• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re tags - yes were made in black and brown.

Re Cranes - not sure why they went quiet but I remembered them, having also read all 400+ pages of this thread. As a last ditch I emailed them looking for luggage tags- and they had some
so I grabbed 2 brown ones. I guess quantities are very limited.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
based on the leather and lack of lanyard, I would put it in the 90's. I believe the 257 is the only have one I have or have seen that has Talons and either the lanyard or no lanyard. I will have to check this out later tonight with the ones I have to verify. I know the 256 did not have a lanyard during it's Talon run and was added when they switched to YKK. I also believe the 258 is the only bag to always have the key clasp/lanyard from beginning to current. I have an awesome 258 Talon that has it and the original owner bought it in its infancy.
Awesome I would certainly appreciate that (you checking). It would be nice just knowing that I have a 257 from the 90's (my favorite decade btw) instead of just assuming, which is what I've been doing as of late. The original 258 is what got me into Filson, I came across it in one of my older issues of Outside Magazine. In fact that was technically my first Filson (not the 24HR). I bought it from the Filson website and immediately realized it was way too big for what I had enlisted it for. I returned it and exchanged for my Otter Green 24HR (which was on back order). I did notice how impressive their customer service was as I didn't even have to pay for the return shipping.

image.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re tags - yes were made in black and brown.

Re Cranes - not sure why they went quiet but I remembered them, having also read all 400+ pages of this thread. As a last ditch I emailed them looking for luggage tags- and they had some
so I grabbed 2 brown ones. I guess quantities are very limited.

I think i know why Cranes haven't been brought up in sometime.....it's because people finally caught on that Cranes is the place to go if you need a leather hand grip sewn on for your 256 :crackup:. I swear that was the most common question of this thread up to a certain point (as you would know also having read the thread in its entirety). What took second place was the quintessential question 256 or 257? I assume the reason we don't hear that question anymore is probably due to the 257 being discontinued.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Otter - I agree. I think too Cranes offered discounts when perhaps they weren't really meant to, and that drove some volume.
I wonder why the 257 was discontinued? I've never seen one but on paper it looked a good proposition.

thePNW

Reaction score
FYI, my local Filson store in the states happens to have one brown Filson luggage tag in stock. Not sure if other stores do, but wantedto alert folks if they're still looking for these luggage tags. Still on the hunt for a black one though.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one of the old Filson padlocks but no key for it. I'd still like to find an Filson old lock & key combo.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I gather from my lessons here on this legendary thread (obsessively re-reading every page). Early 1990's to I believe 2002 were Talon Era Zippers. 2003 to I believe 2008/09 were when they switched to YKK's. Obviously after that (including my 2010 #266) is when the "Filson" branded zippers found their way on our bags.

My #257 with Talon's is up in the air as there is no attached build tag, so I can't quote the date of manufacture. I've been told by people much more knowledgeable than myself, that is is because there were no such thing as "build tags' on the first edition 256/257's (could be off base here...maybe @GzStudio could advise). There's also no interior/exterior key lanyard either...so explain that one.

I think the dates are pretty close.

37173897831_e60eafbb47_c.jpg

The sportsman bag and fly rod case are YKK zippers, haven't checked all the others but ones I did are Filson. Timeline adds up.

letsi

Reaction score
Soletrane said:
As I have said before, the YKK era is somewhere between the Talon and Filson (zipper) era quality. Leather doesn't age like fine wine (suede back, red-brown fading) like the Talon bags but doesn't pit or crack like Filson zipper bags.

I know the 256 did not have a lanyard during it's Talon run and was added when they switched to YKK.

Gotta disagree respectfully with both esteemed filsonites here for the above points.

Mines has YKK zippers, was made in 2004 with the factory tag on the inner pocket, had nicely reddish faded leather and no lanyards for keys in the front pockets.

Granted, it could be due to it being a transitional model but it just goes to show how changes come so very gradually in the past and how this briefcase design is so enduring.

GzStudio

Reaction score
Gotta disagree respectfully with both esteemed filsonites here for the above points.

Mines has YKK zippers, was made in 2004 with the factory tag on the inner pocket, had nicely reddish faded leather and no lanyards for keys in the front pockets.

Granted, it could be due to it being a transitional model but it just goes to show how changes come so very gradually in the past and how this briefcase design is so enduring.

No problems with that. Yes, the 256 received the lanyard during the ykk era. The first ykk 256's would have started in mid '02. At some point it was added, no idea exactly when.

As far as the leather, it is all based on where it is located, usage, and that climate. I posted 4 of the same bags. A barely used one had beautiful reddish brown leather and one still had the original leather color. I do not know exactly what causes the exact changes, but since leather is a natural product, it all ages differently. Your bag is one of the lucky ones.

OMG - I may be wrong on the 257 lanyard as I do not have any pictures or current inventory of any 257's with a lanyard and talons. I thought I had one or previously had one but cannot confirm. I'll keep an eye out on this.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Letsi for the additional datapoint. My YKK is much later ca. 2009 so maybe I was too hasty in painting all YKK bag leather with the broad brush.

I agree that temperature, climate, specific hides, etc can change how the leather ages as per GzStudio's post. In fact, my Talon duffle has the desirable aging on the straps and handles but not on the leather strap guides on the sides of the bag!

But having said that, my gut tells me that the bridle leather - how it has processed - has changed over the years and affects the way in which it ages (putting aside the issue of quality differences between old and new for the moment). For example, I don't feel my Filson zipper bags' leather will lighten or age in the same way as the old Talon bags. If it does, I will see it first on my 2014 heavy tin tote which is my gym bag and gets the type of frequent use and handling, element exposure etc that ages and fades leather.

I would be interested to see an example of a Filson zipper era bag with the bridle leather fading and the suede underside. They have been around a while now so if it was possible, there must be at least one example that experience the right mix of environmental exposure and use to create that look.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Otter - I agree. I think too Cranes offered discounts when perhaps they weren't really meant to, and that drove some volume.
I wonder why the 257 was discontinued? I've never seen one but on paper it looked a good proposition.
Funny when I was in search of that perfect Talon-Era Filson it wasn't the #257, it was actually the #256 in Otter Green. I had bought 2 of the #257's prior; one from Hanks and the other from Nieman Marcus. I ended returning both not because they were Bedrock; can you believe it lol? In total I've owned 4 Bedrock Filson's, sold 1 and returned 3. I returned one 257 because of the apparent leather issue, one side of the straps being of a light flimsy (almost cardboard like) leather. The other had that cheap wrinkling of the leather that was already starting to chip away. Plus the interior 22 oz twill dividers of the bag were clearly missing, replaced with lightweight waxed canvas. However the possibly 1990's #257 I possess today, although clearly heavier by its rugged twill contents, actually feels lighter on its feet. I'm glad I went with it because in the end I'd rather have the extra room when travelling, instead of having everything fit just right in the #256 but not have any extra space to spare. I would recommend looking for a Talon-Era #257 and experiencing all its glory for yourself....maybe @GzStudio has one that you fancy.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a bunch of the locks and keys. FYI, all locks from Filson use the same key.
LOL good to know, I'll be sure to be on the lookout when travelling for any Filsonado's that have a Filson branded lock and key. If I fall asleep I'll have be careful my bag is not in view, as I also have a Filson branded lock & key.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads