• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GzStudio

Reaction score
Spent the last week at Disney and found someone else on the Smokey bandwagon...

817ECC99-66A2-4DFE-9308-389502685F7A.jpeg

asturiano

Reaction score
That leather looks abraded or heat damaged. Almost like it’s been out on a bench sander. Maybe there was a monogram or logo there prior.
At the current price it’s quite good value especially as it’s Talon era so quite desirable to some. The dirt would likely be removable in the main. You could patch the hole or repair it.
The leather might take some stain and be less noticeable.
I don’t think it’s a warranty fix though - that’s user damage not product failure.
Overall Pullman’s are great bags. Very spacious and quite elegant (by Filson standards). I really like mine.

Thanks to you and the others for your help. I just won the auction. Actually I just bid a small amount (150) and surprisingly I won. I dont know if the price is correct but one hour and another Pullman was sold for the same price (but cleaner!!!) I had the impression that the prices for Filsons was a bit higher? I

There is not strap coming with the bag but I would use one from my 257. I hope it fits. It is extremely long for my 257. How do you suggest to clean the dirt? Sponge and just water? I am not bothered about the faded leather , this can be easily masked.
I can patch the hole too ,not an problem.

I am based in Dubai, so all the repairs would need to be local. Little point in sending the back to USA

Thank you again and I will try to post pictures of the before and after but I am not very good with pictures.

I am now after the Burton/Filson wheelie bag. Really a pity it was discontinued. It was gorgeous!

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to you and the others for your help. I just won the auction. Actually I just bid a small amount (150) and surprisingly I won. I dont know if the price is correct but one hour and another Pullman was sold for the same price (but cleaner!!!) I had the impression that the prices for Filsons was a bit higher? I

There is not strap coming with the bag but I would use one from my 257. I hope it fits. It is extremely long for my 257. How do you suggest to clean the dirt? Sponge and just water? I am not bothered about the faded leather , this can be easily masked.

I am based in Dubai, so all the repairs would need to be local. Little point in sending the back to USA

Thank you again and I will try to post pictures of the before and after but I am not very good with pictures.

I am now after the Burton/Filson wheelie bag. Really a pity it was discontinued. It was gorgeous!

Good for you. Yes, we’d expect a Pullman to go for substantially more than $150.
@GzStudio and/or @TinMan3 can probably speak to cleaning with some authority.

My method has tended to be use some dish soap and water, plus a scrubbing brush. Remember the fabric is wax impregnated, so hopefully the dirt is sticking to the wax rather than the cotton.

Some people have put whole bags in the washing machine. I’ve never tried this. It’s going to make the leather stiff but if you are going feed the leather anyway then perhaps it doesn’t matter.

You also have the option to rewax the whole bag. That will likely make the fabric look different unless you spend time with a hair dryer or heat gun getting it all completely soaked in. But re waxing might help with masking stains and giving a more uniform look to the fabric.

Good luck and post some pictures of the before and after so we can see how it goes?

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good luck with the cleaning process. I've done it myself and it can be a labor of love...

I know it's not the Filson/Burton combo, but I'm considering selling my Navy Rolling Carry-on for a decent price. Let me know if you might have an interest.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GORUCK packs can be heavy, but I've found their simple/clean layout and their "overbuilt" durability to be worth the extra pound or so... they even break-in and have their own "patina" similar to the Filson bags. I have a GR1 that's nearly 3 years old and it looks better everyday I use it.

Another bag I would put on your radar is the Aer Travel Bag. They just updated their design (Version 2.0) and I think they're worth considering for 1 bag travel. They are also considerably cheaper than the GR2 and the minaal 2.0.

Thanks woods. I checked out the AER. I'm not really a fan of the understated look of it, but considering the low cost and versatility of it, I'd be willing to look past that. The more and more I look at GoRuck, the more intrigued I get. I might be considering the GR2 34L, as I am 6'1 with broad shoulders but thin (160lbs), unless of course you think I'd be better off with the GR1 26L?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And yet another use for the 48hr duffle...

View attachment 1017355

Does Filson offer a scratch protection program for cat and dog parents? My dog likes to use my #246 as a step to get on my bed. As you might predict, this makes me cringe, however I keep reminding myself that the scratches and marks my dog makes on it will be comforting reminders when he's gone. So I welcome dog-related patina on all of my Filson's....just as long as it's not #1 or #2 patina :lol:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of ballistic nylon and dufflepacks- I like this new Rover from Defy out of Chicago. Seems like a great execution on the duffle-pack - which seems to be a good solution for airline travel and long walks to the gate as opposed to a full fledged backpack.

DEFY has this industrial/motorcycle/Chicago vibe going on which is kinda cool. And very different from the woodsy/Pacific Northwest/lumber camp vibe of Filson

View attachment 1017441

View attachment 1017442

Thanks for sharing soletrane @lifeinabox . I too like Defy. The seat-belt style straps look both comfortable and stylish. However I am always extra vigilant when it comes to secondary purposes for bags. Case in Point the backpack straps of the Defy and Filson Duffel-pack. Since both these bags are setup like a duffel bag first and foremost I would speculate that the backpack straps are more there for convenience rather than comfort. For instance how do both handle weight distribution under load. Not knocking the design of a duffel pack, as it appeals to me, but I'm certainly not trying to swap one uncomfortable bag for another; i.e. "the same dog different fleas", if I can channel a little Gordon Gecko :fonz:.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else wondered what a mostly Otter Green #258 looks like with Tan accents? I'm torn on this one, not sure If I like it or not. Looks kinda like a frowny face if you look at it long enough :(:lol:.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Filson-258-Padded-Computer-Bag-Briefcase-Otter-Green-Tan/223102342779?epid=219758793&hash=item33f1ef967b:g:poEAAOSwd-NbckGL&_sacat=0&_nkw=filson+briefcase&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

View attachment 1018660
Not my cup of tea. Looks like the flap might be two tone as well.

Wonder if this was an experiment or custom order or something? Too new to be FRD.

(And thanks for your nice comment on my pic)

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wonder if this was an experiment or custom order or something? Too new to be FRD.

I’m on the fence here. At this point, I hate it, but 3 years down the road, when fading starts to set in, I think it may look pretty cool. Regardless, I would not carry that thing for 3 years in hopes of an interesting faded look.

masayako

Reaction score
GORUCK packs can be heavy, but I've found their simple/clean layout and their "overbuilt" durability to be worth the extra pound or so... they even break-in and have their own "patina" similar to the Filson bags. I have a GR1 that's nearly 3 years old and it looks better everyday I use it.

Another bag I would put on your radar is the Aer Travel Bag. They just updated their design (Version 2.0) and I think they're worth considering for 1 bag travel. They are also considerably cheaper than the GR2 and the minaal 2.0.

I love the GoRuck and it's an awesome 1 pack travel. Speaking from a guy traveling with a GoRuck GR1 in Hawaii right now.
20180814_080756.jpg

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks woods. I checked out the AER. I'm not really a fan of the understated look of it, but considering the low cost and versatility of it, I'd be willing to look past that. The more and more I look at GoRuck, the more intrigued I get. I might be considering the GR2 34L, as I am 6'1 with broad shoulders but thin (160lbs), unless of course you think I'd be better off with the GR1 26L?

Damn you're small....like a lady :lol:

26L is a good sized pack. Unless you need the space, it should be more than substantial for casual use.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:fonz:
I hadn't noticed the flap, good eye. Could be a special edition or FRD experiment. Too bad we don't have anyone here that is informative on these kind of things. HAHA just kidding @GzStudio :tongue:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nani94