I always am fighting saddle soreness so this will be money gladly spent if it significantly improves comfort. I was between fizik or the specialized mirror line, but then got a fizik discount code from strava that swung the decision.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads