• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fragrance Top 10

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's my list. The ones with a * are scents that I currently own. I'm in my early 40s and have fairly conventional tastes. I've organized by season and situation.

Tom Ford Italian Cypress* (work)
Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire (spring casual)
Le Labo Bergamote 22 (summer casual)
Bvlgari Black (fall casual)
Tom Ford Plum Japonais* (winter casual)
Chanel Egoiste* (romantic/special event)

I would be perfectly happy with that rotation. If pressed to add four additional scents, I would probably choose the following:

Creed Green Irish Tweed (work)
Diptyque Philosykos (spring/summer casual)
Creed Spice & Wood (fall/winter casual)
Amouage Jubilation XXV (romantic/special event)

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Here's my list. The ones with a * are scents that I currently own. I'm in my early 40s and have fairly conventional tastes. I've organized by season and situation.

Tom Ford Italian Cypress* (work)
Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire (spring casual)
Le Labo Bergamote 22 (summer casual)
Bvlgari Black (fall casual)
Tom Ford Plum Japonais* (winter casual)
Chanel Egoiste* (romantic/special event)

I would be perfectly happy with that rotation. If pressed to add four additional scents, I would probably choose the following:

Creed Green Irish Tweed (work)
Diptyque Philosykos (spring/summer casual)
Creed Spice & Wood (fall/winter casual)
Amouage Jubilation XXV (romantic/special event)

That's a solid list. Very solid, and primarily made up of modern classics. The Green Irish Tweed is a classic classic, as is the Egoiste.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll post a new Top Ten, which will be very different from my last one. These aren't in any particular order:

Bois des Iles by Chanel
Coromandel by Chanel
Lyric Man by Amouage
Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle
Une Fleur de Cassie by Frederic Malle
Rose Nacrée du Desert by Guerlain
The Afternoon of a Faun by Etat Libre d'Orange
Like This by Etat Libre d'Orange
Arabian Wood by Tom Ford
Stilettos on Lex by Jul et Mad

I'm sure I'm forgetting something obvious, and there are some fragrances that I'd probably have included if I'd made this list last week or next week. But I think it's a pretty reasonable representation of my top ten.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bump to see what we think these days... I stand by my original list, though several are now out of print.

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd probably put Bruno Fazzolari's Lampblack as well as Chanel Bois des Iles somewhere in my top ten.

Makin

Reaction score
Hello!

What would you scent-gurus recommend similar to Chanel Allure Édition Blanche or D&G Light Blue. These are my favorite scents. On basenotes someone recommended me Frapin L'humaniste - it was also epic for me. What else can you recommend for a lemony fresh scent lover?
Aqua Di Gio was very good - but I was using it too long.

What didn't work for me - Davidoff Cool Water, Terre d'Hermes.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have scaled back my fragrance collection, but I'll add my list:

Anytime:
Creed Aventus

Spring/ Summer:
Creed Original Vetiver
Looking for another summer scent... (thoughts based on the other scents I wear?)

Fall Winter:
Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
Creed Royal Oud (Evening/ Formal mostly)

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hello!

What would you scent-gurus recommend similar to [COLOR=660099]Chanel Allure Édition Blanche[/COLOR] or D&G Light Blue. These are my favorite scents. On basenotes someone recommended me Frapin L'humaniste - it was also epic for me. What else can you recommend for a lemony fresh scent lover?
Aqua Di Gio was very good - but I was using it too long.

What didn't work for me - Davidoff Cool Water, Terre d'Hermes.

@Makin
Have you tried Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal? If you love lemon, then you will certainly enjoy this one. The lemon isn't as creamy as the one in Edition Blanche. And instead of vetiver you get cypress.

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Bump to see what we think these days... I stand by my original list, though several are now out of print.

I'd want to add Venetian Bergamot by Tom Ford and True Lust Rayon Violet de Ses Yeux by ELDO. Probably Arabian Wood would be out of my top ten, even though I still like it very much.

EDIT: Shoot, I probably want to add Rubj edp too.

Last edited:

Makin

Reaction score
@Makin
Have you tried Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal? If you love lemon, then you will certainly enjoy this one. The lemon isn't as creamy as the one in Edition Blanche. And instead of vetiver you get cypress.
Thank you! Isn't it too feminine? (as far as I can tell looking at the bottle) Or should I get the Cologne version?

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They actually have two different bottles for that scent, one more feminine looking and the other more masculine looking. But the fragrance itself is exactly the same. And no, it's definitely not too feminine. (The cypress really helps there.) I would suggest the eau de toilette formulation. But maybe @HORNS has a different opinion.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was under the impression that the two fragrances are identical except that they just come in different bottles. Eau d'Hadrien is absolutely not just for females - it's perfectly unisex.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interesting additions over the years.
Guerlain - Vetiver
Penhaligon's - Sartorial
Tauer - L'air Du Desert Marocain
Roja Dove - Enigma pour Homme
Roja Dove - Fetish pour Homme
Sultan Pasha - Cites de Ange
Amouage - Journey Man
Lorenzo Villoresi - Uomo
Maison Francis Kurkdjian - Pour le Soir

That's a nice list. Especially the Villoresi... there are several from his line I'd add, from Sandalo to Piper Nigrum.

I'm always curious, from these lovely niche lists, how many users have sampled the old classics in their best form... the Shalimar extraits, the Vol de Nuits, Cuir de Russie Parfum, etc. They take some legwork (basically going to a Chanel flagship or Guerlain store)... but most are still detectable even in reformulated form.

I stand by my well-worn thesis that nothing much under the sun has been invented that could really outmatch the old classics (Except in retail price). There is no oriental better than Shalimar, no citrus better than Diorella. No leather that can match CdR. And find something to compete with Bois des Iles. And is there a rose that could match the original Patou Joy? Though Rose Poivree takes it in an interesting direction.

I would probably have to add something from Comme des Garcons on my list, just because as a fashion house they continue to push the envelope.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics