• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anything specific you'd like to know? I can also take pics if that would be helpful. It's a great size, in that it (obviously) can be carried on, but is roomy enough to be the only bag you'd need for a few days' trip (for example, did a four-day NYC trip last month, and it carried all of my stuff, including a pair of Alden dress boots---one of my other hobbies is Alden---and a suit). The form factor is classic Filson, almost looks like a very large Filson briefcase, and is very balanced on the shoulder and in hand, even when full (unlike the MTB).

Pictures would be awesome, I'd love to see how the bag ages, especially in the stress points. What's the most amount of days that you traveled with it? Did it carry comfortably or did it feel like you were carrying a body rolled up in an oriental rug (mafia style) lol? What's the bags sweet spot (in terms of it's optimal carry limit before discomfort enters)? HAHAHA that's exactly what I've been saying about it; that it looks like a briefcase from certain angles. You said it about the MTB and the balance of the #70081, a point I've been sure about for awhile (based on the shoulder strap mounting points). Do you find that the shoulder strap mounting points are too high on the sides causing the bottom to stick out?

Ok Ok that's enough questions for know, but believe me I have more (as most would predict here lol).

HAHA good one @Soletrane I just hope it spits me back out

I'm slowly getting into Alden's myself. Love this photo btw:

aldenindy (1).jpg

Ragnarr

Reaction score
On the verge on pulling the trigger on a tan 256, but got one question;

Does the tan colour pick up black dye from leather jackets?

woodsjw

Reaction score
Sorry for limited posts, busy day yesterday. I’ll try to answer questions I saw below. If I missed one, just let me know.

Here’s one I bought from the back room. Not an old one (Filson zippers) but interesting color/texture on it. My first batch I bought from FRD is being shipped to me and the others are packed. I’ll work on photos. The guys at the Seattle store are genuinely passionate about the product and I spent a good amount of time just talking shop. It was nice.

My 48hr was 0317.

I might try to add a list but it changes often, so it may be hard to keep a moving list(I’m lazy). I’ll try to do something.

I did manage to score a nice leather briefcase from the outlet (not the weatherproof, the $1200 version). Was a bit unimpressed with the new Seattle outlet, it’s smaller than the Eagan one and old Burlington one. I did manage to fill a suitcase, a carryon, and some in my 48hr.

I have not seen one Filson bag in SeaTac as of yet. I’m going to go for a walk before I board. Hopefully I’ll see one....

View attachment 880710

This is a great looking briefcase...

Both the twill and the tin cloth will pick up loose dye from any garment you might be wearing... the tan will show it more than the OG, Brown, Navy or Black.... that being said, I think it generally looks good and becomes unique to the wearer after daily use.

In other words--I wouldn't worry about it too much!

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for limited posts, busy day yesterday. I’ll try to answer questions I saw below. If I missed one, just let me know.

Here’s one I bought from the back room. Not an old one (Filson zippers) but interesting color/texture on it. My first batch I bought from FRD is being shipped to me and the others are packed. I’ll work on photos. The guys at the Seattle store are genuinely passionate about the product and I spent a good amount of time just talking shop. It was nice.

My 48hr was 0317.

I might try to add a list but it changes often, so it may be hard to keep a moving list(I’m lazy). I’ll try to do something.

I did manage to score a nice leather briefcase from the outlet (not the weatherproof, the $1200 version). Was a bit unimpressed with the new Seattle outlet, it’s smaller than the Eagan one and old Burlington one. I did manage to fill a suitcase, a carryon, and some in my 48hr.

I have not seen one Filson bag in SeaTac as of yet. I’m going to go for a walk before I board. Hopefully I’ll see one....

View attachment 880710

You got my attention. Which leather briefcase from Filson is $1200? The Weatherproof is $795 but I didn't see anything pricier than that online.

Hard to imagine not seeing at least one hipster in Seattle with a Filson something.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes. But if it bothers you a gentle scrub with a small amount of some warm soapy water tends to get rid of it.
Many will love the patina the dye bleed brings.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My tan bags pick up light denim stains from my dark blue jeans. I am not a fan of it as I really like the soft faded look of an old tan bag and the faint blue streaks don't enhance it imo. So I started wearing regular chinos when I carry which wasn't a big deal anyway since that's mostly what I wear anyway as my office is business casual.

asturiano

Reaction score
I bought a 257 tan last year (after reading this whole thread, but i know is larger!) Should I have seen this review I might have probably got the 72 hours briefcase. The only thing is that I wanted my first Filson to be 22oz twill, so the 257 had to be. But I dont like the storm flap and I miss pockets that i can zip.

I bought my 257 in Hanks Clothing last February, the tag says 1014. 70257. I was suprised that they had such an old stock in current stock.

I am in the market for a second filson that I can use a carry on bag. I don't like duffle style bags, but i like clam shell model. If i am correct the only model is Pullman 70243? The carry on is also an option but I want something that I can hang from the shoulder.

Any other option? That 70081 is sweet but I just read that is discontinued. I dont mind buying off ebay but if possible I would like to make my own patina.

Many thanks!

Another thing, I few pages (don't remember where in the thread) I saw a model in navy with contrast straps in tan colour. Are these models part of an standard range or also discontinued?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was one of the major reasons I decided to go with the 24 hour (called 72 hour at the time). His review solidified it for me.

I like the way in which he presented the details of the bag.

HAHA that was also one of my major reasons for getting my 24 Hour and also why I chose it in Otter Green. I wasn't always an Otter Green nut, nope my first Filson was a TAN #70258.

He made an updated video comparing 9 of his most rugged daily carry's and guess what earned the top spot? Filson. Best for last.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a 257 tan last year (after reading this whole thread, but i know is larger!) Should I have seen this review I might have probably got the 72 hours briefcase. The only thing is that I wanted my first Filson to be 22oz twill, so the 257 had to be. But I dont like the storm flap and I miss pockets that i can zip.

I bought my 257 in Hanks Clothing last February, the tag says 1014. 70257. I was suprised that they had such an old stock in current stock.

I am in the market for a second filson that I can use a carry on bag. I don't like duffle style bags, but i like clam shell model. If i am correct the only model is Pullman 70243? The carry on is also an option but I want something that I can hang from the shoulder.

Any other option? That 70081 is sweet but I just read that is discontinued. I dont mind buying off ebay but if possible I would like to make my own patina.

Many thanks!

Another thing, I few pages (don't remember where in the thread) I saw a model in navy with contrast straps in tan colour. Are these models part of an standard range or also discontinued?

I'm actually a fan of the Storm Flap, it just gives it more of that Filson-vibe and quintessential Filsony-ness. I'm pretty sure that the #70257 was discontinued around 2014-2015, so that could be one of the last stock that they had. Some people see "discontinued" and they immediately think that something is wrong with the bag, but they have no idea that it has been around since the beginning of the Rugged Twill Luggage line (1991 or thereabouts). There are some that still carry brand new #70257's but in my opinion they are the ones that have the "errors"; like the flimsy cardboard-like leather that chips rather than wear.

Good luck finding the #70081, you're now competing with me on finding this rare (2 year production) bag. However if I see one in Tan, then it's all yours. I'm on the lookout for Otter Green but will settle for Navy.

You're welcome to this one, it's on of their later models that offers a mix of colors (TAN mainly with Otter Green Accents). The Large Pullman (discontinued) is Carry-On friendly and is much more common on eBay (there's several for sale now that are in new and new-like condition).
https://www.amazon.com/Filson-Unise...1710503&sr=8-2&keywords=Filson+Large+Carry+on

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is your suggestion for "Filson should make this product"?

My wish would be the 48 hour duffle in twill.

A Backpack meant for "single bag" Carry-On. I'm thinking it could be a clam-shell backpack like the Minaal 2.0 but offer more Filson like fabric but can take on a patina

Minaal 2.0:

How-to-keep-your-travel-gear-safe-Minaal-Carry-on-2.0-Camera-Equipment.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members