• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formalwear Appreciation

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking good Gumercindo. Way to represent - you are one well-dressed Cubiche!

BTW, I have your avatar tattooed on my right shoulder
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking sharp-but DAMN! What was with your eyes in the first shot? Did it piss off your date when you started to turn into a werewolf in your nice tux? Or are you just a garden-variety Satan worshiper?
tounge.gif

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
Looking good Gumercindo. Way to represent - you are one well-dressed Cubiche!

BTW, I have your avatar tattooed on my right shoulder
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

alabao, que vola!! thanks, bro.

Originally Posted by MrDaniels
Looking sharp-but DAMN! What was with your eyes in the first shot? Did it piss off your date when you started to turn into a werewolf in your nice tux? Or are you just a garden-variety Satan worshiper?
tounge.gif

Yeah, I had the laser beam eyes going on.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
G--
I really liked all of your high quality choices for your formalwear. Excellent across the board. I'm certain all of these will serve you for many years.

RLPL Tuxedo (1B, Peak Lapel) - at a great price at a PRL outlet
PS Grosgrain bowtie
RLPL Grosgrain Cummerbund
CT studs
Bulgari cufflinks
AE Spencers
Albert Thurston braces

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Those RLPL tuxes are fabulous; and esp. at that price!!

And you wear it well.

Thanks, they are indeed! After you had yours on for sale a while back, I thought I'd never have a chance at another well-priced RLPL tux again. Lucked out.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got a chance to break out the formal wear at a friend's wedding this past weekend. The couple is Orthodox, which meant a dress with shoulders for the girlfriend. The tux and vest are RLPL. Studs, cufflinks, and bowtie are Paul Stuart. Shirt is Golden Fleece with turndown collar and small pleats. Pocket square is there, just hidden in the pic.

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
From our recent cruise:

Formalcruise1.jpg

This is the exact look I will be sporting at me wedding -- SB, peak lapel, white waistcoat with black bow tie, and patent opera pumps. Looks super sharp!!!

bartil

Reaction score
What's the rules on a 3-pieced tuxedo? Single vent, sidevents, no vent at all? If single-breasted, how many buttons? How should the lapels be? Wich fabric and weight is most recommendable for all-year-use? Is it OK to wear a wing-collared shirt with a 3-pieced tuxedo?

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gumercindo
Here's me and my better half at last weekend's Philly flower show. RLPL Tuxedo (1B, Peak Lapel) - at a great price at a PRL outlet PS Grosgrain bowtie RLPL Grosgrain Cummerbund CT studs Bulgari cufflinks AE Spencers Albert Thurston braces Anyway, thanks to all who helped me out! The only thing I forgot was the white silk pocket square from KWang, but I left it at home.
blush.gif

Originally Posted by zbromer
Finally got a chance to break out the formal wear at a friend's wedding this past weekend. The couple is Orthodox, which meant a dress with shoulders for the girlfriend. The tux and vest are RLPL. Studs, cufflinks, and bowtie are Paul Stuart. Shirt is Golden Fleece with turndown collar and small pleats. Pocket square is there, just hidden in the pic.
I've been thinking about that Grosgrain Paul Stuart self bow tie. Looks pretty good. I think I'm sold. gumercindo, I have the same RLPL cummerbund, scored like you at a PRL factory store for $25 (from $225 retail). I had some thoughts about the Paul Stuart grosgrain not quite matching, but it looks good from your pics. Besides, I doubt it's anything any sane person would notice. The price ($60) is certainly a lot more attractive than $125 for the matching RLPL version.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sartort, consider a robert talbott made to measure bowtie (faille goes really well with my grosgrain silk tux lapels). about the same price as a paul stuart tie, but no buckles/ adjusters.

I originally emailed them about this, and was contacted in a day or two about it:

[email protected]

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
by the way, Alan-- you (and the others sporting this shoe choice) are much braver than me, I don't think I could pull off the patent pumps with bows. Certainly the most trad choice, but it goes squarely against my 'What would Bond do?' ethos.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by AlanC
p1012846wb8.jpg

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Here is my bit of black tie pRon. This is MTM outfit my tailor made for me. Just a basic dinner jacket that I get allot of wear out of. I have few shirts I rotate into the outfit, and a rotate between linen Pocket square and silk ones, other then that it stay about the same.

Some shots taken before an event a week ago:

tux0002aw2.jpg

tux0001tx5.jpg

tux0003ia1.jpg
[/quote]

And a few shots from after an event last night:

Here is me and the Mrs.

img9696ci0.jpg

Here is shot of my favorite cuff links. They are old an ugly but they have found their way down through 3 generations of our family, so I wear them more then any other links.

img9701ww7.jpg

Deipnosophist

Reaction score
I have a school leavers' prom in the next few days (a load of 17/18 year olds doing 'black tie' - how bad can it be?
biggrin.gif
), and have just finished putting the final touches on my 'ensemble'.
ok27b8.jpg
35hqv7l.jpg
30k4msp.jpg
nvbgco.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads