• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me the Wensum or a double leather please. Could the sole be chosen seperately?

For a quality shoe like this, the double leather would be first choice. The Dainite gives it a cheap feel IMHO

Or the half double up front....man, that would be the dog's bollocks!!

Last edited:

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score

For me the Wensum or a double leather please. Could the sole be chosen seperately?

For a quality shoe like this, the double leather would be first choice. The Dainite gives it a cheap feel IMHO

I am open to either double/dainite as I care mostly about how thick the sole would be. Wensum will be thinner. I don't have any experience with Wensum as you do with your barclay, just wondering how does that feel less cheap?

Thanks.

Last edited:

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somehow those fake studs and the fact that the Dainite is avaliable on many shoes versus the Wensum that is only avaliable on the G&G makes we lean heavily away from Dainite. Double up front with the curved back part for me please!

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
DDD I'm out on isham on MH71, thanks for thinking of me.

I'll likely go MTO if I decide on a second kudu makeup

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score

Somehow those fake studs and the fact that the Dainite is avaliable on many shoes versus the Wensum that is only avaliable on the G&G makes we lean heavily away from Dainite. Double up front with the curved back part for me please!

Thanks for sharing your impression on Wensum. So now you want a HAF? A viable option as well.

Last edited:

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMO saying dainite makes it feel cheap is ridiculous. It might not be your preference but it does not have that effect

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score

Bumble_Bee how is the G&G wensum for boot or shoes? Sleek enough & good enough to handle bad weather. Look like you own one your or any one else experience would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, I don't have one. Daizawa guy I believed posted some pictures of his barclay with wensum. He would know about it. I also think back a few years, someone here posted a few pictures of Isham in Wensum.

In general, wensum keeps it sleek as it's not really much thicker than single sole. Although Daizawa thinks Dainite looks cheap, I am not sure wensum makes it "less cheap" at least on picture. I just think Dainite makes it less comfortable with a stiffer material.

Last edited:

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some photos. The ultimate all weather sole, and incredible durability - way above the Dainite IMHO. I cant tell you how great the material is. I`m a greta fan of the wensum.

The bottom photo was taken about the time I had worn through the heel and it had to be replaced. Absolutely no signs of wear on the sole!

Last edited:

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful work.

Do you think they are less slippery than Dainite soles?. Thanks in advance.

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I`s say they are the same, or maybe less slippery - the rubber has those ribs and is a harder but quite flexible compound. I found previous dainites to wear quite quickly once you are past the studs, whereas the Wensum is indestructible - a bit like RMW rubber sole

Last edited:

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But, my first choice would be a double leather in front only....any followers? That would make it a classy shoe, and give it great balance

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics