• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

Staffer18283

Reaction score
My solution for this was to get two pairs of shoes in vintage cherry
shog[1].gif
and use hermes red on one and neutral cream on the other pair.

Oh then you're the perfect person to answer this riddle which has kept many people up all night. Ideally, should buy one more pair and polish it with Mahogany cream to have this debate put to rest,

Which one wins ?

dalevy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I tried the mahogany cream with neutral wax on a EG's burgundy antique (already quite darker than GG vintage cherry) and it came out brownish red, similar to bonafe etrusco. I'll try something different probably in the future. I'd like more of the red to show through.

Edit: in daylight, it def looks burgundy antique. looks etrusco indoors.

Last edited:

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice idea and to really get a good experiment you should have three pairs so you can also use mahogany for one.

I use mahogany on Cheaney's FS029 mahogany country calf boots.

Oh then you're the perfect person to answer this riddle which has kept many people up all night. Ideally, should buy one more pair and polish it with Mahogany cream to have this debate put to rest,

Which one wins ?

If you think this was bad, you should visit The Official Shoecare Thread. The lives were lost on that thread.

For what it's worth, I tried the mahogany cream with neutral wax on a EG's burgundy antique (already quite darker than GG vintage cherry) and it came out brownish red, similar to bonafe etrusco.  I'll try something different probably in the future. I'd like more of the red to show through. 

Edit: in daylight, it def looks burgundy antique.  looks etrusco indoors.

Edward Green burgundy is unique color. That is why I purchased Hermes Red because that is the closest match to EG burgundy antique. I would use Hermes red or neutral to preserve original burgundy antique color.

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PSA and shout out - AH One Shoes in Springfield, Virginia is selling most of its in-store stock at 10% off. I've purchased shoe care products and a Gaziano and Girling shoe tree from AH One, and indeed have two incoming pairs - RTW Vintage Pine Connaughts, and MTO Wiltshires.

AH One is about a year old, and is actually in my neck of the woods - the Washington, DC area. Aram, the store proprietor and cobbler, enjoys discussing his craft and sharing his knowledge with fellow shoe enthusiasts (even if they do not buy anything), and happily listens to customers' input for helpful shoe care hints, brand knowledge, etc. Aram is a gentlemen who loves and knows foot ware; I've spent many an hour chatting with him and learning more about our shared interest (passion? obsession?) in beautiful, yet functional, foot ware.

To my knowledge, AH One is one of only two stores in/near DC that sells Gaziano & Girling shoes (the other being the newly-opened Paul Stuart store in Gallery Place). If there are other venues that sell G&Gs here, please let me know.

Usual caveat - not affiliated/related with the store or owner, just a happy (and return) customer. Enjoy!

Good info. I'll have to stop in.

Staffer18283

Reaction score

Which one wins ?

Guys - this debate has now taken a turn away from Mahogany / red / neutral. I wrote to G&G to get their recommendation on which Saphir cream to use for vintage cherry.

First of all credit to them to respond to my query so promptly (within a day). I have always considered their shoes to be the benchmark in RTW and their customer service makes me feel good about my choice.

Response was as follows "We recommand using Saphir medaille d'or cream in medium brown or burgundy. A rotation of these two creams allows the color to gain a nice depth with time.".

Only problem is that I ordered the Mahogany and Hermes Red creams already
musicboohoo[1].gif

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys - this debate has now taken a turn away from Mahogany / red / neutral. I wrote to G&G to get their recommendation on which Saphir cream to use for vintage cherry.

First of all credit to them to respond to my query so promptly (within a day). I have always considered their shoes to be the benchmark in RTW and their customer service makes me feel good about my choice.

Response was as follows "We recommand using Saphir medaille d'or cream in medium brown or burgundy. A rotation of these two creams allows the color to gain a nice depth with time.".

musicboohoo%5B1%5D.gif

Hahah you & me but I ended up picking up neutral & mahogany lol

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have all of those Saphir creams suggested, but i will stick to mahogany for now. I'm pleased with the touch of red this med. brown color has...

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

musicboohoo%5B1%5D.gif

Hahah you & me but I ended up picking up neutral & mahogany lol

I have all of those Saphir creams suggested, but i will stick to mahogany for now. I'm pleased with the touch of red this med. brown color has...

in the end i'm sure you can get away with Hermes Red, Mahogany, medium brown, and neutral. You can just alternate shades overtime as you want to modify the color. If you want to keep the shade as close as you can to the original, you can just adjust overtime. I like to keep the general color but to let it shift slightly overtime so it builds more depth so I try to alternate between a slightly lighter shade and then a darker shade with the occasional neutral or very dark color added in once in a while.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads