• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My plan, which I have done earlier, was to buy something like this for around 60-70USD and ride it for 2-3 months till my enthusiasm starts to wane. Then the cycle gathers dust for a couple of months after which I pass it to my domestic help. That way, there is little wastage of money, if I dont use it, people who work for me use it. They are always grateful and I dont feel much guilt

https://www.bsahercules.com/Product-Features.asp?pid=63

Chico2007

Reaction score

its a NOS frame. a bike mechanic put it up on Craigslist (Philadelphia) and I was searching through my local NYC craigslist and it popped out on the "nearby" listings. I didn't really believe the price, but I

That thing is sweeeet! I think I looked at the same craigslist ad. Considered it for a bit and then decided against it b/c I've been getting rid of bikes. BUt that RB is really nice.:slayer:

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know the answer to this question can vary, yet could anyone tell me how much it would cost to build a bike from the frame up with a decent groupset (campag athena<) and solid bombproof wheels?

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
everything is all dialed in. this is what i'll be racing on this season (collegiate and hopefully getting my 3's upgrade)

IMG_20111211_124346.jpg

sz 54 caad10
sram force
selle italia turbomatic saddle
cannondale c2 carbon post
deda servizio corse -12 degree 110mm
3t ergonova pro 42
arundel cork bartape (might switch for lizard skin later for more grip)
dura ace 7900 clinchers w/ shwalbe ultremo zx (might swap for pro4's or open corsa cx/sc's)
arundel mandible carbon cages
cateye v3

Last edited:

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know the answer to this question can vary, yet could anyone tell me how much it would cost to build a bike from the frame up with a decent groupset (campag athena<) and solid bombproof wheels?

How long is a piece of string?

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

everything is all dialed in. this is what i'll be racing on this season (collegiate and hopefully getting my 3's upgrade)
IMG_20111211_124346.jpg

sz 54 caad10
sram force
selle italia turbomatic saddle
cannondale c2 carbon post
deda servizio corse -12 degree 110mm
3t ergonova pro 42
arundel cork bartape (might switch for lizard skin later for more grip)
dura ace 7900 clinchers w/ shwalbe ultremo zx (might swap for pro4's or open corsa cx/sc's)
arundel mandible carbon cages
cateye v3

Nice bike.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My frame seems to actually exist!

Here it is next to its mistake-twin (which has existed for months, but was built with single speed track ends instead of dropouts and a derailleur hanger):

Powdercoat closeup:

Pre-powder:

click for bigger pics

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which are best for cold weather road cycling, tights or leg warmers?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Which are best for cold weather road cycling, tights or leg warmers?

Real cold weather? Tights.

Or knickers and tall wool socks...but those won't be quite as warm. Legwarmers are for more moderate temps or when you are expecting temp changes during a ride since they are easy to remove and stash.

I've got wool ibex knickers, light synthetic tights, and heavier wind blocking fleece lined tights and with some combo of those (plus maybe a silk or synthetic base layer) I am fine with anything Chicago can throw at me. Wish the same were true about the test of my body.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Real cold weather? Tights.
Or knickers and tall wool socks...but those won't be quite as warm. Legwarmers are for more moderate temps or when you are expecting temp changes during a ride since they are easy to remove and stash.
I've got wool ibex knickers, light synthetic tights, and heavier wind blocking fleece lined tights and with some combo of those (plus maybe a silk or synthetic base layer) I am fine with anything Chicago can throw at me. Wish the same were true about the test of my body.

Cheers, I've used tights before but never legwarmers, need a new pair since I've got a fair bit taller since the last time I did any real winter riding but wasn't sure what to get - can't even remember how effective tights were.

oisin

Reaction score
just picked up a pair of Mission Workshop Rondel shoes (http://missionworkshop.com/products/bike_shoes/spd_compatible/mens/rondel_sneaker.php). My first clipless shoe, pairing it with Shimano PD-A530 pedals. So far I really like the shoes, but I can't fully clip into the right pedal and the bolt for adjusting is stripped. Gah. Going to try to RMA the pedals. But I like the idea of sneaker-looking clipless shoes. These are comfortable, easy to walk in, the clips are pretty well concealed, etc. I basically use my bike for commuting so it works for me. I'm not sure how much better serious shoes would be, but I already like going clipless better than just pedaling on platforms. I got the 1/2 clipless 1/2 platforms though because I do a decent amount of riding around town and expect I won't always want to wear sneakers.

Anyone have good recs for knickers? I've heard swrve is good and plan to check those out, and I kind of want these: http://bicyclefixation.com/prod_wool_knickers.html. But I'm 6'5" so I'm worried they will be too short.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

just picked up a pair of Mission Workshop Rondel shoes (http://missionworkshop.com/products/bike_shoes/spd_compatible/mens/rondel_sneaker.php). My first clipless shoe, pairing it with Shimano PD-A530 pedals. So far I really like the shoes, but I can't fully clip into the right pedal and the bolt for adjusting is stripped. Gah. Going to try to RMA the pedals. But I like the idea of sneaker-looking clipless shoes. These are comfortable, easy to walk in, the clips are pretty well concealed, etc. I basically use my bike for commuting so it works for me. I'm not sure how much better serious shoes would be, but I already like going clipless better than just pedaling on platforms. I got the 1/2 clipless 1/2 platforms though because I do a decent amount of riding around town and expect I won't always want to wear sneakers.
Anyone have good recs for knickers? I've heard swrve is good and plan to check those out, and I kind of want these: http://bicyclefixation.com/prod_wool_knickers.html. But I'm 6'5" so I'm worried they will be too short.

I often ride my Time ATAC pedals with normal shoes and it works fine for short distances. Its not quite as comfortable as a full platform but they are big enough that you feet stick fine (and they are the best pedals unless you need pure roadie pedals).

For knickers, Ibex wool knickers all of the way. Unless you are talking about baggy pant-like knickers in which case I say why?

oisin

Reaction score

I often ride my Time ATAC pedals with normal shoes and it works fine for short distances. Its not quite as comfortable as a full platform but they are big enough that you feet stick fine (and they are the best pedals unless you need pure roadie pedals).
For knickers, Ibex wool knickers all of the way. Unless you are talking about baggy pant-like knickers in which case I say why?

because they look kinda cool? i like the idea of having a few bike-focused items that can still be worn casually around without looking like a cyclist.

Thanks for the deets on the Time pedals. I may find a shop that has some and see how it is riding on a regular shoe.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think you'll still look like a cyclist in any pair of knickers in most people's eyes. Sure, they're better than spandex tights; but still. Right now, I think the man on the street will see knickers and think "hipster cyclist." Just depends on if you care or not.

But those Swrve and Ibex look nice, I have to say. And $100 for the Swrve seems like a nice price too. But in a classic frustrating move, they only make them up to a 38" waist. It's like they've perfectly combined the cyclist and hipster markets. $170 for the Ibex is way too expensive imo (though they're probably really high quality, knowing Ibex). And they're slim cut. Sigh.

I say pull the trigger on the Swrve and who cares if anyone thinks you look like a cyclist. You'll be extremely stylish as well as functional. I thought I'd hate knickers but I have a pair of bib knickers (spandex) and I love them. If I could find a nice pair like these in my size, I'd probably buy them.

b

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member