• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I look at those detailed photos posted by OMG, you can see the quality that is built into Filson's bags. Over the past 2 years, I have learned what it takes to make a leather product, especially noting what makes a good one and what details to look for in a bad one. Those pictures are examples of why these bags are $400 and not $40.

First thing to notice, look at the edges of all of the leather pieces. Do you see that they are smooth and dyed/treated? You can't see the grain in the leather edges of those D-ring patches. They are dyed and buffed smooth. Every piece, including the strap, the shoulder pad and the leather D-ring fold-over pieces, are all properly edged. Take a look at a lesser quality bag, even a Saddleback, and you won't see this level of quality. You'll see rough, feathery edges, cut and not finished at all. If you look at the oval holes in the shoulder pad, you'll see what a rough edge looks like. These aren't typically detailed as it would be nearly impossible in a production environment to get into those narrow oval holes and do any edging without adding another $50-100 to the cost of the bag. They are expensive enough, no need to add that cost.

Also, check the stitching of that D-ring leather patch. What appears to be a flaw in the stitching where you can see the stitches overlap, is actually a mark of quality. When stitching leather, you should make 2-3 stitches overlap by reversing the machine back over the previous stitches, thus locking the stitching into itself. What would seem to be a bad stitching job, is actually reflective of Filson's attention to detail. You'll also see extra stitches on the leather D-ring fold-over pieces (not sure what else to call them) on both sides. Filson recognizes that this would be a stress point, so they have double-backed on their stitching on both sides of this oval-shaped piece. And they did so with 4 stitches, not just the typical 2 or 3. A mark of quality.

Maybe everybody here knows these things already and if so, I apologize. If not, hopefully it helps in making purchase decisions in the future.
Good eye on the stitching. I never get tired of hearing about Filson's quality & attention to detail. That's why I now have owned 4 Filson's (modest when compared to many others here). I can't believe Saddleback doesn't share in that attention to detail when you think about how much more expensive they are.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG, I do see more wrinkling in the same photo roughly in line with the white garment tag in the background. Not dramatic in the pic but perhaps in person much more noticeable.

I was thinking like Mattsky that it might be the temporary moisturizing effect.

So different from the post-Bedrock leather wrinkling which might be a result of straps taken from less select parts of the hides - like Mattsky said - with more innate wrinkling. Whereas 15 years ago, they might have discarded these portions as scrap.

This may explain why you can get a 'good' strap and a'bad' one on the same bag! That is, like Saddleback, they are using more of the hide to save $. Most consumers for Filson won't notice unless they have an old one as a point of comparison.
I noticed that very same thing when I ordered two #70257's a year ago (returned both). They both had one heavy bridle leather strap & one lightweight strap (almost cardboard like). Obviously the interior dividers were of the lighter weight fabric but had bottoms to the sleeves (although a plus, wasn't enough for me to keep)

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just looked further at the strap images you posted and re-read the text. I might be tempted to apply some Bick 4 to the underside of that strap to better balance out the absorption of said moisture into the leather. It is very possible, that by applying to just the top of the strap, the underside is dry & contracted vs. the top side which has potentially absorbed moisture and therefore has swelled. Think of a dry sponge that you wet only at the top, it will curl up and if it can't, like that top layer of leather, it would wrinkle.

I know its a risk, but if it doesn't get better, what do you have to lose?
I think that might be a risk not worth taking to be honest, and when you consider a fairly noticeable variable. Also these Talon era leather shoulder straps are VERY hard to source. I only found one on eBay, it sold for $100, and was used.
Right the variable:
In the picture below I compared my "Talon Era" bridle leather shoulder strap to my 2010 #266 shoulder strap. Although it's still of better quality than these new Filson bridle, it's very similar in appearance. Both sides of the #266 are of a similar shade, & the topside/bottom are virtually similar also. On the "Talon Era" #257 you can see that the topside is completely different than the bottom. As stated previously, the bottom has a smooth suede like finish, that you can sweep around some. I believe any leather conditioner would need to be heavily soaked on this suede like material in order to achieve penetration. That would be too much of a risk for me.

I think I'll take @Soletrane original advice & do nothing to the leather from hence forth. Well, besides adding some HDLP to the D-Rings once a month, & maybe the stress points of the straps (that are hidden by outer pockets). I appreciate the advice
nonetheless

***the pictures don't really do it justice but trust me it's quite noticeable in person***

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that might be a risk not worth taking to be honest, and when you consider a fairly noticeable variable. Also these Talon era leather shoulder straps are VERY hard to source. I only found one on eBay, it sold for $100, and was used.
Right the variable:
In the picture below I compared my "Talon Era" bridle leather shoulder strap to my 2010 #266 shoulder strap. Although it's still of better quality than these new Filson bridle, it's very similar in appearance. Both sides of the #266 are of a similar shade, & the topside/bottom are virtually similar also. On the "Talon Era" #257 you can see that the topside is completely different than the bottom. As stated previously, the bottom has a smooth suede like finish, that you can sweep around some. I believe any leather conditioner would need to be heavily soaked on this suede like material in order to achieve penetration. That would be too much of a risk for me.

I think I'll take @Soletrane original advice & do nothing to the leather from hence forth. Well, besides adding some HDLP to the D-Rings once a month, & maybe the stress points of the straps (that are hidden by outer pockets). I appreciate the advice
nonetheless

***the pictures don't really do it justice but trust me it's quite noticeable in person***

View attachment 838907

View attachment 838908

OMG, as you have read the entire thread, you know I posted pics of the leather from various era bags. The early Talon ones do indeed have a suede feel to the underside. It's awesome stuff.

I think doing nothing rather than the wrong thing is the better course as I think frequent use means the oil, sweat etc of your hands and environment keeps the straps supple in my experience. I notice this with my bridle leather dog leash which gets a lot more use and weather exposure than my luggage.

I use Lexol as it's very light in terms of a cleaner or as a conditioner. I never notice any permanent undesirable changes.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG, as you have read the entire thread, you know I posted pics of the leather from various era bags. The early Talon ones do indeed have a suede feel to the underside. It's awesome stuff.

I think doing nothing rather than the wrong thing is the better course as I think frequent use means the oil, sweat etc of your hands and environment keeps the straps supple in my experience. I notice this with my bridle leather dog leash which gets a lot more use and weather exposure than my luggage.

I use Lexol as it's very light in terms of a cleaner or as a conditioner. I never notice any permanent undesirable changes.

I think I remember seeing that post, which was before I was lucky enough to find a 257 with the very same like suede material, and in virtually new condition too. Sound advice on doing nothing to the leather; well except for using it of course. I will more than take that advice into consideration.

Do you use Lexol on your Filson bridle ever or just the dog leash?

I love how you abbreviate my name into "OMG". When you first did that I thought you were saying "Oh My God", which I thought was out of frustration LOL. Speaking of "Oh My God"; Filson finally posted my review on their website concerning the new Sportsman. It took several weeks and several emails to their tech support, but my voice is on there. Personally, I think they were trying to suppress my voice and hide the review (which isn't really a review than it is a warning/disclaimer). I mainly took the time to do this because I was annoyed that Filson wasn't being clear about the revisions/shortcomings, and taking advantage of nostalgia. I also suspected the reviews as being fakes or just completely oblivious reviewers. Enjoy.

Here's my correspondence:
I wrote a review for the Sportsman Utility Bag a week ago and it has not been posted as of yet. I verified the review in my email as well.

Response:
Hello Matthew,

Thank you for contacting us here at Filson with your inquiry today. We have advised the website team to add your review to the site when they can; it should be up very soon. We apologize for the delay in posting that!

Best wishes,

Filson Customer Service
800-624-0201

Listing:
https://www.filson.com/luggage-bags/field-bags/sportsman-utility-bag.html#122

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG,
I saw your review. It's strongly worded but fair. I think it's okay to hold the company's toes to the fire if they start to plunder the brand. If post-Bedrock Filson is as market driven as their new catalogues suggest then they will be monitoring social media which will include this thread.

I think there are brands that hit a nadir and came back (e.g. Harley Davidson) and others that have floundered with brand identity when they lost their core clientele and went for the broader market (e.g. Eddie Bauer). I am hoping Filson is not going the Eddie Bauer root.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG,
I saw your review. It's strongly worded but fair. I think it's okay to hold the company's toes to the fire if they start to plunder the brand. If post-Bedrock Filson is as market driven as their new catalogues suggest then they will be monitoring social media which will include this thread.

I think there are brands that hit a nadir and came back (e.g. Harley Davidson) and others that have floundered with brand identity when they lost their core clientele and went for the broader market (e.g. Eddie Bauer). I am hoping Filson is not going the Eddie Bauer root.
Thanks man! I hope the same for Filson. Also I agree, and think I was more than fair giving a 3/5 star rating, I very well could've gave them a 1 star rating. To be honest I still respect them for trying.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ScottyG77

Reaction score
How fortunate for you to have Talon Era 256, 257 and 258. They all seem to be kept in great condition too.

I have a few 257's and 256's with Talon's (including my filson restoration 256). I only have (1) 258 with Talon's. If desired, I can show the leather on all zipper options of the bags from Talon, YKK, and Filson's branded. There is a difference, believe me.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few 257's and 256's with Talon's (including my filson restoration 256). I only have (1) 258 with Talon's. If desired, I can show the leather on all zipper options of the bags from Talon, YKK, and Filson's branded. There is a difference, believe me.
I think many here would appreciate that, and might enlighten a few. I myself have been preaching the difference for awhile on here. Sounds like you have quite the collection. I say this because you have more than one of the same bag in your collection, that's aficionado status.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who was Filson's core clientele, and when?

They started in the 1890's selling outdoor clothing from a logging store in Seattle selling mainly to prospectors headed North. Main core since then has been hunters, fishermen, and timber workers. With some ranchers and other outdoor workers thrown in especially where it is cold in the winter.

In 2005 Brentwood Associates purchased them and introduced a shift to casual wear. But worked at maintaining core target market audience. In 2012 Bedrock Mfg. purchased them. And now double tin cloth pants when new that used to stand up on their own no longer will. Some will say the new target market and core clientele is the urban lumbersexual.

Neognosis

Reaction score
None of the hunters and fishermen that I know have any Filson. Or anything made of waxed cotton, for that matter. They all wear modern fabrics.

I'm only basing that on a sample of 8 or 9, though.

Before I had children, I was an avid outdoorsman. I never even heard of filson. Outdoor research, TNF, Marmot, Patagonia, mountain hardwear, etc., but not Filson.

I sure know of them now, though, now that I have a better career and my outdoor activities are much more "sporting clays" and much less "backpacking."

So maybe their new market stragedy is working...

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look what I picked up today. More pics later but a Talon-era pre-Bedrock 256. Of course I now have TWO 256's. One older and one newer.

Kind of hard to see the zipper but it's a Talon next to the Filson-branded zipper.

Everything on the bags appear to be exactly the same (from a design standpoint) except for the key holder sewn in the front (which I actually like - may have to modify it)

IMG_1734.JPG

IMG_1735.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads