• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Free royalty-free music for company video blog?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My company is wanting to do a series of informational youtube videos and we need generic background muzak, anybody know where I can find such a thing?

Would I legally be able to use Podsafe music? The videos are not commercial, in a sense they are informational about the product and destination (travel industry) than about our company.

Thanks

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is "information about the product" not a commercial use?

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz

Haha, yeah, if you work for a for-profit company and they are official company videos they are clearly commercial use

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is a commercial use, but there are a number of low cost options. Do a search for royalty free music and you should be able to find something that you can license for a few hundred bucks.

lefty

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
Well, for instance, if BestBuy were discussing the pros, cons and merits of different LCD TV's (like what CNET does), Samsung, Sony, Toshiba, etc. Or if the had a video about Plasma vs LCD technology. Is it still considered commercial? They are not promoting themselves, just providing information to consumers on products they just happen to sell.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cnet is a news outlet, not a retailer. Yes, Best Buy running ads comparing different models they sell is commercial use - the **** do you think a commercial is?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just steal some from some people on youtube. Who is going to watch this video? No one cares.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you all, despite the snark.

BernieStevens

Reaction score
What you are proposing is commercial. And the artists of the music you'd like you to use should be paid.

That said, there are a ton of folks who would like to just get their music "out there" so other people will see and hear it. Google "creative commons". You'll find music and artists there. It's the license contracting most web content producers are using for material.

Avocat

Reaction score
Sonick, with all due respect, your question is a thorny one; crossing jurisdictional boundaries by taking music online subjects you to a multitude of laws on the matter. Honestly, seek out legal advice. For general informational purposes only (and in no way rendering legal or any advice), many online are operating under the mistaken belief that there is a non-commercial use exception which allows them to upload/download works, but which belief is untrue: basically, there's no such thing in the US as non-commercial use rights. Also, in the case of a sound recording, different copyrights attach, namely, one in the musical composition itself (notes and lyrics), and one in the record (its artistic rendering as captured in the recording of that song). In other words, when using a recording, there are two separate but equally important copyrights involved. Simply put, using a copyrighted work without its owner's express permission-or a license-is copyright infringement unless found to be a Fair Use under the US Const., but Fair Use generally speaking doesn't recognize commercial use (i.e., wherever doubt, get a license). Canada's "fair use" doctrine (known as "fair dealing") is really thin by comparison to the US doctrine, there being fewer albeit much clearer exceptions. Also, unlike the US, Canada (and the EU) recognize what's known as droit moral (Moral Rights), and which are in addition to the already noted copyrights in the work. Basically, moral rights belong to the owner of the work, protecting the integrity of the work as the owner sees fit (i.e., another bundle of thorny issues). Copyright durations vary from nation to nation, but last a very long time (note: in many places, it's for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years, depending once again on the nation involved). Also, just b/c something may be royalty-free in one nation (ie., expired copyright so as to fall into the public domain, under Fair Use, a limited license to use, etc.) doesn't mean its not protected some place else. Again, very thorny issues, for which you really should seek proper legal advice. I see you're in Canada? Excellent. If you don't have legal representation already, might want to google and contact the IP/E-Commerce Law Center at Osgoode Hall Law School (they've exceptional resources available to you and everyone online). They've also a clinic, but better for you to give UBC's law clinic a shout. I don't know the extent of UBC's assistance, but they should be able to direct you to a licensed member in BC at the very least. (I don't specifically know anyone in BC that I could refer you to, sorry; but Osgoode and UBC are a good start, and should be able to assist and/or better direct you). Also, check this link out: http://www.socan.ca/jsp/en/pub/contact/index.jsp It's to SOCAN, who ultimately handles clearances and royalties in Canada (clearing for digital use isn't all that simple, but there are always options and alternatives no matter what, and SOCAN can/does assist). I always recommend people seek proper advice before doing anything though, and trust UBC can direct you in that regard, as I assume by posting here you haven't got a lawyer already (and if you do, make an appointment). Seriously, learn how to do it right and consider your options, including the commons idea above etc. which is a good idea, I agree. There are a lot of musicians out there looking to earn a living who own their material 100% and are likely to be very happy to hear from you, but remember, don't sign anything until you get proper advice (seriously, it's worth it). Best of luck with your project. tl/DR: Osgoode Hall has immense resources on line available, and SOCAN clears music in Canada, but digital rights (online use of music) is very complex, involving many issues, and for which you should seek legal advice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads