• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last for the Thorpe almost always seems to be MH71. Anyone have them (or have seen a pair) in DG70 or TG73?

Here is mine on DG70.
Not a fan of TG73 for boots.

EEB426DC-2906-4DEF-B9CF-3993897799A4.jpeg
016FFB72-E2C8-4D65-BA34-FB7DA10FB3BE.jpeg

DC10

Reaction score
Thorpe in tan hatchgrain

View attachment 1900519
I need help with picking my first air of GGs and I have short listed these two,mind you, I usually dress very conservatively and may not be able to carry something that’s too flamboyant
1.https://www.gazianogirling.com/products/st-james-ii-in-vintage-cherry-calf-tg73/
Thorpe in tan hatchgrain

View attachment 1900519
I need some help with my first pair of GGs I shave short listed two, here are the two options, mind you I usually dress very conservatively and I don’t know if I can carry a very flamboyant look
1.https://www.gazianogirling.com/products/st-james-ii-in-vintage-cherry-calf-tg73/
2.https://www.gazianogirling.com/products/copy-of-oxford-in-black-calf-dg70/
Any input will be appreciated
Thorpe in tan hatchgrain

rdaws

Reaction score
Is anybody proxying for the sample sale this week? I'd be interested in deals for 9.0F / non-Deco lasts. I'm not wildly picky, but I do have 8 pairs already so just don't want any duplicates!

GeoffreyB

Reaction score
My opinion is that GG seems less relevant these days. With the price increases and heavy shift to casual their models and lasts are too aggressive for most.
For one that loves and owns G&G, I have to agree with you. Even before the pandemic, it appears society had started to become more casual. Now since the pandemic, it seems to have become even more relaxed than ever in fashion. It is making G&G seem almost out of place.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For one that loves and owns G&G, I have to agree with you. Even before the pandemic, it appears society had started to become more casual. Now since the pandemic, it seems to have become even more relaxed than ever in fashion. It is making G&G seem almost out of place.

I’m in semi agreement with this. My gazianos look lovely on the shelf. But rarely bless my feet these days. I’d say my most worn gazianos is a suede penny loafer & that’s as formal as I go these days.

heelguy

Reaction score
I’m in semi agreement with this. My gazianos look lovely on the shelf. But rarely bless my feet these days. I’d say my most worn gazianos is a suede penny loafer & that’s as formal as I go these days.
I wear my Arrans and Thorpe. The other issue is that they pretty much stopped selling through outside retail outlets.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear my Arrans and Thorpe. The other issue is that they pretty much stopped selling through outside retail outlets.

i think suede arrans would be useful. my arrans are leather. generally, my issue with boots is I don’t like wearing socks because I seem to wear holes in every nice pair of socks I own (Can’t figure out why)

mdjd

Reaction score
I say the St James in Cherry. It's a really outstanding, beautiful shoe. You can get a black oxford from any number of makers and the differences won't be that great. The Cherry St James is a really special makeup, and isn't too flamboyant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads