• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

woodsjw

Reaction score
Just saw my first Filson 24 Hour Briefcase in Otter Green with a patina. What does everyone think about it? He's rewaxed it twice. I tell ya I'm really missing mine, all those cool pockets. If they make one in Twill I'm so buying it.

View attachment 880524

Yep. This was the first Filson bag I owned, but in Tan... ended up selling it to buy a 258, but if they made it in twill, I'd buy one for sure!

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that all depends on the seller, if he's reasonable I'd say it would be around $400 to $450. However there's just as many unreasonable sellers (like that #266 seller)
I think that all depends on the seller, if he's reasonable I'd say it would be around $400 to $450. However there's just as many unreasonable sellers (like that #266 seller)

For the longest time, I would see Talon 256 selling along with the newer (used) bags on EBay with no consistent differences in pricing or even description. Maybe a bit higher if the an older bag was aged in a particularly attractive way.

Market awareness is increasing probably - at least in part - due to the shift in this thread towards collecting and "Talonism" which may be affecting things.

As an aside, I am in the minority here, I know, but I have never had a 256 or a 257 as I tend to gravitate towards full leather in a briefcase. In fact, I have spent 20 years almost pulling the trigger from when they were $135 MSRP at Paramount Sports in NYC to more recently online.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@GzStudio - thanks for the info and great pictures! I’m jealous - hope to get there one day.
Did you tell the staff about our little hothouse of opinion here, and how we’d be great as a marketing focus group for them?!

Also - did you see my post the other day about whether you publish a list of your available inventory?

bembel

Reaction score
With all the sales currently going on, it's hard to resist buying more bags.
If (theoretically) I would be interested in the 48 hour duffle - what would be the nicer color, navy or otter green?

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If (theoretically) I would be interested in the 48 hour duffle - what would be the nicer color, navy or otter green?
I try to keep my travel bags a different color than my every day carry (currently the tan 256) bag. The only exception I have is my Sportsman which sees more travel use than I would have thought.

Both my medium duffle and my rolling carry-on are Navy.

Keeping with that tradition, I’m hoping Santa brings me a 48 hour in otter green. Of course, if Santa forgets to get me a 48 hour in otter green, I will probably become my own Santa Claus in January.

It really is a sharp-looking bag in green.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the longest time, I would see Talon 256 selling along with the newer (used) bags on EBay with no consistent differences in pricing or even description. Maybe a bit higher if the an older bag was aged in a particularly attractive way.

Market awareness is increasing probably - at least in part - due to the shift in this thread towards collecting and "Talonism" which may be affecting things.

As an aside, I am in the minority here, I know, but I have never had a 256 or a 257 as I tend to gravitate towards full leather in a briefcase. In fact, I have spent 20 years almost pulling the trigger from when they were $135 MSRP at Paramount Sports in NYC to more recently online.
I’m guessing your every-day-carry bag is NOT a toooooomi, right?

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8807B03D-4654-4873-8E70-F1E9639FE1EF.jpeg
Doing some sorting out and ended up with this collection in the corner...

Color on the 258 is otter but faded compared to the 256. Camera over exaggerates though

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I try to keep my travel bags a different color than my every day carry (currently the tan 256) bag. The only exception I have is my Sportsman which sees more travel use than I would have thought.

Both my medium duffle and my rolling carry-on are Navy.

Keeping with that tradition, I’m hoping Santa brings me a 48 hour in otter green. Of course, if Santa forgets to get me a 48 hour in otter green, I will probably become my own Santa Claus in January.

It really is a sharp-looking bag in green.

Agree. I tend to prefer navy out of the box (for work). But the 24 and 48 look exceptionally good in OG.

dukerules

Reaction score
I don't post here much (too many other "hobbies, LOL), but I really enjoy this thread when I get a chance to read it.
256-otter green
Carry-on travel bag (what an awesome bag for air travel)-tan
Medium field bag-tan
Medium travel bag-tan
Tote-tan

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually, I haven't seen any Black Friday online deals on Filson. Sierra Trading Post and the Rack were the same sale items as before. Filson has a $100 off $500 which isn't that enticing to me. But admittedly, I am not the most astute online shopper.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m guessing your every-day-carry bag is NOT a toooooomi, right?

I actually used a Toomi for several years. It was one of their slimmer designs. I am embarrassed to admit on this forum, but I think I used it longer than any other briefcase in my career including a number of nice leather ones. It was just a very functional, no fuss bag.

I recently gave it to a former coworker to ensure I didn't backslide again.

I have another briefcase en route. This time a Filson. I am hoping this sticks as my EDC. (My oft praised Journeyman will remain as my 'travel briefcase'.)

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't post here much (too many other "hobbies, LOL), but I really enjoy this thread when I get a chance to read it.
256-otter green
Carry-on travel bag (what an awesome bag for air travel)-tan
Medium field bag-tan
Medium travel bag-tan
Tote-tan

Cool. Which one is the ""carry-on travel bag"?

woodsjw

Reaction score
Actually, I haven't seen any Black Friday online deals on Filson. Sierra Trading Post and the Rack were the same sale items as before. Filson has a $100 off $500 which isn't that enticing to me. But admittedly, I am not the most astute online shopper.

I picked up a Filson Medium Duffle in a Navy (older, larger version) from Sierra Trading post for $229. They only had 3 in stock and they sold out in less than an hour.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads