• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G & G Finishing Imperfections: Acceptable?

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
All to be expected in my experience. I had about a dozen pair of MTO and have given more than half away. The soles split and need regular trimming, something I have never had on any other shoes. The edges have blade marks. The sides of my boots were cut sloppily so there are ripples. They use shoe laces on boots. And on and on with small issues I never had with EG for the same money

Sounds like sour grapes to me

celeste_pista

Reaction score
edge dressing issue is nothing but sloppiness and would really piss me off on a pair mto. seems to be some bulging of teh leather as well that would fall under the acceptable, but dissapointing category. same for the beveled waist imconsistencies. imperfections, or shotty craftsmanship, is no way to show off tshe virtues of exquisite, hand made shoes.

unfortunatley this is one of those grey areas where there is nothing horrible, and op should not be a ***** complaining, but at the same time you splurged on a pair of shoes that should blow you away and you are understandably underwhelmed with this pair. explain that on the phone and see what G&G says/does...re-order accordingly.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cdmoore1855
Sounds like sour grapes to me

What ? Sour grapes is when you can't attain something and reconcile yourself. Not when you get something and are disappointed, as Will is

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty ironic, because that sounded like sour grapes to me.
laugh.gif

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think if you paid 1k for shoes and did not get them in perfect condition they should be going back, in addition, there are some mto pairs of c&j that come up on the 1k price and those shouldnt come with any imperfections either, alden is a whole other mess that has issues on and off, but all this doesnt justify you not getting what you paid for

bck

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Man
Patina (pronounce PAT in a) is a noun not a verb and only idiots apply it to shoes.

It's the look that new brass acquires with age or that green colour that the Statue of Liberty which is copper gets with age etc etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:St..._Liberty_7.jpg

I pronounce it PAH-tea-nah, as the word itself has Latin origins. And no, the word is not exclusive to oxidized copper and bronze.

jamestct

Reaction score
All to be expected in my experience. I had about a dozen pair of MTO and have given more than half away. The soles split and need regular trimming, something I have never had on any other shoes. The edges have blade marks. The sides of my boots were cut sloppily so there are ripples. They use shoe laces on boots. And on and on with small issues I never had with EG for the same money

eh.gif
The soles split?? Can you show pics of this? And what exactly are you trimming?

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Well, TBH that's what you get when you buy pre-antiqued shoes instead of patinating your shoes with time/wear.
Patina (pronounce PAT in a) is a noun not a verb
"Patina" is a noun, but "patinate", the word that the OP used, is a verb. Look here: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/patinate
and only idiots apply it to shoes. It's the look that new brass acquires with age or that green colour that the Statue of Liberty which is copper gets with age etc etc http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:St..._Liberty_7.jpg
From merriamwebster.com: pa·ti·na noun \\pə-ˈtē-nə, ˈpa-tə-nə\\ plural pa·ti·nas or pa·ti·nae Definition of PATINA 1a: a usually green film formed naturally on copper and bronze by long exposure or artificially (as by acids) and often valued aesthetically for its color b: a surface appearance of something grown beautiful especially with age or use 2: an appearance or aura that is derived from association, habit, or established character 3: a superficial covering or exterior

quar

Reaction score

My friend had a sole split on a G&G pair. He sent them back, and they were fixed free of charge.

Xenon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by celeste_pista
edge dressing issue is nothing but sloppiness and would really piss me off on a pair mto. seems to be some bulging of teh leather as well that would fall under the acceptable, but dissapointing category. same for the beveled waist imconsistencies. imperfections, or shotty craftsmanship, is no way to show off tshe virtues of exquisite, hand made shoes.

When I first responded earlier I attributed what I saw to edge dressing or polish only and something I could fix in a few minutes myself prefectly. I personally consider antiquing on shoes to be simplistic and nothing to get concerned over. However a defect in the leather, bulging, cuts, scrapes or depressions are not acceptable and cannot be fixed to perfection by anyone. This sort of imperfection would probably classify a Lobb as a second.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
After I had pulled the laces from my shoes intending to give them a good polish, I noticed these additional light spots on the vamps.

EUKr0.jpg

efCBI.jpg

Of course, they are not quite so obvious without bright light. I emailed Nick at Bespoke England today. Nick emailed back immediately that the defects were unacceptable and that I should return the shoes to him at his expense. So kudos to Nick for customer service. We'll see how G&G does.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink
After I had pulled the laces from my shoes intending to give them a good polish, I noticed these additional light spots on the vamps.
EUKr0.jpg
efCBI.jpg
Of course, they are not quite so obvious without bright light. I emailed Nick at Bespoke England today. Nick emailed back immediately that the defects were unacceptable and that I should return the shoes to him at his expense. So kudos to Nick for customer service. We'll see how G&G does.

You are making me feel happy that I ordered my G&Gs through Nick. Sounds like great customer service.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T4phage
if that is just edge dressing
as lance says
then no biggie rly

exactly

Originally Posted by T4phage
but if it is a cut
maybe while grinding the heel down
then not so good

correct

countbaron

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink

EUKr0.jpg

efCBI.jpg

good to see someone following my advice of keeping shoes in a fridge

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 101 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads