• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For all you G&G kudu footwear owners - do you wear yours seasonally (i.e. mostly in colder weather)? I'm considering a pair (likely Deco Wilde/Rogers), and am aiming for versatile, casual, year-round use. Thanks in advance!
I don’t see why not I wear my isham year around man.
I feel like kudu is too rughed/hard wearing for a shoe, even more than shell. I just have boots in kudu and I wear them just in winter as here is always hot. I prefer the Isham in vintage rioja or black hatch, but would not mind to have them in kudu too.🙃

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ttown, I was hoping you'd chime in! More fit pics please (Gaziano & Girling and Ring Jacket included)!
I feel like kudu is too rughed/hard wearing for a shoe, even more than shell. I just have boots in kudu and I wear them just in winter as here is always hot. I prefer the Isham in vintage rioja or black hatch, but would not mind to have them in kudu too.🙃
May be I am odd ball, but kudu is soft as butter. And molds to my feet, isham is in double leather sole. I am not very big fan of shell but I do own few full shell boot from vass & carmina & Enzo. I find them big pain in ass. Going up & down the stairs case at work is pain at least for me. No issue with kudu. Can’t speak for current kudu that’s in market. But this is pea body kudu, from back in good old days. When skoak & GG originally started kudu train. Got them in rosewood, oak & cedar kudu. Looks like GG also got some new rubber gum lite sole. Pair with them or wensum sole you got yourself a rombust casual shoes or boot. I mostly wear my isham with jeans, tweed, chinos & flannel.
0073DA72-7B5E-4029-878C-C35E1A5FB3C8.jpeg

Dalaruan

Reaction score
@Dalaruan

Please see attached - maybe some help/inspiration?! Not sure if you can either mentally or digitally meld the two together somehow? 😋

If you want a G&G shoe for shorts, then I'd speak to them about their fresco range. The can be made either cemented, or welted, but generally unlined and much lighter. Some are available RTW I think, but there are loads of options/variations available through MTO.

I think (could be wrong) that the lighter/cemented versions are typically produced on their specific SL last; whereas the welted versions are typically produced on the standard KN last. I'm sure they'd do most on whatever last you want though....

And perhaps as a further alternative away from G&G, do have a look at Baudoin and Lange.

In case you dont know them.....these are generally cemented but extremely comfortable and versatile. They have a few blake stitched models ("Grand") but all work very well with shorts/hawaiian/camp collar shirts, etc.

I've got a few and can highly recommend them.

Haha I actually have a few pairs of B&Ls and i love them, but just thinking if GG could do the job as well!
The fresco range doesn't really sing to me, maybe the amalfi? But for now I'd opt for more iconic GG models.
decisions decisions...

I have two pairs of Saviles (out of the 8 or so shoes in my regular rotation). One in DG70, the other in square deco. Love them.
These look great! Thanks for posting them

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone post a photo of the Oxford (or any oxford shoe) in the MH71 last?
Also, I wear a US size 9D in the Allen Edmonds 65 (aka "5") last. Would that typically translate to a UK 8E for the MH71?

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May be I am odd ball, but kudu is soft as butter. And molds to my feet, isham is in double leather sole. I am not very big fan of shell but I do own few full shell boot from vass & carmina & Enzo. I find them big pain in ass. Going up & down the stairs case at work is pain at least for me. No issue with kudu. Can’t speak for current kudu that’s in market. But this is pea body kudu, from back in good old days. When skoak & GG originally started kudu train. Got them in rosewood, oak & cedar kudu. Looks like GG also got some new rubber gum lite sole. Pair with them or wensum sole you got yourself a rombust casual shoes or boot. I mostly wear my isham with jeans, tweed, chinos & flannel.
View attachment 1813539

Gentlemen, thank you for the kudu input (and thanks for the snaps, Ttown!). Seems like I have more thinking to do...

papado

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone post a photo of the Oxford (or any oxford shoe) in the MH71 last?
Also, I wear a US size 9D in the Allen Edmonds 65 (aka "5") last. Would that typically translate to a UK 8E for the MH71?

You'd probably be a UK8.5E for the MH71 based on AE US 9D sizing.

Not sure what angles you want but I'll shamelessly repost my MTOs from last Feb (StJamesII on MH71)
IMG-2197.jpg IMG-2188.jpg

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'd probably be a UK8.5E for the MH71 based on AE US 9D sizing.

Not sure what angles you want but I'll shamelessly repost my MTOs from last Feb (StJamesII on MH71)
View attachment 1813779 View attachment 1813780

Thanks, very helpful! And beuties! If you can post an overhead shot and a straight forward shot that would be amazing!

Re the sizing, I'm a little concerned to go UK8.5 because lengthwise my feet are really a US8.5. It's the ball measurement that is a 9. So I'm concerned the overall length of 8.5UK would be too long.

ant922599

Reaction score
Went a bit overboard and order 2 pairs of boots during the MTO sale:

Burnham in vintage cedar, square deco, Wensum sole.

Lamport boots with medallion in extreme criollo and the shaft in dark brown english grain. DG70, wensum sole.

These are my first G&G boots, going to be a long wait.
Oh nice one - they sound great - looking forward to pics (but I agree, it might be a while!).

I'm intrigued about the brown english grain as I've just ordered a shoe in that. I was really hoping for pig skin (I want a bit of texture) but there is no quality skin available.

I think* I prefer the english grain to hatch or Highland, but there aren't loads of pictures online in this leather.

I've actually got boots in chestnut english grain, but they are obviously a lot lighter.

VegetaCT

Reaction score
Hi, has anyone ever seen Burnham in KN14 last? I know it is odd. I just feel TG73 is too square and Deco last is too pointy for me. I see KN14 last is available to be picked for Burnham in the online MTO program. Wondering what it looks like.

ant922599

Reaction score
Hi, has anyone ever seen Burnham in KN14 last? I know it is odd. I just feel TG73 is too square and Deco last is too pointy for me. I see KN14 last is available to be picked for Burnham in the online MTO program. Wondering what it looks like.
Interesting one - you'll need to check with them, but I think the KN is the specific loafer version of another last, poss TG73.

I could be wrong on this, but it rings a bell from a convo I had with them a while ago...

VegetaCT

Reaction score
Interesting one - you'll need to check with them, but I think the KN is the specific loafer version of another last, poss TG73.

I could be wrong on this, but it rings a bell from a convo I had with them a while ago...
I put my KN14 loafer and another TG73 Burnham side by side and can clearly tell that KN14 is a bit narrower and softer than TG73.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads