• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foo shops for a Japanese knife

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Making monkfish stew with a little help from my Aritsugu:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

did it. awesome knife for just over $100.

finally gave this knife a good work, and out of the box this knife is superb. made easy work of a tough project (a week old wilty tomato that I cut up to add to some guac). would buy from the same brand again.

nice. what would you say about a chosera 3k and 5k, on top of the edge pro 1k i already have. does that make any sense?

this is a Q for Manton.

Last edited:

braised

Reaction score
A basic principle of sharpening is to keep jumps at or under 3x, meaning that a 1k, 3k,10k works well. This is what I have in the kitchen and the limiting factor is my technique, not the stones.

Others advocate smaller steps but I just see inefficiency. At the same point a King 1k/6k stone works but I like the intermediate 3K or so step.

I just upgraded stones for the shop and added a 5K into the mix. I havn't used the stone yet but it looks like it has more feedback than the chosera 10K which is an amazing piece of blue-white chalk.

DDM

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

made easy work of a tough project (a week old wilty tomato that I cut up to add to some guac).

SF is just the greatest.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those who uses 5-6k stones, how often do you cook and how often do you sharpen?

I am currently sticking with an 1k edge and it lasts me for months.

I take most of my knives to between 6k-8k. There's a noticeable decline in the edge polish after about 15-20 uses, depending on the steel. In a lot of cases, though, the edge just becomes more toothy (similar to a 1k edge) and doesn't feel much less sharp, just different. I usually touch up my go-to knives on a finishing stone every couple of weeks and then go back down to 1k about every 2-3 months. 500 grit doesn't get used until the edge feels pretty dull.

braised

Reaction score
I am the camp cook so use knives daily. In reality, I sharpen four, maybe five times a year. Better steels last longer and I,ve really found a polished edge to last longer than a toothy edge. The 5-10k is prob. overkill but so what.

Before the good Japanese knives, I was a Sabatier 62 man and could maintain the soft, elastic carbon steel on a broad French steel I bought at dehillerin in Paris an age ago. Now a mizuno Honyaki gyoto has pride of place for its edge. I still pull out the 62 when I want to knock the tips of chicken legs or wings to "airline" a chicken breast. The mizuno is not a fragile laser, it's a solid piece of steel but the reality seems to be that the edges of Japanese knives are thinner.

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
disregard my last post, i'm a moron, i don't actually have an EP 1k. gonna kop dat chosera 1,3 and maybe 10k.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

disregard my last post, i'm a moron, i don't actually have an EP 1k. gonna kop dat chosera 1,3 and maybe 10k.

Just remember that these stones are graded on different scales.

EP 1k is actually quite a bit finer than a Chosera 1k (which is closer to the EP 600).

Chosera 3k is closer to the EP 1k. If you already have something like a 600 EP stone, then you can skip to the 3k chosera (unless you just want a full chosera set).

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah i do have the 600, i think that's where i got confused. chosera 1k unkopped.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In a knife block with custom slots for bigger blades:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads