• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fine cutlery, EDC, and pocket jewelry": Here we post reviews, recommendations, tips about and appreciation of.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If that’s the case I wouldn’t overthink it. The Sabenza you already have is up to the task and then some. It’s also an iconic knife in the space with outstanding build quality that you can be proud to carry.

If you need something more robust for outdoor use maybe consider a fixed blade designed for the task.

Maybe I’m just not a knife guy or haven’t spent enough time learning? Purely from a design/aesthetic perspective, most of what I see does not particularly appeal.

I wish he’d stick to slip joints.

For example, the above. Are these attractive to people who know knives? If I become more knowledgeable, will I “get it”?

@TheFoo PM me your address. I’ll send you a Z-Hunter. It's as close to a "one knife" as you will ever get.

View attachment 1980125

Too kind! But I waste too much money on frivolous luxury goods to accept your generosity without feeling guilty.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I’m just not a knife guy or haven’t spent enough time learning? Purely from a design/aesthetic perspective, most of what I see does not particularly appeal.

For example, the above. Are these attractive to people who know knives? If I become more knowledgeable, will I “get it”?

Too kind! But I waste too much money on frivolous luxury goods to accept your generosity without feeling guilty.
I think that everyone starts off liking the either the more classic shapes like drop and clippoints, or traditional shapes like boys knives. They are immediately identifiable as handsome. They are the knife equivalent of a navy suit in a mini herringbone, or whatever.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But these crazy handles…
Yeah. I don't love that type of carbon fiber, but some, like the dark matter carbon fiber, which has copper swirls on black, are beautiful.

But like I said before, I think that the more esoteric shapes and materials become more of a think when you are deep into the hobby. I think that there is a similar trajectory for most hobbies.

There are the more universally accessible, understandable aesthetics that everyone understands and appreciates just from lots of exposure. The Sebenza is one of those things. Micarta and woodinlays are things everyone has seen, and the lines are all classical. It's the leather jacket, tees and a jeans with chukkas, or the MTM charcoal suit with a grenadine tie. Never going to look bad, but if you've seen it 1000000x, you start to focus on other things - specific materials (handle and blade), lock types, complex grinds, action, etc...

fwiw, the first knife that I got my wife was a small sebenza with a drop point blade and elder burl inlays, one of the most beautiful and striking of the Sebenza 31 variants.

As you get more deeply into a hobby, typically, people start appreciating things that one might just not have liked before. They are acquired tastes than can be deeply rewarding, and typically come with knowledge, exposure, or exapeince

Sorry if rambling. Really tired.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But these crazy handles…
fwiw, not my favorite carbon fiber patterns either. I like micarta, I also like some of the carbon fiber in more subdued tones and swirls patterns, and things like silver twill carbon fiber, but all of that is in line with my taste in clothing and jewelry in general. I really don't like color in my clothing, except maybe for small accents. I've found that I like the same touches on knives, like that timascus bolster against black micarta on that custom Pena.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like this guy’s work:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like this guy’s work:

Ray Laconico does good work. Super minimal, distinctive designs. If you want to see his most recent work, he is always designing for Monterey Bay knives, which are terrific, and at very reasonable for the quality and especially for 2023 prices:
He is always making new designs, nearly always with the same neutral handle shape.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Regarding this batch of Jack Wolf knives. It's not my thing and you are correct to question it. He does good work but I'd never buy a knife that looks like that.

I lean towards more classic designs.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The pocket knife industry of full of “high speed low drag” tactical designs.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went down a bit of a rabbit hole looking at Ray Laconico's work. Really great stuff. Any feedback on Kizer knives? Looks like he's designed some of their models?
Kizer has alway done solid work. They were one of the earlier companies who did collaborations with lots of designers under the Kizer name (as opposed to being an OEM.) Some early work had weird idiosyncratic aesthetic touches, like a blue patterned pivot.

More recently, they had one of the best versions of the bar lock, and the Kizer dropbear is pretty awesome.

I put the quality under Reate and WE, but higher than say, QSP.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kizer has alway done solid work. They were one of the earlier companies who did collaborations with lots of designers under the Kizer name (as opposed to being an OEM.) Some early work had weird idiosyncratic aesthetic touches, like a blue patterned pivot.

More recently, they had one of the best versions of the bar lock, and the Kizer dropbear is pretty awesome.

I put the quality under Reate and WE, but higher than say, QSP.

Thanks for the feedback!

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can’t stop carrying this one. It’s so slim and light in disappears in my pocket. Never thought I’d EDC a fixed blade.

IMG_0768.jpeg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance