• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

marinemustang

Reaction score
Otter Mean Green is back in the house! This forum has taken on a much slower pace the past year or so. I think the advent of the Facebook user groups has had a pretty overwhelming effect on the activity here.

Or maybe it's me.

I have a bunch of bags that I need to sell. Anyone looking for anything in particular?
Any 24 or 48hr Briefs for sale?

Bespoke49er

Reaction score
Regardless, Filson’s marketing department or whoever finds those stories to write about does a killer job. Totally epic.

So, not to discount your point, but I bet their gear is HIGHLY specialized for what they do and Filson would have no place in the actual work that they do. But I’m not military or anything like it so I could be wrong.

TO your point, when not on a rescue mission, they should absolutely be decked out in Filson, like the rest of us ;) haha.
For sure, they’ve got specialized gear. Maybe I need to spend more time with them off duty…they might be secret Filson thread members!! 🧐😂

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
x-post from the thrift thread.

tote bag with zipper, comes with the padlock.

IMG_1160.jpeg

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Several years ago I snagged a Bucket Bag. Truly simple, small and handy in a pinch. Anyone else have one of these gems?
Mind sharing a pic? I assume you may be referring to the 260 open tote? Daily driver for me. Never thought I would find it so exceptionally useful!

4D75AAE7-7899-41D3-A976-EBEBBE0C1F68.jpeg

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey something I thought I'd never do, boys and girls. Bought myself a nylon duffle (the Duffle Pack) from Filson. I'm headed to Boulder next weekend and wanted to carry something that was lightweight and functional. The reviews on this thing are crazy good. Received it yesterday - although haven't used it yet. I'll give you a full review after I get back. So far, it seems pretty nice.

Never thought I'd buy one of these. (stock pic attached)
1673814536235.png

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey something I thought I'd never do, boys and girls. Bought myself a nylon duffle (the Duffle Pack) from Filson. I'm headed to Boulder next weekend and wanted to carry something that was lightweight and functional. The reviews on this thing are crazy good. Received it yesterday - although haven't used it yet. I'll give you a full review after I get back. So far, it seems pretty nice.

Never thought I'd buy one of these. (stock pic attached) View attachment 1879137
With all of your rugged twill options, what made you opt for this bag? Not knocking it per-say but simply wondering what it offers that your twill options do not.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all of your rugged twill options, what made you opt for this bag? Not knocking it per-say but simply wondering what it offers that your twill options do not.
Hmmm. Good question, TinMan.

As a way to answer your question, let me walk through my CURRENT weekend bag options:
- 48 hour duffle
- Medium Duffle
- Medium Waterproof Duffle
- Heritage Sportsman
- Away aluminum roller suitcase

And my logic to how I got here:
Eliminating the Sportsman (as a bit too small for a true weekender), the Waterproof duffle (which has a very specific use-case) and the Away suitcase (while convenient, I'd rather 'carry' this trip), it came down to the 48 hour or the medium duffle.

These are both very good choices, clearly.

That said, I've been eyeing the Duffle Pack for a while as it was always intriguing to me. Two factors give it an advantage: lightweight and the backpack straps. By my simple math, it's about half the weight of the 48 hour (which is kinda heavy for what it is, if you ask me). I didn't weigh it against the med. duffle.

My plan this week is to lay out all the things I'm taking and do a comparison of these three bags. Do a full 'load-out' test and make the decision from there. I am not sure what my final decision will be but, if there's interest, I'll share here later. Because this is a winter trip (doing snowshoeing, etc.), I may have to carry a slightly heavier load than, say a trip to the beach.

Oh, and it's been a LONG time since I bought a Filson bag, so that may have contributed to it a bit too! So far, my initial impression of the duffle pack is very good - albeit lacking any of the true heritage that makes the twill bags so iconic.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
I am not sure what my final decision will be but, if there's interest, I'll share here later.

There is interest! I’ve all the listed bags and so far mostly grabbed the 48 Hour for aesthetics as well as function for the activities of my trips (just visits to cities - think mostly dining and shopping). I can see how the nylon might be very advantageous given outdoor activities you mentioned. That is, if it is big enough. I look forward to seeing what works for you.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just reminiscing this forum as I took pictures of some of my Talon bags to show to another member. I was reminded while I took them why I love these bags. The new ones are awesome and will last just as long, but there is something incredible about the Talon era bags. I don’t know if it’s the leather or the stiffness of the twill, but damn, they are really something special. I miss our heated debates on the thickness of the twill and the durability of the leather or whether the hardware was solid brass or not (I still win that one @OtterMeanGreen 🤷‍♂️). Anyways, here’s a few of my Talons for your viewing pleasure.

View attachment 1876620
View attachment 1876621
View attachment 1876643

I miss our heated debates on the thickness of the twill and the durability of the leather or whether the hardware was solid brass or not (I still win that one @OtterMeanGreen 🤷‍♂️).

Will the new ones really last as long as the already 20 year old + Talon Era? I’m not so convinced yet…we’ll get back to that one in another 9 or 10 years I guess. :fonz:

Had to go there, for old times sake. I miss the debates as well. We both have our fair share of trophies, no doubt…I can’t win them all. :lol:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanjida191