• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FRIDAY CHALLENGE 9/27/13: BROWN IS FOR FARMER

Who did "Brown is For Farmer" Best?

• Don Cologne

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • Sugarbutch

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Betelgeuse

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • GMMcL

• Pingson

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • YRR92

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Holdfast

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Porcelain Monkey

• Victor Elfo

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • An Acute Style

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Kulata

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Son of Porcelain Monkey, The Revenge

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Coxaca

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • TTO

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • Claghorn

Votes: 48 60.0%
  • Sharply Tailored

• Tira1

• EFV

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Upr_Crust

Votes: 15 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yep. I did a quick and dirty levels adjustment in the P'shop, but yours looks better. Assuming Señor Crust's approval, that version should be used for the challenge.

Photoshop is too complicated (and expensive) for me; I use Photoscape (it's free). It has a fairly good auto level & auto contrast ability (I tend to use it on my own photos, and then jack up the gamma as needed to compensate for my routinely terrible/dark lighting), but I did need to use the remove colour cast tool on crusty's pic. I have no photo-editing skills though, so I'm sure someone else could do much better if they feel motivated.

Last edited:

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I disagree! You always have good photos.

Quote:

Well, you just guaranteed my vote, as millions would disagree...
laugh.gif

Thanks though. They do the job, but I wouldn't call them good photos; they're done with a cheap point & shoot on its automatic setting, and the post-edit is all of 10s work correcting the worst of the problems only, and largely through auto-functions and just increasing gamma. Comparing them to the photos some guys here take, with real depth of field, accurate colours and pretty close-ups, shows up just how amateur mine are. That doesn't bother me, mind you; I don't consider myself a photographer or even consider photography or photoediting a hobby (it doesn't really interest me). I just like to have snaps that vaguely show what I'm wearing, and my photo level just about matches that... on most days!

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, you just guaranteed my vote

My work here is done!
lol8[1].gif

Yeah, as some have mentioned, photography is an element most people take into consideration for these challenges, and everything else on SF. But as for me, I don't consider my photos very good either. They just get by. My trousers, in this challenge, are navy for instance. Although they look almost charcoal in some of the photos.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My posting today made for quite an exercise in photo-editing. For the record, true color for the full-length shot is between my own photo, and Caustic's - not as yellow as mine, not quite as cool and pale as Caustic's. For true color, my close-up shot is the most accurate (see WAYWRN posting) - the main light sources are LED bulbs.

The yellow bias is due to the use of fluorescent bulbs in the floor lamp which lights all of the shots with the Oriental carpet in them. LED bulbs provide much better light (true white), but will not work in the floor lamp in question (the lamp is some 40-50 years old), and I've not seen a comparable lamp with as many sockets (there are five). If I buy a new lamp, rest assured that it will be lit with LED lights.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here goes nothing.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

jrd, why aren't you doing the grunt work?

Because TTO messaged me yesterday at a busy time to create the thread, but also messaged GMMcl, who took it upon himself to make the thread before I could do so myself. Kinda short notice

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Some really nice fits posted already. I'm also ready to toil in the harvest fields...

Tie is actually navy cashmere, and the square is a reddish/brownish/with-other-earthy-colours madder; apologies for the dark photos.

This is borderline tan too.

moddey

Reaction score

My posting today made for quite an exercise in photo-editing. For the record, true color for the full-length shot is between my own photo, and Caustic's - not as yellow as mine, not quite as cool and pale as Caustic's. For true color, my close-up shot is the most accurate (see WAYWRN posting) - the main light sources are LED bulbs.

The yellow bias is due to the use of fluorescent bulbs in the floor lamp which lights all of the shots with the Oriental carpet in them. LED bulbs provide much better light (true white), but will not work in the floor lamp in question (the lamp is some 40-50 years old), and I've not seen a comparable lamp with as many sockets (there are five). If I buy a new lamp, rest assured that it will be lit with LED lights.

another "styleforum Classic Menswear has jumped the shark" moment

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads