• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

[FIT CHECK] SuitSupply Lazio

Kranica

Reaction score
Hey all,

First post here! Super excited to get some input and learn some things.

Ok, down to business. I rarely wear a suit (maybe 2-3 times a year), but have a wedding to attend so it was a proper excuse to get a solid, versatile suit that I could depend on when the time calls. After doing a lot of research and lurking on here and Reddit, I decided to go with SuitSupply.

About the suit: SuitSupply Lazio 100% Vitale Barberis Canonico Super 110's wool

Jacket: Not too many alterations were needed. Waist was taken in, sleeves were lengthened slightly, and some fabric was taken from below the back of the collar. Overall very satisfied with the fit. Only questionable thing is sleeve length. Feel like they may be a little long.

Pants: Waist brought in to my size, hips were tapered for a slimmer fit, and hemmed for a no break look. No gripes here.

Please tell me what you think!

imgur.com/gallery/ley2qMD

jts287

Reaction score
Sleeves are the only issue, but I'm leaning towards the shirt sleeves being too short rather than the jacket sleeves being too long, but maybe its a combination.

Kranica

Reaction score
Sleeves are the only issue, but I'm leaning towards the shirt sleeves being too short rather than the jacket sleeves being too long, but maybe its a combination.
I was considering that as well. The shirt was a basic H&M easy iron that definitely felt a little short in the sleeve. Thanks for the input.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sleeves certainly, far from sure that the lack of break on the trousers looks good.

Kranica

Reaction score
Sleeves certainly, far from sure that the lack of break on the trousers looks good.
Thanks for the reply. I guess the proper amount of break in the pants is very subjective. I personally prefer no break with most of the shoe showing.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here is a nitpicking analysis:

The sleeve pitch is off. See that bunching on the back of the sleeve? It's because your arms hang straighter than the jacket sleeve is accounting for. Rotating the sleeve back slightly will help. Looks a little too roomy in the chest, which should be easy to adjust at your tailor. Looks like there is some bunching around the lower back which interrupts the line leading to the seat. The trousers might be off in their proportions or you might just need to pull them up in the back but in any case there is bunching on the back of the trouser leg. I actually think the jacket sleeve length looks good but your shirt sleeves might be too short. You should be able to see 1/4 to 1/2 inch of shirt cuff.

useless_username

Reaction score
It's a surprisingly good fit.

I vote for shortening the jacket sleeves (about 1 cm). Or you'll have to wear very long shirts with it. Either way, you have space to shorten the jacket sleeve, should you choose to do so.

Caustic Man is right about sleeve pitch (but are you standing naturally, with relaxed arms, in the picture?). This would be a costlier operation to fix and will require a skilled tailor.

I wouldn't worry about the back and the trousers. If you want to be a perfectionist, yes, these can be altered, but I'm not sure it's worth the cost.

Final tip: Close all the buttons on your jacket sleeve. Unless you're an Italian dandy, in which case you can do what you want.

Kranica

Reaction score
Here is a nitpicking analysis:

The sleeve pitch is off. See that bunching on the back of the sleeve? It's because your arms hang straighter than the jacket sleeve is accounting for. Rotating the sleeve back slightly will help. Looks a little too roomy in the chest, which should be easy to adjust at your tailor. Looks like there is some bunching around the lower back which interrupts the line leading to the seat. The trousers might be off in their proportions or you might just need to pull them up in the back but in any case there is bunching on the back of the trouser leg. I actually think the jacket sleeve length looks good but your shirt sleeves might be too short. You should be able to see 1/4 to 1/2 inch of shirt cuff.

Thanks for the detailed input!

Kranica

Reaction score
It's a surprisingly good fit.

I vote for shortening the jacket sleeves (about 1 cm). Or you'll have to wear very long shirts with it. Either way, you have space to shorten the jacket sleeve, should you choose to do so.

Caustic Man is right about sleeve pitch (but are you standing naturally, with relaxed arms, in the picture?). This would be a costlier operation to fix and will require a skilled tailor.

I wouldn't worry about the back and the trousers. If you want to be a perfectionist, yes, these can be altered, but I'm not sure it's worth the cost.

Final tip: Close all the buttons on your jacket sleeve. Unless you're an Italian dandy, in which case you can do what you want.

Thanks for the feedback! One question, why is it a "surprisingly good fit"?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s easy to obsess over sleeve pitch in static posed photos. The reality is that the sleeve hangs cleanly only in a single arm position. In real life you will be moving your arms and sleeve pitch becomes irrelevant.

Are you standing more straight and hips forward in your photos than you normally do? It may be that in a relaxed position even the minor issues in the jacket fit go away, and to some extent the trouser issues.

I agree that it’s a good fit.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually that's not true. A well tailored jacket that fits properly can look good in a nearly infinite variety of movements, postures, or ways you happen to be standing. That's basically the idea behind paying for a bespoke garment. If done well it should be something that looks good whether standing still, moving, or whatever. Having the right sleeve pitch is one of the things that makes a jacket look good when in motion. It's certainly not the only thing but it's a part of it.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay whatever. A sleeve will wrinkle if you move your arm away from whatever neutral point the jacket was cut for. No amount of romanticizing will change that simple fact. Show me a picture or video that supports your argument.

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To follow on my earlier point, if the op had taken the photo with his arms forward by a few degrees the sleeves would not have any wrinkles and one might say that the sleeve pitch looked good. Sleeve pitch, unless it is way off, is IMO overrated but often discussed as it is easy to nitpick on static photos.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't want to dive fully into the rabbit hole that you're halfway into but I'm not saying there won't be "wrinkling" (wrong term, btw.) but what I'm saying is that a good sleeve pitch, among other things, can help to achieve a fit that looks good in movement. Luca Rubinacci is a good example. He always wears wonderfully fitting garments that move nicely because the proportions are correct for his body. My general rule is that if a suit looks off when standing still then it will look off in movement. But this is really up to the OP whether he thinks it's important. It's really not worth debating. If it's not important to you as a consumer then that's fine. Let the OP decide for himself. I did say that I was nitpicking, after all.

hc_afifan

Reaction score
I think it looks good, it'll look really good to the untrained eye, nobody will be pointing and laughing at you. :) I agree the sleeves could be shortened a tad, but it's up to you how much shirt sleeve you like showing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads