• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Steven Cash, There has been a lot of transitions lately in the shoe world but hopefully the unfinished trees will be a mute point for you eventually. I mentioned it previously but the natural trees will at least help with moisture absorption better than lacquered ones.

agedashidofu

Reaction score

@Steven Cash, There has been a lot of transitions lately in the shoe world but hopefully the unfinished trees will be a mute point for you eventually. I mentioned it previously but the natural trees will at least help with moisture absorption better than lacquered ones.

+1
I've always believed that shoe trees should be natural to serve their main purpose - which is to absorb moisture and prolong the life of your shoes.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1
I've always believed that shoe trees should be natural to serve their main purpose - which is to absorb moisture and prolong the life of your shoes.

I've read the same on more than one occasion but I have to say that I have never experienced any difference in performance as between finished and unfinished trees over a great many shoe/years. It's not like my shoes with finished trees are all moist and clammy while my shoes with unfinished trees are fresh and dry. Or that there is any perceptible difference in this regard. At all.

And it kind of doesn't make conceptual sense to me in any event that unfinished trees really absorb moisture to any great degree. What purpose would that serve? So the moisture that was in the shoe is now in the unfinished tree - what happens next? Doesn't that moisture still have to go somewhere - namely, evaporate out of the tree, through the upper? I'm not saying they don't / can't work that way, I'm saying I don't get the how of it.

One thing I do get is that the old G&G trees looked like works of art and the new ones look like Allen Edmonds, so regardless of any performance deficit (theoretical or real), I miss them. Call me shallow. ;-)

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am with you on old lasted shoe tree RogerP your neck of a wood has huge sale on them also 60$ LF.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1
No ...it is to keep the shape of the shoes to prolong their life. Give your shoes some time before you insert the trees to release that moisture. Neither RogerP nor anyone have experience different benefits comming from lacquered or unfinished shoe trees.

But those GG trees are really nice TtownMD.

Here C&J.

Last edited:

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dean returned my call today and amongst a lot of concerns I have I raised the point of the Deco shoe trees. Apparently the black shoe trees with the D on the heelpiece are no longer produced and haven't been for some time despite being illustrated in their MTO section - the new Bespoke England website.

All trees now are natural finish unless purchased from Savile Row and then they are cherry but the customer can request other colours specifically. Apparently it is my fault for not specifying I wanted black despite not being made aware of the choice and (wrongly) assuming this was part of the package.

Can't say I am particularly impressed with the response but there you go.

Hopefully it may be of use to other forum members in the future.

Thank you for sharing this very informative info :D

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty soon we'll have some custom lacquer work on trees... Next new SF business venture? :)

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

and if this helps at all, I have compared Deco and normal MTO shoes side by side. They really do feel the same, but you can see the difference in the aesthetics from the different last as well as the other extra handwork. 

The big factors to consider are if you like the last enough, if that last will fit you well, and if the extra charge is worth it to you. In my opinion, it can be worth it for certain styles, but for most styles the RTW / MTO are more than enough. 

Thanks, some more food for thought. I still am reticent about spending so much for a shoe that I likely cannot try before buying, that may be a little to "pinchy".

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Attention F-width G&G fans. We are hoping to put together a group order, and as you know, all widths must now be the same. So we of the slightly wide feet have to come together on our own GMTOs or else get perpetually left out in the cold. A number have already indicated an interest over on the Skoak forum. For any of you that don't lurk there a) what's wrong with you? and b) please feel free to express your interest here.

So far we have the following members who have raised their hands for membership in F Company:

@RogerP

@Latecomer

@Pbayvip

@jrb666

@nickrut

@Faster

@vorkanz

@patliean1

@Tallcane

@stevent

@Steel28

Anybody else please sound off. No idea what will ultimately capture the interest of al least 6 members of the group as that discussion is yet to come. First we need to identify the members of the group.

added;

@bsmw

@Shawl Lapel
@emiristol
@itraxx
@shaggycalf

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads