• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@dcg, @soletrane - Thanks so much for thinking of me and giving me the heads-up on the Meridian. Unfortunately I was out on the trails with my kids doing a 4 mile hike and didn't see your not until late last night.

Just my luck, the Meridian is sold out at Mr. Porter....

Ugh...

I did carry my Medium Travel Bag again this weekend and, while I really love the size of this bag, the boxiness of it just does not make me happy. Even lightly filled, I noticed it too boxy for my taste and it did the "MTB flip" a couple times as i pulled it out of the trunk. Will prob put it on ebay.

Let me know if any of you would be interested in buying the tan Medium Travel Bag - used only 6-8 times. Great shape!

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@dcg, @soletrane - Thanks so much for thinking of me and giving me the heads-up on the Meridian. Unfortunately I was out on the trails with my kids doing a 4 mile hike and didn't see your not until late last night.

Just my luck, the Meridian is sold out at Mr. Porter....

Ugh...

I did carry my Medium Travel Bag again this weekend and, while I really love the size of this bag, the boxiness of it just does not make me happy. Even lightly filled, I noticed it too boxy for my taste and it did the "MTB flip" a couple times as i pulled it out of the trunk. Will prob put it on ebay.

Let me know if any of you would be interested in buying the tan Medium Travel Bag - used only 6-8 times. Great shape!
I kept delaying purchasing - secretly hoping it would be sell out - but after a while I just succumbed...

As per one of your earlier post, I am crossing my fingers this bag "fixes" some of the issues I have had with other Filson bags I've owned: boxiness, no external pockets, clamshell design, not enough capacity etc. I'll have to see if the tin cloth + lining is actually an improvement over just one layer of the heavier twill.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I kept delaying purchasing - secretly hoping it would be sell out - but after a while I just succumbed...

As per one of your earlier post, I am crossing my fingers this bag "fixes" some of the issues I have had with other Filson bags I've owned: boxiness, no external pockets, clamshell design, not enough capacity etc.   I'll have to see if the tin cloth + lining is actually an improvement over just one layer of the heavier twill.   

I've mentioned this in the past, but I highly recommend the updated - though also discontinued - version of the Large Carry on (the 70081).

Technically slightly smaller capacity than the medium travel, but I find it's easier to fit more inside. 9" depth makes it less boxy and also more airplane friendly (it'll fit in the overhead of smaller planes if you don't really stuff it, and I've even shoved under a seat for a flight). 1 full length zipper and 1 full length non-zip pocket on the outside. Has the clamshell zipper, but it's at the top of the bag, so you don't have to split the contents between two sides, and it's very easy to pack. Dimensions are pretty much perfect to fit two Eagle Creek packing cubes side by side, and you can probably go three deep (six total). Straps on the sides vs on the back, so it carries better/closer to the body - I'm surprised at how comfortable it is every time I pick it up. I like mine more the more I use it; just got back from 10 days in Europe with it.

RaggedyDandy

Reaction score
I had decent success applying small layers of wax with a Greenland bar (i.e., only as much as would successfully blend at a time). Think of it like applying wax polish to shell cordovan.

I think there are a couple of variables happening here - I reproof my Barbour jacket with the thornproof dressing, melted to a liquid for application. Using a wax bar (likely with a different composition and melting point) on a different style of fabric changes things.

Sounds like a great experiment to determine what works best. As a new guy around here, I'd be happy to take it for the team and do it. I simply need to have another Barbour jacket (as a control, natch), two Filson bags, and a bar of wax sent to me. Feel free to talk among yourselves to figure out who will send them, then PM me for shipping details, mmmmkay?

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait! @soletrane - did you buy the Meridian duffle? I didn't know that was on your list...

Really curious as to your thoughts and/or pictures.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wait!  @soletrane - did you buy the Meridian duffle?  I didn't know that was on your list...

Really curious as to your thoughts and/or pictures.

You are right - it wasn't on my "buy list" at MSRP. But at 50% off, I thought I would try it out!! If I like it, I will sell the Sportsman 266. As I am looking for "one bag to rule them all" not a collection.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You LOVE your 266! I'll really be curious as to your opinion about the Meridian. I really wish I was in a location that would carry a complete Filson inventory. St. Louis has a few sporting shops but not a very complete collection of bags.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do love the 266! But I don't want a whole lotta bags with essentially the exact same function (carryon/weekender). Maybe need to convert it into a gym bag? A bit elaborate for that maybe, I dunno.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've mentioned this in the past, but I highly recommend the updated - though also discontinued - version of the Large Carry on (the 70081).

Technically slightly smaller capacity than the medium travel, but I find it's easier to fit more inside. 9" depth makes it less boxy and also more airplane friendly (it'll fit in the overhead of smaller planes if you don't really stuff it, and I've even shoved under a seat for a flight). 1 full length zipper and 1 full length non-zip pocket on the outside. Has the clamshell zipper, but it's at the top of the bag, so you don't have to split the contents between two sides, and it's very easy to pack. Dimensions are pretty much perfect to fit two Eagle Creek packing cubes side by side, and you can probably go three deep (six total). Straps on the sides vs on the back, so it carries better/closer to the body - I'm surprised at how comfortable it is every time I pick it up. I like mine more the more I use it; just got back from 10 days in Europe with it.

dcg, def an underrated bag. The vertical orientation/suitcase configuration rules when you travel by air and have to haul the bag around a terminal . Your bag seems to fix most the issues I have with the predecessor, the 242. The 242, I just keep due to it's tank like feel. It like it for car trips and I even check it with no worries. But as a carryon, it is mediocre.

dukerules

Reaction score
I was gifted the Large Carry On about a year ago. I came close to returning it, as I already had a MTB. But I have found that it is an almost-perfect carry-on bag for short trips, nice and compact, but with great storage capacity, and easy to carry on the shoulder or in hand. It's a shame that Filson has discontinued some of its best bags.

Gresh

Reaction score
I have a Filson 266 (Sportsman Bag) in pristine shape (Otter Green) that I'm thinking about selling. If interested in pics, let me know.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All these posts have me wondering: who on this site has the most Filson bags? I get the feeling that Soletrane is up there.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would be embarrassed to admit how many I have (or even to count the actual #).

Possible that @nevadabob has me beat. That's what I'm counting on, anyway :)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads