• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

milw50717

Reaction score

How about this "rebranded and inspired" 258 then?

I may be splitting hairs here, but rebranded has connotations that the item is manufactured by Filson, but is sold under another brand name to address different market segments, etc.

So far we have seen homages or 'inspired by', but no out and out fakes. Let me define fakes as items that bear the Filson name but were not made by them or under license from them.

Last edited:

letsi

Reaction score

Is that bbbf actually made by Filson? I have it and the canvas isn't as substantial unfortunately

I may be splitting hairs here, but rebranded has connotations that the item is manufactured by Filson, but is sold under another brand name to address different market segments, etc.

So far we have seen homages or 'inspired by', but no out and out fakes. Let me define fakes as items that bear the Filson name but were not made by them or under license from them.

Nope, I don't think they are made by Filson, I'm just surprised no one has jumped on BB saying they ripped off the design like what happened to some other manufacturers in this thread earlier. Below's the link for the product. How long did Namor have this bag for?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Macki...d=1&siteID=th9ILo5LtqE-TdeNRGQzGMTYyrxH0nIwkw

Could I ask what makes you think they are not legit Filson goods ?

I guess I probably meant if they are a legit store or if anyone manages to buy one off them and have received and examined the goods.

eldude

Reaction score
alrite, well if any of you recall several months ago my cat peed on my green briefcase and after trying everything (handwashing with detergent, enzyme spray, etc) the smell remained and eventually i threw it out onto my deck beneath an awning in disgust. i couldnt really bring myself to throw it out but it was also very much not useable. there it sat all summer long until i cleaned things up this past week and was ready to toss it for good when, lo and behold i picked it up and the smell was finally gone. however the exposed fabric got pretty bleached by the sun and now has a very...unique....two tone look. it is what it is and im just glad to have it back again and be able to use it, but id prefer to even the color out a bit. is there anything i can do to get creative with some sort of accelerated fade/patina on the rest (outside of leaving the backside in the sun for another few months). or should i just roll with it as is. also do you think i need to re-apply any sort of wax/repellant?

Last edited:

eldude

Reaction score
oh yeah, i actually prefer the bleached/dirtied frontside to the more pristine green rear. its just typically under normal circumstances they tend to wear a little more evenly and theres a very sharp transition...kind of like a tan line. but im cool with it, been using it all week

Last edited:

wanksy

Reaction score
My 256 just arrived, might post some pics soon.
Kinda glad that I didn't pick up the 257. 256 seems to be the perfect size to fit my needs.

wanksy

Reaction score
alrite, well if any of you recall several months ago my cat peed on my green briefcase and after trying everything (handwashing with detergent, enzyme spray, etc) the smell remained and eventually i threw it out onto my deck beneath an awning in disgust. i couldnt really bring myself to throw it out but it was also very much not useable. there it sat all summer long until i cleaned things up this past week and was ready to toss it for good when, lo and behold i picked it up and the smell was finally gone. however the exposed fabric got pretty bleached by the sun and now has a very...unique....two tone look. it is what it is and im just glad to have it back again and be able to use it, but id prefer to even the color out a bit. is there anything i can do to get creative with some sort of accelerated fade/patina on the rest (outside of leaving the backside in the sun for another few months). or should i just roll with it as is. also do you think i need to re-apply any sort of wax/repellant?

Tbh that looks great. I might be tempted to get a cat and let it peed on mine as well :). Just roll with it!

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Nope, I don't think they are made by Filson, I'm just surprised no one has jumped on BB saying they ripped off the design like what happened to some other manufacturers in this thread earlier. Below's the link for the product. How long did Namor have this bag for?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Macki...d=1&siteID=th9ILo5LtqE-TdeNRGQzGMTYyrxH0nIwkw
I guess I probably meant if they are a legit store or if anyone manages to buy one off them and have received and examined the goods.

yeah the patterns and design looks almost identical. have had my bag for about a year now, worn for 4 months. decent quality. If filson is supposed to last a lifetime, id expect BBBF to last half as long. Good quality overall but not as substantial

HenryIII

Reaction score
M
alrite, well if any of you recall several months ago my cat peed on my green briefcase and after trying everything (handwashing with detergent, enzyme spray, etc) the smell remained and eventually i threw it out onto my deck beneath an awning in disgust. i couldnt really bring myself to throw it out but it was also very much not useable. there it sat all summer long until i cleaned things up this past week and was ready to toss it for good when, lo and behold i picked it up and the smell was finally gone. however the exposed fabric got pretty bleached by the sun and now has a very...unique....two tone look. it is what it is and im just glad to have it back again and be able to use it, but id prefer to even the color out a bit. is there anything i can do to get creative with some sort of accelerated fade/patina on the rest (outside of leaving the backside in the sun for another few months). or should i just roll with it as is. also do you think i need to re-apply any sort of wax/repellant? [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR]
I think it looks great as well! The patina we all strive for!

Last edited:

Ejirardo

Reaction score
Just picked up the Filson Pullman in Navy

nevadabob

Reaction score
Filson's Restoration Department has officially launched. My opinion: A fool and his money are soon parted.

letsi

Reaction score

yeah the patterns and design looks almost identical. have had my bag for about a year now, worn for 4 months. decent quality. If filson is supposed to last a lifetime, id expect BBBF to last half as long. Good quality overall but not as substantial

Good to know. Thanks for sharing :)

Filson's Restoration Department has officially launched. My opinion: A fool and his money are soon parted.

I'm with you on this... :slayer:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads