• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fluid/dynamic/ongoing B. Nelson Experience

Unregistered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rsuhandy
Unregistered I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not
eh.gif

Hence the face palm.

Sarcasm indeed.

BlackShoes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
Frankly, I'm sick of this thread. I think the OP is in the wrong and others think he's in the right because they believe in some perverted form of "the customer is always right" justice.

I agree, Nick won't lose any customers because of this thread. Will he lose potential future customers? That's harder to say. Certainly he'll lose a few, and that's sad and wholly on the shoulders of the OP.

The fault lies wholly with Nick, if he had come in and offered to help the OP in anyway he can, he would have given himself a good showing.

Originally Posted by Nick V.
Yes, I had the mirror and running board ripped off and, part of the drivers side door heavily damaged on a brand new truck I purchased for $35k a few years ago. It happened at a car wash. The owner of the operation freaked. He was more up-set than I was (and I loved that truck). He explained, your truck jumped the track. I don't know why. I said to him, I'm in business and I understand things happen. Just have it fixed. He did. Could I have exploited him around town? Of course. Rather, I chose the course of giving Him the opportunity to correct the damage. If he didn't, I would have flapped My tongue, Today, we are good Friends.

The difference being, the car wash guy did not call you a liar, blame you for being cheap, be vague about what caused it or charge you for fixing his **** up

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to summarise, if there's only one thing I've learnt from this lengthy thread, it is that 100% satisfaction is never enough. In 2011, 120% is the new 100%.

Since this has already been resolved IRL, let's all now stop assigning blame to anyone and let this thread die the swift death it deserves. I cannot see how any additional input would be in anyone's interest anymore. I hope the mods close this.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
Just to summarise, if there's only one thing I've learnt from this lengthy thread, it is that 100% satisfaction is never enough. In 2011, 120% is the new 100%.

Since this has already been resolved IRL, let's all now stop assigning blame to anyone and let this thread die the swift death it deserves. I cannot see how any additional input would be in anyone's interest anymore. I hope the mods close this.

I disagree. There are still some unanswered questions and inquiring minds want to know.

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CYstyle
No one was there but Nick and the OP. We don't know what really happened. It seems a lot of things happened back at the shop in a private conversation we don't have access to. If Nick who has been doing shoes for 34 years, does not think his shop caused damage to the op's wife's shoe, why should he be responsible to repay it? Rider and DWFII who are also shoe experts have both posted, that the nail or staple in question that punctured the upper may have not been the fault of Nick or his craftsman using too large of a nail with too little care, as many have accused him of. Nick took care of it, the op was happy with it, and that is done. Unless you were present at the shop at the time of all interactions between the op and Nick, you shouldn't really pass judgement, or judgement of character on either. It's not fair to either person.
I know how my wife's shoes went in and I know how they came back. Her shoe collection is her heart; she pay meticulous detail to them. But as I said, I was cool with his explanation and wanted to move past it all. My experience with women shoes have not been unique, look at Yelp, as an earlier posted suggested I post my review. I definitely agree with you about Rider and DWFII comments, but Nick NEVER said what the cause was, only what it could have been and in his posts has been vague. He called me a liar, amongst other things, so it would have been easy to say, "this wasn't my fault, it happened because of...." If it were me, that would have been the first thing that I would have done when I came to pick up the shoes-showed the cause/culprit. But he chose to split hairs over 100% satisfaction versus 120% or me lying about apologizing. No one was there but myself and Nick, look at the posts and people should judge the most plausible scenario, or who has been more accurate and forthcoming.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gyasih
At the LeatherSpa, being dyed.

It is funny. I was just about to write and suggest that you or your wife do that. Personally I do not think that it looks that bad from the pictures of your wife shoes you provided. But women see those things differently I guess.

In any case this thread has been wonderful educational experience for everyone involved. I am not taking sides in this dispute but I hope everyone involved finds much needed peace of mind.

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laufer
It is funny. I was just about to write and suggest that you or your wife do that. Personally I do not think that it looks that bad from the pictures of your wife shoes you provided. But women see those things differently I guess.

In any case this thread has been wonderful educational experience for everyone involved. I am not taking sides in this dispute but I hope everyone involved finds much needed peace of mind.

That's where I usually take her shoes, but I was at B. Nelson's getting something else done and didn't feel like lugging them around.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gyasih
That's where I usually take her shoes, but I was at B. Nelson's getting something else done and didn't feel like lugging them around.

In that case you have my sympathies. You probably thought it was safe to leave them at B. Nelson based on the reviews he has been receiving on this forum. When it comes women it is best not to assume anything. Hopefully you wife is not terribly upset about.

I think this dying job will work out just fine. Ron Rider did dying job for a pair of my shoes and you could never tell that these shoes used to be different color.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The way to end all this is simply to ask the "un-askable" question: who is responsible? I've been quoted as saying that a staple or nail could have been left in the shoe by the factory. I stand by that. Others have suggested...not necessarily in this thread...that I am misguided when I assert that there is no one who is responsible or cares, about anything other than the bottom line, in a factory operation. To them, and to all who are following this thread...ask yourself: if staples are left in the shoe at the factory, where was the responsible, caring, person who could have/should have caught that and sent it back to have those staples removed? (yes, I know they are not ordinarily removed...too difficult, too time-consuming...but if there is a possibility that they will cause problems down the line, oughtn't they be? Or is it just an insidious ploy to make the lives of independent repairmen unbearable and insure that shoes will be sent back to the factory for recrafting?) If there is a nail protruding from the side of a shoe when it leaves the factory, where was that one person who was supposed to inspect the work and either reject it or pass it through? Where? Where was the caring and the sense of responsibility? Factories...all of us...are capable of making mistakes. They are also capable of fixing those mistakes before they ever get into the hands of a customer or create problems for the maker. I would bet even money that there are shoes out there that you...yes, you (generic "you")...have bought, at top dollar, that had scuffs, rips, holes from nails or staples, etc., that have been repaired, covered up, or otherwise cosmetically "fixed." And if those repairs are not done before the shoe leaves the factory, I find myself asking..."why not?" Do the makers care so little about their customers? Are they so cynical?

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
The way to end all this is simply to ask the "un-askable" question: who is responsible?

I've been quoted as saying that a staple or nail could have been left in the shoe by the factory. I stand by that.

just to play devil's advocate here...earlier in this threak another member who claims he had toe plates installed at the same establishment posted a shoe with what appears to be a protruding screw from the installation. assuming the post is accurate, who is responsible in that case?

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
just to play devil's advocate here...earlier in this threak another member who claims he had toe plates installed at the same establishment posted a shoe with what appears to be a protruding screw from the installation. assuming the post is accurate, who is responsible in that case?
Well...that's an interesting question, isn't it? One I am not prepared to answer. I'm not going to pass judgment on any one person or firm. I've made that my policy/modus operandi throughout all my postings here on SF for the simple reason that I am sure my house is more glass than concrete, as who should say. I'm only asking these questions to inspire a little objective thought. Each must answer that question for himself.

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
Well...that's an interesting question, isn't it? One I am not prepared to answer. I'm not going to pass judgment on any one person or firm. I've made that my modus operandi throughout my postings here on SF for the simple reason that I am sure my house is more glass than concrete, as who should say. I'm only asking these questions to inspire a little objective thought. Each must answer that question for himself.
You and Ron have put an interesting twist to this with the staple from the factory. I only wear shoes and know nothing about the construction. Would this staple been seen upon purchase or would some force have to cause it to come out? If putting the tap in caused it to come out, then it would not be the "fault" of the person putting on the tap. All I know is that my shoes were in B. Nelson's possession and came back damaged. I think a lot of this back and forth would have been resolved if-1. I waited to post until everything was over. 2. When I brought the shoes in with the damage, the tap was removed and I would have seen that the tap was or was not the culprit 2. If when I went back to pick up my shoes and Nick had the offending piece and explained what he believes happened. I would have come back on here and said I was a jerk for making accusations and jumping to conclusions without knowing shoe construction, etc. To get an explanation now wouldn't mean much to me because to prove a liar wrong, you must provide something contrary to what they have said and you don't wait days to do so. It's definitely not about people being on anyone's side, but you call me a liar, so it would have also been easy to say, "This is what happened. I explained it to the OP when he came in, or I didn't explain it to the OP because I just wanted the guy out of my shop." I never received anything other than "it could have been a nail from the factory" and we both left it at that. I came and posted that everything was ok.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the fact that the OP was allowed to leave with the shoes with a nail/staple protruding speaks to the quality of the work. That should have been seen and remedied before the shoes were delivered regardless of who's fault it was and I think this thread would not exist (save for the CL damage).

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanjida191