• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sappy

Reaction score
Agreed. Well said
Let me start out by saying that Vermilyea Pelle made some tremendously impressive bags and charged a more then reasonable price, however I am not surprised by this news. VP was clearly inspired by Filson in many ways, but they did not differentiate themselves from Filson enough, such as brands like Frost River. From a former Small Business Owner myself, I wish the best for Dustin in whatever venture he pursues next and commend him on his business efforts.
I agree. Well said

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me start out by saying that Vermilyea Pelle made some tremendously impressive bags and charged a more then reasonable price, however I am not surprised by this news. VP was clearly inspired by Filson in many ways, but they did not differentiate themselves from Filson enough, such as brands like Frost River. From a former Small Business Owner myself, I wish the best for Dustin in whatever venture he pursues next and commend him on his business efforts.
I had one of his briefcases. It was extremely rugged and well made. But I tended to use my full leather Filson satchel as a briefcase (in those days where I went to an office daily) and recently gave the VP to a UK based friend.

It seemed to be a very small operation so very limited stock (often sold out online) and little marketing. I don’t think it failed due to any unfavorable comparisons to Filson but rather due to the challenges of running a small artisanal business. It was also well below the size and brand recognition where some VC co would sweep in, buy it and shift production overseas.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey folks. Just dropping by, so busy these days it seems like 6 months goes by in a heartbeat.
@OtterMeanGreen - nice pullman there. You were asking last month about Nanamica 261 totes: My wife has one that I snagged used, but brand new - for $80 Aussie! That was about 2015/2016 ish. She's used it a lot, and it looks great. Twill seems about the same as the tan/otter variants of the Filson zipper era.

Shown here with my Outfitter 239 (super, super rare here in the UK, snagged on marketplace for about £60!!).

And, while not Filson, here's a couple of pouches I created on a 1930's sewing machine, using reclaimed leather and zippers. Very satisfying!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 13.36.10.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 13.36.10.png
    3 MB · Views: 220
  • Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 13.42.39.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 13.42.39.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 215

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone know the approach to fix this? On my old Briefcase the brass clasp just slips through the straps hole after all the years of rubbing. I just need a new brass clasp, but wanted to get the right one with the opening where I can push/reset it into the strap.

The red my problem area

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    419.1 KB · Views: 730
  • capture2.PNG
    capture2.PNG
    96.1 KB · Views: 720

Cbfox

Reaction score
Anyone know the approach to fix this? On my old Briefcase the brass clasp just slips through the straps hole after all the years of rubbing. I just need a new brass clasp, but wanted to get the right one with the opening where I can push/reset it into the strap.

The red my problem area
That happened to mine years ago. I wrote Filson and they sent me a replacement (my recollection is for free). I removed the rivet, replaced the clip, and installed a brass screw rivet.

Wandering

Reaction score
Any experience here with the Foul Weather Jacket? (re-released from archives)
original

It certainly looks the part, in fact might be one of the best looking rain jackets I've ever seen.
But I'm wondering how warm it is given it comes without a liner. I'm not planning to use it in frost temperatures, rather on windy and rainy early winter/ early spring days during walks.

OutdoorsMed

Reaction score
1703804855506.png

1703804871632.png

Recently purchased a black Filson 258. Very excited about this bag.

I have been using a Navy 24 hour briefcase. One thing I hate about bags is when they seem stuffed. Unfortunately this bag quickly fills up after a water bottle, light jacket, gloves, and other winter stragglers.
1703805071825.png

1703804950517.png

I have also been using the waterfield atlas holdall. Chase reeves did a great review on the bag:

I don't post in here often but good to see you all! Excited to use my 258. It's interesting that online this bag seems to either be perfect size when squished down or can balloon out to become a ludicrously capacious bag. I need something that can handle all your basic work stuff plus a pair of shoes and jacket.

Sappy

Reaction score
View attachment 2099831
View attachment 2099837

Recently purchased a black Filson 258. Very excited about this bag.

I have been using a Navy 24 hour briefcase. One thing I hate about bags is when they seem stuffed. Unfortunately this bag quickly fills up after a water bottle, light jacket, gloves, and other winter stragglers.
View attachment 2099879
View attachment 2099877

I have also been using the waterfield atlas holdall. Chase reeves did a great review on the bag:

I don't post in here often but good to see you all! Excited to use my 258. It's interesting that online this bag seems to either be perfect size when squished down or can balloon out to become a ludicrously capacious bag. I need something that can handle all your basic work stuff plus a pair of shoes and jacket.

The black looks really good on the 258. Enjoy it!

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Filson leather a thing of yesteryear?
Saw a lovely briefcase and went down a rabbithole, with no luck, save for outdated links and very expensive secondhand items

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a non Filson related post that i know at least 3 of our longtime members will appreciate.

Two footwear purchases came through and man I am in love.

16945000-7FB8-4502-83C9-CCCA34614C0F.jpeg

@M635Guy exposed me to the wonders of Grant Stone when I was looking to acquiring the Indy Boot in Natural CXL. Below is my Plain Toe Veg Tanned that I bought for a wedding. I have yet to break them in but i am looking forward to the experience. The quality is hands down exceptional!!

A92C13B4-C55A-4BAA-880D-4E3B5AB356BD.jpeg

@TinMan3 and @speedy611 i am now the proud owner of my first pair of Red Wings. The 3141 Work Chukkas in Briar Oil Slick

57A265E0-F193-4FD9-9B65-5EE19B081F52.jpeg

Since I wasn’t happy with the laces Red Wing supplied for this model, I changed it. Ordered a whole lot of leather from Wickett and Craig Tannery in natural Latigo.

14BCADFE-AFF6-4955-ADC1-A4D69C61B928.jpeg

Last edited:

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice! How is Grant stone sizing compared to Alden and Allen Edmonds? For reference I'm an 11E in allen edmonds 65 last and 11D in Alden Barrie Last.
You'd size exactly as Barrie for most of their lasts. I haven't tried the new lasts (Floyd?) for the Field Boot and the Brass Boot, but the Leo last used for a lot of their boots is pretty similar to Barrie, with a bit more room in the toes.

For comparison, I'm a 12D Brannock, and 11.5D in Barrie and Leo and 11.5E in the 5-last. For the most part, I find Leo a hair more-comfortable than Barrie, but they're both awesome. :)

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@M635Guy exposed me to the wonders of Grant Stone when I was looking to acquiring the Indy Boot in Natural CXL. Below is my Plain Toe Veg Tanned that I bought for a wedding. I have yet to break them in but i am looking forward to the experience. The quality is hands down exceptional!!

Glad to hear they're doing well for you :) All my Grant Stone stuff has been outstanding

TheRolls321

Reaction score
Happy holidays all. The best presents are the most unexpected ones (although I was the one who gave it to myself after seeing an unbelievable deal...again). I finally have a Filson briefcase in the collection, the particular model being a 258 in Otter Green with a May 2013 build date. Twill is stiff as ever and gave the leather a good condition & buff. Don't mind the size whatsoever, in fact, it's actually perfect for work and travel. As a fountain pen enthusiast, I'm fond of the generous pen slots located in the front pocket kept away from the main compartment. This thing is built like a tank. Going to make a great travel combo with my matching OG large rucksack.

image0.jpeg

IMG_4489.jpg

For the record, I'm able to fit Montblanc 149 and Pelikan M1000 size pens in the middle two slots and up to Montblanc LeGrand size pens on the flanks. The zipper is high enough that my hand shields whichever pen I choose from getting scraped to death

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads