• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Are you suggesting these two creases are made by each pen(cil) held parallel to each other across the vamp?

Yes.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Sadly, not G & Gs, but here is a pair of boots I used this technique on. Great hint thanks, DWF.

As you can see the creasing shows good symmetry between the two boots.

Done with two Bic pens pressed into the vamp just behind the toe cap.

If you're doing it by yourself, put one shoe on, kneel down keeping the shod foot flat on the ground, press the pens into the vamp in the desired pattern, and raise your heel a few times. Repeat for the other shoe. Done.

Very little force or repetitions required. The first creases you put in the shoe will set the pattern. As the creases set so easily, I expect this would only work well with new out of the box shoes. If the shoe has been worn at all, I suspect it is too late.

Good set of instructions--that's exactly the procedure I use for customers picking up bespoke boots or shoes, except I'm the one holding the pens.

And yes, you're right...once worn, too late.

--

Last edited:

Macs

Reaction score
And yes, you're right...once worn, too late.

I (and for what I know, a lot of other people) usually try the shoes in the shop and walk around a bit to evaluate the fit, is my little wandering plus the wandering of eventual previous clients going to vanish the chance to force the creases where I want them?

Even when I collect shoes made for me I usually try them on and walk a bit in the manufacturer test room to check them on, is this going to vanish the pencil creasing as well?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I (and for what I know, a lot of other people) usually try the shoes in the shop and walk around a bit to evaluate the fit, is my little wandering plus the wandering of eventual previous clients going to vanish the chance to force the creases where I want them?

Even when I collect shoes made for me I usually try them on and walk a bit in the manufacturer test room to check them on, is this going to vanish the pencil creasing as well?

It certainly won't help. I would have to say that, if the shoes have been tried on and walked, using the pen technique is probably mostly ineffective.

That's just one of the downsides of RTW...

But bespoke or MTO shoes can always benefit from this creasing technique, right from the outset--the maker made these shoes for you, no one else is going to wear them.

People should understand that this procedure is a way to make the look of the shoe better, it is not a technique that necessarily makes the shoe itself better.

It's not critical, IOW.

--

Last edited:

Macs

Reaction score
It certainly won't help. I would have to say that, if the shoes have been tried on and walked, using the pen technique is probably mostly ineffective.

That's just one of the downsides of RTW...

But bespoke or MTO shoes can always benefit from this creasing technique, right from the outset...the maker made these shoes for you, no one else is going to wear them.

People should understand that this procedure is a way to make the look of the shoe better, it is not a technique that necessarily makes the shoe itself better.

It's not critical, IOW.
Thanks!

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying to convince myself that a vintage rioja Canterbury is redundant to my vintage rioja Wigmore. :decisions:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if the G&G at leatherfoot come with shoe trees?

And any success asking them to ship with Canada post vs. DHL

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if the G&G at leatherfoot come with shoe trees?

Not when I bought a pair from them a couple of months ago. Mind you, the shoes were on sale, but I don't think that was the reason.

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not when I bought a pair from them a couple of months ago. Mind you, the shoes were on sale, but I don't think that was the reason.

Thanks, not sure why they don't mention anywhere but include trees in photos

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really G&G related but I'm trying to see if anyone is interested in ordering a pair of dark oak Shannons VIII via Skoak. If so, feel free to contact me or check out the Skoak webpage. Thanks! Here's something G&G related:
11986889335_23322de949.jpg

KenRose

Reaction score
Hi all, Currently have 6 pairs of Gaziano and Girling (Windsor, Gable, Biarritz, St. Tropiz, Westbury, Savoy). I'm thinking of selling the Windsor and Savoy's as the last just doesn't work for me and because of that I've only worn them a couple times each. Was planning on replacing them with the Nice and Mayfield because they are the same colors and the last work well for my foot. My question to you all is that I'm also looking at the Rothschild in vintage cedar. I'm hesitant because they are the same color as my Westbury and Biarritz. Should I be concerned about having 3 of my G&G's in the same color or are the Rothschild versatile/different enough that it could be considered as a shoe that I would get good use out of? I appreciate your thoughts.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Civil_style