• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flat front vs pleats, what if your opinion?

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m_wave
Pleats for fatties and oldies
Flat for the young and slim

Inane post of the thread (and there have been a few doozies I tell ya).

Pleats look bad to many people because they invariably look awful on cotton chinos, which is where most people see them. On well-fitting woolen trousers, they can look great. I prefer single-reverse pleats on some pants because you can get a nice crease and drape you can't with flat-fronts.

m_wave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Inane post of the thread (and there have been a few doozies I tell ya).

Pleats look bad to many people because they invariably look awful on cotton chinos, which is where most people see them. On well-fitting woolen trousers, they can look great. I prefer single-reverse pleats on some pants because you can get a nice crease and drape you can't with flat-fronts.

Point taken..

To elaborate and echo what others have said in this thread I think especially in a casual trouser you want to flatter your figure as much as possible. If you are slim and young and looking for a sleek casual look then pleats will just add age and a "frumpiness" to your over all look. When you try the trousers on make sure the pockets sit flat against your hips and don't tend to stick out at all. This can be an issue with flat fronts especially if they are slightly tight around the waist / hips.

M~

Dolle Dolf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
Pleats on everything but jeans and linen pants for summer.

Nonono, that should read "including linen pants for the summer"

I like reverse pleats.

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

I shall have to grant you that I have a fairly biggish butt from a squatting habit in the gym, Same for thighs. And i wear my wallet, keys and cellphone in my front pocket. And I am not 17 anymore (thank god)

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always thought that pleats were almost mandatory on suit trousers. Shall I understand that they are not?
My only pair of flat front trousers (excepting denim/cotton/cord trousers) are a pair of woolen (flannel) trousers that I wear with a sport coat. Now, I think that these are my favourite trousers. I never understood really why I think they fit that well on me and why I do not like my pleated trousers that much, but after reading this thread I think I may have the clue: true, I have a slim waist.
So, should I also get my suit trousers with flat front? I thought that might look too casual, but in this thread I have seen no reference to any difference in "formality" between pleats and flat front. Maybe this is just a misunderstanding of mine. What do you think?

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me it`s just a matter of decoration, so I like wearing all types of pants (flats, single pleats, double pleats). With suits, I always gets pleats (mostly single, but sometimes I`ll go double), and even with something like cotton odd trousers, I will go with pleats sometimes.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
For me it`s just a matter of decoration, so I like wearing all types of pants (flats, single pleats, double pleats). With suits, I always gets pleats (mostly single, but sometimes I`ll go double), and even with something like cotton odd trousers, I will go with pleats sometimes.

"With suits, I always gets pleats": yes, but why? Would flat fronts be inappropriate for a suit? Why? Too casual? Or is it just that you (personally) "look better" with pleats?
I would really like to know other people's opinion, because I may wish to go with flat front pants for my next suit (which I guess I will order soon, spring coming up), but I do not want to go with something if there is a general consensus that it is not appropriate. I mean, I basically like to follow the rules.

Jupiter

Reaction score
I would agree with the previous post about wool. I have a nice pair of worsted flannel trousers with forward pleats that look great. For cotton, I went flat front because the lighter fabric does not drape as well.

In the end, regardless of any rules, it is a very personal decision on what you feel looks best on you and what you are most comfortable with. If you are uncomfortable wearing pleated trousers, then why buy them? The most expensive clothes are those that are never worn.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The issue is, I am more "comfortable" with pleats because all my "dress" trousers have had pleats, until I got this flat front pair (actually, I got it because the MTM guy at Zegna recommended it). And I found that I liked it, but on the other hand I do not want to project a very "fashion-forward" image. Basically, I feel about flat front suit trousers a bit like about peak label SB suit jackets, except that I really like the way the flat front trousers fit me. So that is my concern: does flat front suit trousers "project" anything (fashion forward, casual...) or is the only thing to consider what "looks best"?

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
The issue is, I am more "comfortable" with pleats because all my "dress" trousers have had pleats, until I got this flat front pair (actually, I got it because the MTM guy at Zegna recommended it). And I found that I liked it, but on the other hand I do not want to project a very "fashion-forward" image. Basically, I feel about flat front suit trousers a bit like about peak label SB suit jackets, except that I really like the way the flat front trousers fit me. So that is my concern: does flat front suit trousers "project" anything (fashion forward, casual...) or is the only thing to consider what "looks best"?
No, I don't think flat front pants "project" anything. If you keep your jacket on, as you should if you want to "project" a mature image, flat front or pleats will not show.
I wear only flat front trousers, but single pleat can look good if the trousers are slim and tappered.

!luc

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
No, I don't think flat front pants "project" anything. If you keep your jacket on, as you should if you want to "project" a mature image, flat front or pleats will not show.
!luc

LOL
Good point.
Actually, here I am normally one of the last persons to take my jacket off (in many meetings or business lunches, I am the only one with the jacket still on at the end of the session). But still, I have to admit, I spend quite some time without jacket. And I want the trousers to look good. Often, pleated trousers, especially if with two pleats and bought RTW (often involving a subsequent trimming of the waist) tend to look baggy on me, IMO (in pre-SF times I sometimes trusted the salespeople
baldy[1].gif
who consistently told me that the trousers looked great and that the "bagginess" was adequate for dress trousers...)
I guess I will seriously consider flat front for my next suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads