• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find my Vass leathers quite stiff compared to G&G, and the inner leathers too are quite inferior to G&G. G&G will definitely feel better than Vass, but are they worth more than double than a C&J Handgrade is very questionable...

I agree with this assessment. I like Vass and have several pairs, but I consider them my "rugged" shoes and boots based on the stiffness of leather.

I am in partial agreement - no question leather quality inside and out is superior in my G&G - but then the cost is also significantly greater.

As for the stiffness, I find the descriptions above somewhat overstated - and the difference is certainly far less pronounced after break-in than fresh out of the box. Also, Vass museum calf is noticeably more supple than their box calf.

I can't say the leather quality makes me peigeon-hole my Vass pairs as purely "rugged" shoes and boots by any stretch. And this is in the context of a rotation that includes EG and St. Crispin's as well.

This pair of austerity brogues, for example, does not suffer much in comparison to higher priced brands:

orig.jpg

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the input. I have a normal instep and thus Vass U and F lasts don't fit me that well - normal size results in decent toe fit, but roomy instep/heel slip, whereas sizing down results in correct heel/instep but tight toes. I didn't know RL carries GG so I will check them out some time. I remember just last year when I was contemplating picking up some GG and I could get SJ2 for under $1k yet now they are over $1k, and I've read about imminent price increases yet again...

The sales reps at RL will most likely not be able to tell you which are G&G, it's not like it's official. Purple
Lable also has shoes from other makers like C&J and even EG if I recall correctly. If you've handled a few G&G you'll be able to tell but the sales reps will probably just say they are all made by RL. :)

Haha this is generally the case with RL, as some will insist shoes are made by Ralph Lauren not by another maker. That said there is a purple label guy in the rodeo drive location that used to do corporate footwear for RL and he does know he shoes. Older guy want to say his name is Scott? Also the G&G shoes will probably be D / narrow width.

Khakis has G&G so it might be worth a drive out to Carmel instead. Or just trust Patrik and Skoab for with their sizing recs, they are pretty accurate.

Last edited:

armsignet

Reaction score
Quote:
I am in partial agreement - no question leather quality inside and out is superior in my G&G - but then the cost is also significantly greater.

As for the stiffness, I find the descriptions above somewhat overstated - and the difference is certainly far less pronounced after break-in than fresh out of the box. Also, Vass museum calf is noticeably more supple than their box calf.

I can't say the leather quality makes me peigeon-hole my Vass pairs as purely "rugged" shoes and boots by any stretch. And this is in the context of a rotation that includes EG and St. Crispin's as well.

This pair of austerity brogues, for example, does not suffer much in comparison to higher priced brands:

orig.jpg

To clarify, when I said "rugged," I did not mean wear them stomping through mud or anything. I meant, for instance, I am more likely to wear Vass over GG or StC when traveling because I am less worried about getting severe scuffs or scrapes in heavy foot traffic in airports.

Vass makes fine shoes and boots, as seen from your example above. I think the difference in price between GG and Vass is much larger than the difference in quality, if you can get Vass at European pricing.

grizzlygiant

Reaction score
Hello SF, I recently purchased these Glencoes off Faster here and I absolutely love them. I am a bit concerned that they may be half a size too large though and was looking for some feedback. The boots fit nicely width wise and I have no heel slip but there is a perhaps an inch and a half room in the toes. When I wear them they are comfortable but I am worried about creasing issues due to the extra length and was wondering how they compare to others who may own the Glencoes as well. The photos below are after a full days length of wear. Thanks!

heelguy

Reaction score

Hello SF, I recently purchased these Glencoes off Faster here and I absolutely love them. I am a bit concerned that they may be half a size too large though and was looking for some feedback. The boots fit nicely width wise and I have no heel slip but there is a perhaps an inch and a half room in the toes. When I wear them they are comfortable but I am worried about creasing issues due to the extra length and was wondering how they compare to others who may own the Glencoes as well. The photos below are after a full days length of wear. Thanks!
Grizzly-I also have these Glencoe and they have been fine size-wise for me (normal GG size that I take which is the same for EG).

Diabolical

Reaction score
^^ I'm launching the Vintage Oak GMTO on our site tomorrow. If we are ever gonna have a chance to beat the price increase we need to act fast.

The most sensible make up IMHO is
MH71
Blind Eyelets + Speed Hooks
No storm welt (as its plain calf)
Dainite sole with a thin midsole

It will be a sweet make up and we'll finally have our F-width GMTO after almost two months of trying to get people to rally around one style.

I will support the Racing Green Hatch as much as I can but I just can't order a pair for myself.
Can we still get the racing green hatch thorpes in before the price increase if there's enough interest?

striker

Reaction score
I would be interested in a racing green isham or a pearl grey St James II GMTO if it can be done before the price increment. I dun wear boots much even in winter, unless I am shoveling snow.

If it gets too close to St Crispin in price, I'd rather take a hand welted shoe.

Last edited:

DeSense

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question regards fit/feel difference, if any, between GG06 and MH71 lasts. With the GG06 being round tipped, does it possibly have a little more wiggle room in the toe box up front? Reason I ask, my Isham MH71s are probably a tat too long, maybe even wide in my normal size. For an Oxford GG06, I consider going down a half size in length, but probably not width.
I just need some encouragement there...

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would be interested in a racing green isham or a pearl grey St James II GMTO if it can be done before the price increment. I dun wear boots much even in winter, unless I am shoveling snow.

If it gets too close to St Crispin in price, I'd rather take a hand welted shoe.

and the difference of the hand welted shoe would give you a significant advantage or would significantly be worth it because???????

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamstom