• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FRIDAY CHALLENGE 24 OCTOBER 2014 ROCK YOUR BLOCK

Who rocked their colour blocks the best?

• Gerry Nelson

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • GMMcL

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Betelgeuse

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • nabilmust

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • chocsosa

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Anden

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • Cleav

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • Coxsackie

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Shen

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Thin White Duke

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quite the diametric opposite of last week's challenge - this week, you must avoid patterns. Avoid, with extreme prejudice.

For the purposes of this challenge, the term "pattern" refers to any repeating feature of a fabric which is determined by the regular addition of a second (or more) coloured thread. "Texture" is not in itself a pattern. Hence (for example), Donegal tweed is acceptable.

Patterns created through a weave, i.e. jacquard and similar weaves, will in most cases be tolerated, as long as the resulting repetition is of small scale which resolves at a distance of say 1 metre. Hence, a fina or perhaps even a grossa grenadine weave tie will be accepted, whereas a Sozzi grenadine may well be disallowed. Shoes may feature broguing and/or medallions, but plainer styles are favoured.

Gentlemen, the aim here is to see how well you can block your solid colours and textures to create outfits of outstanding sartorial elegance and refinement. This is CM, so you must include a jacket and a tie. Pocket squares (solid - edging allowed) and hats are welcome. Fits must have been worn this week. Entries close this Saturday 11.59pm GMT and voting will close on Monday 26th also at 11.59pm GMT.

A new feature we are introducing for this Challenge is the consolation prize. Overall winner will as usual be decided by poll. However this week, previous Challenge winners Cleav and myself will also be awarding one consolation prize each to our own personal favourite non-winning entry. So make sure to visit this thread one last time after the winner is announced!

Some ideas for inspiration:

...and the entries:

X post from WAYWRN.

Trying to capture the texture mix, but failing

This can play? Tie is chocolate grenadine.

Cox, will you allow this? If it's a yay, I'll post the full length shots.

Slipped my mind that it was a no-patterns FC.

Just stumbled on this challenge.. posted this in the waywrn thread and its perfect for this challenge.. solid navy suit, solid white shirt, solid charcoal tie.. almost solid white square (with a black border)... Its hard to get simpler than this..

I give you loads of flannel and half a smile. Have a great weekend!

Monochrome, save the great colours around me...

OK here we go.

So, does this jacket fulfil my own criteria for the comp? I humbly submit that it does, as while there is texture, there is no discernible repeating pattern. And, as seen in the full-length shot, it resolves to a light grey colour block.

Besides, it's awesome with the Panama hat.

Awful lighting.

Sorry no time for a full shot -

35bvb7b.jpg

bf2iaa.jpg

2yl33oj.jpg

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the money Gezza - nice to see you getting the comp off to a strong start!

Conrad Wu tie?

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Today's outfit would have worked here. But I posted it a couple of weeks ago, so perhaps I'll try something new.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great idea with a lot of potential! Provided, however, that we don't just get everyone submitting navy or grey suits, especially since we aren't really likely to get much better than what Gerry's already posted on the navy blue suit front - talk about getting in there first! I'm hoping that we might get some more creative (but of course, tasteful) interpretations... and trying to think of something along those lines myself but also something, like EFV, that I haven't posted before here. Tricky. Very tricky.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I may have to sit this one out. Traveling, and I brought only a couple of tweed jackets. Maybe the herringbone will work...

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gerry Nelson, that's some solid(!) stuff. Great shoes too.

Nice challenge. Didn't @Kaplan have a thread about this?

Are you thinking of this one?

@edmorel started that one, but sadly quickly left it. I did try to keep it alive for a while, but it never really took off.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This should produce some quality fits.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance